E85 smell on oil dipstick

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I hope you do, I'm curious myself. I've never noticed the oil smelling like E85. My normal operating tempt is about 185-190 and always make sure if I start it I let it get hot. I run a breather tank, no PCV, I do have EGR though. We know your tunes pretty spot on, done by 04Sleeper, and if anything you at the leaner end of the target.

Don't really have much to add, posting mostly so I can keep an eye of the thread.

Yeah I just asked Kevin (04sleeper) about it. The weather is cooler here now in Minnesota, my engine temps seem to stay in the 170's. Mid summer while driving in town I've seen my engine temps in the low 180's. I may adjust the fans, I have a 170* t stat.

cj428mach

Established Member
Engine oil always has a faint smell of the fuel you're burning or at least thats been my experience. Mine smells like e85 but I'm not worried about it, I thought I read Kevin had his oil tested once and smelled of e85 but tested great.

We have a large fleet of trucks and we can get our oil tested for free, I'll try to remember to grab an oil sample next time I make a change. It'll be months though before I do a change as I changed the oil 3 times already in about 3 hours of run time after fixing the head tick, lol.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Engine oil always has a faint smell of the fuel you're burning or at least thats been my experience. Mine smells like e85 but I'm not worried about it, I thought I read Kevin had his oil tested once and smelled of e85 but tested great.

We have a large fleet of trucks and we can get our oil tested for free, I'll try to remember to grab an oil sample next time I make a change. It'll be months though before I do a change as I changed the oil 3 times already in about 3 hours of run time after fixing the head tick, lol.

Yeah Kevin did do a test, I found that thread. If it's normal I'm not to worried. Maybe I'll change the oil twice in the 6-7 months I have it out just to be safe.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
My oils always smells like that. As mentioned, most oil smells like the fuel you are running. Since Ethanol has a distinctive smell, it tends to smell more. As long as your fuel trims are correct and WOT fueling is correct, you should be just fine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My oils always smells like that. As mentioned, most oil smells like the fuel you are running. Since Ethanol has a distinctive smell, it tends to smell more. As long as your fuel trims are correct and WOT fueling is correct, you should be just fine.

I peaked at my wideband during a wot the other day and it said 11.8 so I believe it's spot on. Very true, ethanol is much easier to smell.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yeah I just asked Kevin (04sleeper) about it. The weather is cooler here now in Minnesota, my engine temps seem to stay in the 170's. Mid summer while driving in town I've seen my engine temps in the low 180's. I may adjust the fans, I have a 170* t stat.
You can also try running your A/C. With mine on i see +10-15* ECTs

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
EcoBoost oil smells like it has so much fuel in it after 5,000 miles I think it may actually be flammable (instead of combustible).

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I sent in a sample to blackstone, only had about 800 miles on that oil and 5-6 tanks of e85.

Users who are viewing this thread