E85 smell on oil dipstick

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
From the little info I found searching this seems pretty common when running e85. I just wanted to confirm with more knowledgeable people about this topic to find out if it's true? I checked my oil tonight and noticed what smelled like e85.

I run royal purple hps 5w30 and change it once a year before putting it in winter storage. The oil itself has about 800 miles on it and only about 4-5 tanks of e85. When I change the oil in the next few weeks for storage I'm going to send some oil to blackstone for testing. Thanks for the help!

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
According to ams oil , you gotta send in your oil to get lab tested to truly tell. I run Mobil 1 and change out every 3k miles sometimes 2k depending on the e85 smell lol but over all I start to smell the e85 at around 2k .

I blame the EGR/ PVC / blow by lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
According to ams oil , you gotta send in your oil to get lab tested to truly tell. I run Mobil 1 and change out every 3k miles sometimes 2k depending on the e85 smell lol but over all I start to smell the e85 at around 2k .

I blame the EGR/ PVC / blow by lol

So you get the e85 smell? The royal purple hps oil has a different smell to it to begin with. So at first I thought my nose was playing tricks on me, but I swear I smell a hint of e85.

I can't believe with as many people on here running e85, that this hasn't been brought up much.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I change the oil every 1500miles. But once I did let it hit 2000k miles. I did detect e85 smell from engine oil.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I change the oil every 1500miles. But once I did let it hit 2000k miles. I did detect e85 smell from engine oil.

Do you drive for long periods of time? Mine are short drive's maybe 30-45 minutes each time. The oil itself only has about 800 miles or so and only 4-5 tanks of e85.

Rambro

Established Member
I'm almost positive 04sleeper has said he has sent in samples of oil that smelled like e85 and the lab said it was still good to go.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm almost positive 04sleeper has said he has sent in samples of oil that smelled like e85 and the lab said it was still good to go.

Yup, I just found a thread from a couple years ago and he stated it in there. Wondering if it's just vapors getting in there?

XCSEDAN

Established Member
if it smells like e85 drop it, it'll be starting to sheer before you know it.

if the car does a lot of cold starts and never gets warm it'll make this issue common, or short trips.
sitting will do the same thing.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
if it smells like e85 drop it, it'll be starting to sheer before you know it.

if the car does a lot of cold starts and never gets warm it'll make this issue common, or short trips.
sitting will do the same thing.

It did after some driving, but a day later I checked again and the smell was gone. I always drive the car long enough that the engine gets to operating temperature.

My concern is this is going to happen within a few full tanks of e85. Then what I'm suppose to change the oil every time?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Sid, I plan on doing that. Just went for a cruise and checked it afterwards. Didn't smell it this time either. Weird.

Mystic03

Established Member
you're always going to get that smell in your oil..to help with dilution you can bump to a 10w40 and usually driving 30min tends to burn off the small amounts of fuel..atleast on my build...after driving i will pull dipstick and have no scent of e85...only when it sits for weeks at a time.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
you're always going to get that smell in your oil..to help with dilution you can bump to a 10w40 and usually driving 30min tends to burn off the small amounts of fuel..atleast on my build...after driving i will pull dipstick and have no scent of e85...only when it sits for weeks at a time.
That's some good info. I'm a little leary about running 10w30 or 10w40. Sometimes my car does sit 5-7 days before driving it again.

I'm changing oil right now and still have 7 qts of rr hps 5w30, so I'll use that this time around.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think another problem might be the fact my engine isn't getting hot enough. It's been a little cooler out lately and highway driving my coolant temps stay around 172-174, and around 176-178 in town.

I have a 170* t stat. I'm going to adjust the fans today and see if I can get the engine temps to stay in the 180's.

Mystic03

Established Member
That's some good info. I'm a little leary about running 10w30 or 10w40. Sometimes my car does sit 5-7 days before driving it again.

I'm changing oil right now and still have 7 qts of rr hps 5w30, so I'll use that this time around.

Thats how my car is..well both..in running 530 because i change every 3 months regardless of mileage bumping to a 10w40 just helps with longer change intervals itll rob a little power but whats 6hp...than a new motor..tune should be spot on it your e85 imo

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Changed the oil, looks normal. But likely get it tested.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
Do you drive for long periods of time? Mine are short drive's maybe 30-45 minutes each time. The oil itself only has about 800 miles or so and only 4-5 tanks of e85.
That's all I drive too. 30-45mim been doing this for over years now.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Changed the oil, looks normal. But likely get it tested.

I hope you do, I'm curious myself. I've never noticed the oil smelling like E85. My normal operating tempt is about 185-190 and always make sure if I start it I let it get hot. I run a breather tank, no PCV, I do have EGR though. We know your tunes pretty spot on, done by 04Sleeper, and if anything you at the leaner end of the target.

Don't really have much to add, posting mostly so I can keep an eye of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread