e85 Questions

thebuffalo11

Established Member
Hello everybody. I have some questions about e85. I have a 08 GT500 with the TVS blower and 2.5" pulley. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 650 wheel. I would like to run e85.

It's always been my understanding that if I wanted to go e85 I would have to put a return style fuel system, with injectors, with pumps, with lines, basically with everything.

Recently I've been told by multiple sources people running it, that all I really need is bigger injectors and a booster pump.

Is this true? can anybody give me some input. Because if all I need is a tune, boost a pump and 1000 or 1300 injectors I could buy right now..

Joewee500

Established Member
For 08 I'm pretty sure you need a return setup with id1000s. I had a triple pump returnless setup that I was told may or may not support e85. I didnt want to risk it. BJ at vmp has a dual pump return system that's doing 800+ on e85.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
For 08 I'm pretty sure you need a return setup with id1000s. I had a triple pump returnless setup that I was told may or may not support e85. I didnt want to risk it. BJ at vmp has a dual pump return system that's doing 800+ on e85.

Not true. I'm running E85 on a returnless setup. I did upgrade everything though, pumps, injectors, lines, rails and added a BAP. I'd say if you want to make 800+rwhp on E85 then I'd go return style but before that it's not necessary.

thebuffalo11

Established Member
I don't necessarily need to be 800+. Looking for a 100 hp gain. Put me around 700-750. I already have id1000. Just trying to see if I can squeek by with only getting a bap, and tune.

Or if I NEED return style/pumps rails line etc..

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
The only way to find out is to try it with your setup and add a BAP. Datalog and see where you're at. I did rails and lines because I wanted to partially set up for a return style down the line. Not sure if they are necessary though. Definitely put a new filter on when you test and tune though. You don't want any restrictions setting up a new system.

Joewee500

Established Member
Not true. I'm running E85 on a returnless setup. I did upgrade everything though, pumps, injectors, lines, rails and added a BAP. I'd say if you want to make 800+rwhp on E85 then I'd go return style but before that it's not necessary.

I said may or may not, or pretty sure. After you spent all the money and work replacing all the parts why didn't you just go return? Anyway, the OP wants to squeak by, so I'm sure there's away to do that.

builttodrive

Established Member
I'm running E85 in my 07 with my mods in my signature. I am running ID1000 's and VMP dual Boost a pumps. I am however at the limit of the fuel system. I had to return from 6,400 rev limiter back to stock 6250 to keep my fuel pump duty cycle in check.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
It takes roughly 30 percent more fuel to safely run e85. If you already see peaked fuel pump duty cycle you're not going to add 30 percent greater flow /volume with a fuel pump booster.

"Getting away with.... " is not a sound strategy, in our opinion nor in our experience. This is specifically addressing 07-10 cars. 11-12 is marginally better. 13-14 is a different animal.

Last edited:

gearhead08

Established Member
Just entering my 2 cents do what you please. I have ID1000's and VMP dual boosters on my 09 GT500. I am at 668rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Fuel system is maxxed out. Is it smart? Probably not. Has it been working for over a year now? Yes. Will yours? You will never know until you try it. My next setup is going to get bigger pumps, lines and fuel rails just like phantom halo to put back on the safe side. I have a wideband. I always make some test pulls before I beat on it. If it looks good I have some fun. Yes something can go wrong with the other pulls when I am not paying attention to the wideband at that time, but that can happen with any setup.

hotford

Established Member
DW300M drop into the existing hat with mo mods,flow 340 lph each add that with a BAP on stock style fuel system with ID 1000 and your good for 850 rwhp on E 85

I maxed out my stock fuel system with a BAP on my 2011 GT 500 and ID 1000 at around 757rwhp on 93 pump and going with the DW300M and have a e-85 tune.

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I said may or may not, or pretty sure. After you spent all the money and work replacing all the parts why didn't you just go return? Anyway, the OP wants to squeak by, so I'm sure there's away to do that.

Didn't mean to start an argument or anything. Just letting you know what I am currently running and its working great. To answer your question about return style, the major cost that I didn't have the cash for at the time was the fuel hat. I could have modified the stock hat but decided against it because I wanted to go to the Walbro pumps down the road. A stock hat won't fit the 465's from what I've been told. So I did a "budget E85" fuel system build with the ground work built for a robust return style later on. Do I think the OP can go wrong with doing a full up return style even if he was at 550rwhp? Absolutely not. I just think if you don't have the funds to go that route right away there are other options to meet the goals.

jazz

Established Member
So can he just get away with better fuel pumps?? 13/14 shelby just have better pumps right? Not sure about the stock fuel lines...
Anyone has that budget kit from lehal?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
So can he just get away with better fuel pumps?? 13/14 shelby just have better pumps right? Not sure about the stock fuel lines...
Anyone has that budget kit from lehal?

I would recommend ID1000's, BAP, and upgraded fuel pumps at a minimum. He may get away with the stock pumps but it depends on his pump's duty cycle now as VMP stated earlier. (New fuel filter will be needed too of course.) If the OP could swing ID1300's it would be even better. If he datalogs and is going lean for some reason he could then upgrade the lines and rails. I think the 13/14's may have different pumps and of course injectors but I don't have much experience with them.

Last edited:

jazz

Established Member
I would recommend ID1000's, BAP, and upgraded fuel pumps at a minimum. He may get away with the stock pumps but it depends on his pump's duty cycle now as VMP stated earlier. (New fuel filter will be needed too of course.) If the OP could swing ID1300's it would be even better. If he datalogs and is going lean for some reason he could then upgrade the lines and rails. I think the 13/14's may have different pumps and of course injectors but I don't have much experience with them.

yes id1000 and BAP is must, which is what i have on my shelby right now. just wondering with upgraded pumps if it was possible. do lines and rails need to be upgraded?

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
yes id1000 and BAP is must, which is what i have on my shelby right now. just wondering with upgraded pumps if it was possible. do lines and rails need to be upgraded?

I didn't test mine without the lines and rails upgraded so TBH I don't know. I would think that just upgrading the pumps should suffice. If I were in your position, I would get an E85 tune for what you have now and datalog. If it's going lean then do the pumps. If not, then you're good to go. If you're still running lean with the new pumps then do the lines then rails last. Those are more of a decoration to me than an actual necessity at these hp levels IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread