e85 storage?

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
I'm going to convert to that sweet sweet corn but the only problem is that the nearest e85 station is way out of my way (about 60 miles). My idea is to get 2-3 55 gallon drums and store them at my house. I only drive my car 2 times a week so my question would be if the drums are completely sealed and only opened when I fill up my car, would the e85 go bad quickly or at least how long would I have? I just don't want to be stuck with 100+ gallons of bad gas.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I stored about 5 gallons for 9 months in a plastic jug and it showed no signs of separation. Smelled the same. I tested it with a test tube and got identical ethanol % as when I bought it at the pump. Poured it into the gas tank and it ran and datalogged as good as fresh. Ironic thing is, I've done the same storage test with pump 93 and it separated within 4 months. And smelled terrible. No way would I run that even in my lawn mower.

Having said that....I would try and keep your ethanol storage supply at 6 months or less. Why chance it. Most will recommend you keep the container slightly off ground level.

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
I stored about 5 gallons for 9 months in a plastic jug and it showed no signs of separation. Smelled the same. I tested it with a test tube and got identical ethanol % as when I bought it at the pump. Poured it into the gas tank and it ran and datalogged as good as fresh. Ironic thing is, I've done the same storage test with pump 93 and it separated within 4 months. And smelled terrible. No way would I run that even in my lawn mower.

Having said that....I would try and keep your ethanol storage supply at 6 months or less. Why chance it. Most will recommend you keep the container slightly off ground level.
Wow, I always hear of e85 going bad but 93 going bad first is surprising. I'm probably going to store it slightly off the ground and stored for no longer than 6 months at a time. Thanks for the info

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Wow, I always hear of e85 going bad but 93 going bad first is surprising. I'm probably going to store it slightly off the ground and stored for no longer than 6 months at a time. Thanks for the info

No problem, I was right there with concerns at one time about ten years ago. The people that claim ethanol "goes bad fast.."....typically....they've never actually even used it. I first tried it 2012 and as time has gone by and I've stored it, changed plugs, pulled fuel filters....it's actually old gas that scares me far worse than old ethanol. It stores remarkably well.

Users who are viewing this thread