E85 on Stock 4.6 3v setup?

tobynt

Established Member
I have a stock 2006 GT 3-Valve. I am thinking about ordering an E-85 tune for it from VPM Tuning.

I had a flex-fuel truck a few years ago and loved how smooth it ran when I topped it off with E85. Looking to do the same thing with the stock '06 GT except not switch the fuel and just run E85 all the time.

I'm not looking to make the swap for any power gains......so power levels are not a concern to me.

My concern is with.........how will the current fuel system hold up...long term?

Everything that I have been able to dig up on putting E85 on a stock 4.6 3-Valve, indicates the injectors and pump can be pushed enough to tune it in and run correctly. But, what about the long term effects of the stock fueling system?

Any thoughts from those that have been running E85 on these year models and also useing stock lines?

CBelleperche

Established Member
You'll be fine, but you use 30% more fuel with E85. The reason we run E85 in our cars is because is had the characteristics of race fuel, allowing for more timing and boost to be dialed in. So unless you have a power added or high compression N/A motor that you'll be pushing hard, I see no reason for you to switch to it. Just my opinion.

tobynt

Established Member
I just really liked the way it ran. Currently my wife uses the '06 GT as her daily driver. She drives 6 miles a day round trip and doesn't get over 45 mph. Current gas mileage is an average of 14 mpg. With the FLex-Fuel suburban I had. I would drop down to about 14 mpg when I ran E85 in it. Shouldn't be that big of a deal on my end for the gas mileage.

At the same time...I'm the kind of person that changes oil even if it has less then 2000 miles. I'm a little "OCD"

And, the old suburban would smooth out. I absolutely loved the way the engine just seemed to purrrr.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Well I don't know about it being just placebo. I could tell when I made the switch from 93 to E-85 right away. The idle of my car was so much smoother. Also, and this may be my imagination, but it seemed like the cruise control would run smoother. No sudden/ jerky acceleration to catch up the the speed I set. I think it's just the higher octane in it that gives this impression. If yo want to run E-85, knowing that it's not for any power gains then it's your money to waste. As far as the long term effect on your fuel system, I don't believe that it will harm anything. I'm no expert but I did some research before going to this fuel and found that there isn't enough negative stuff about E-85 to not run it. Your pumps and injectors will take the added load on them just fine. That's just my opinion.

Richie

CBelleperche

Established Member
You are right his system can push the added amount of fuel no problem. Again if it's not for performance I don't see it being worth it. With gas prices going down I would just stick with a solid 91 or 93 tune and call it a day.

tobynt

Established Member
wow, I'm glad we live in a democracy and not a dictatorship. I've done a lot more in my life that would be considered a waste of money but it made me happy.

While I appreciate the advise regarding what you would do and the cost of fuel. Clearly its not what I would do. When I ran E85 in my suburban, E85 was more expensive the 93 octane.

Besides, if anyone actually did the math........concerning the car in question and added up what the daily mileage is on the car. You will soon realize, Its only getting a tank of gas once a month. I'm coming up with an additional cost of (approximate) $8.94 a year. Fairly confident I can afford it.

With that being said, I'm going to pull the trigger and run it full time.

tobynt

Established Member
Dude, how long have you been running E85?

I have been using it for over 5 years. I just haven't done a conversion with it.

Our fuel systems are closed systems. They have been for at least 13 years or better. The only moister that's going to get in my fuel will come from the condensation that's built up in the fuel holding tank at the gas station. It will not have anymore or any less "water" in it then the gas that's coming out of the other tanks.

The only reason we have a returnless fuel system on our cars is because of strict emissions regulations have become so stringent that the government is now regulating the emissions output that gasoline vehicles are allowed to produce even when the engine is not running! This is referred to as “evaporative emissions” and results from unburned hydrocarbons (raw fuel) emitting into the atmosphere from the fuel tank, fuel lines, injector leakage, intake manifold, etc. when the engine is shut off. This is the fundamental purpose of the charcoal canister (and hydrocarbon trap in the air-box on many vehicles)

Its not a two way street. Running E85 in a car will not attract any more moister then running gasoline. If it didn't get pumped in...its not going to suck it in from the air.

drivebymashing

Established Member
e85

I have a 05 gt 3 valve
and a 2011 5.0 f150 crew cab flex fuel
The closest e85 station is over 60 miles away
With all the wierdos and "green" stuff around asheville
I though i would be able to find it
They have propane cng and electric stations

tobynt

Established Member
If you know so much then why ask questions about it? Don't be a dick, you asked for opinions so we gave them

um..nope, I asked a very specific question. Most certainly did not ask for open "opinion".

Question 1 was: "But, what about the long term effects of the stock fueling system?"

^^^to which, none of your post had an answer or input/

Question 2 was: "Any thoughts from those that have been running E85 on these year models and also useing stock lines?"

^^^You don't have an S197....and you still didn't offer up any ideas or input regarding the fuel system and using "stock lines".

The best you could offer up was "Its all in your head"......."Your wasting money"....."E85 inst readily available everywhere".........."Water+engine=BAD".....Oh, and that I'm being a dick.

You sir are the one that's being a dick. You have offered up nothing to contribute to this thread. Yet, you still continue to troll the tread and try to "pad" your post cont.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
If i had e85 close near, id use it.

E85 testing on NA 08 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V - VMP Tuning Message Board

Quote Justin.....The alcohol in E85 is corrosive. The fuel systems in modern vehicles is designed to deal with a small amount of alcohol, 10%, which is now being found at many pumps in the form of E10 gasoline.

For short term use, E85 should not cause problems with fuel systems in newer non-FFV vehicles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread