E85 on its way out???

Explosive

Established Member
I'm in Michigan and I see it everywhere. I don't see why'd they'd stop selling it with how many pumps are out there.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
I was under the impression that E85 was on every corner in Texas and the midwest? I have one of the only if not the only station in NJ just 5 mins from my house then one in Philly about 30 minutes away.

really? I'm on LI and there are quite a few around me in the Islip area of Suffolk County

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
i don't really see an issue with e85, and here's a nice article of a guy converting an explorer to use it, fun stuff (there's a little aside in there about brazil running the most flex fuel vehicles in the world, so i can;t see e85 going anywhere); Converting to E85

Silver03Termi

Established Member
We are the number one exporter of agriculture in the WORLD how is the production of ethanol effecting the industry this seriously?

look at the price of corn. The demand for corn has went way up. People still eat just as much of it (normally through high fructose corn syrup, and sucrose) and now we want to put it in our gas tank. Simple laws of supply and demand.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
look at the price of corn. The demand for corn has went way up. People still eat just as much of it (normally through high fructose corn syrup, and sucrose) and now we want to put it in our gas tank. Simple laws of supply and demand.

Hence the argument that ethanol in the US is produced from the wrong base crop. Ethanol isn't the problem, it's the fact that it's produced from an subsidized and subsequently over produced resource. As several people have pointed out here, in Brazil they're not having this problem b/c they're ethanol production isn't tied to a wack farm subsidy. They're also much more flexible about which base crops they use and switch between sugar cane, sugar beets, switch grass, etc.

Here in the US we seem to have our needle irrevocably stuck on corn. Partially b/c of the corn subsidy which radically skews the market but I also believe there's some hangover from the "moon shine" era though that's just speculation on my part. Unfortunately all of this stubbornness and intractability looks like it may possibly kill off the source of alternative fuel even though there is several case examples such as Venezuela and Brazil that show this is a completely viable energy source.

Of course we're Americans so we have to do it "our way", even if "our way" is wrong. :bored:

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
I got this today. I think she told me to get f***ed in a polite way!

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the Open Fuels Standard Act of 2011 (S. 1603).* I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this bill.

The Open Fuels Standard Act was introduced on September 22, 2011, and referred to the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.* The bill would require 50 percent of new vehicles manufactured in the United States to be flex-fuel capable by 2015.* In 2018, 80 percent of new vehicles would be required to be flex-fuel capable.* The bill defines a flex-fuel vehicle as able to run on ethanol or methanol, or other alcohols besides petroleum-based fuels.

While I support legislative initiatives to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, I do not believe that ethanol needs additional government support.* Instead, I would like to see legislation that promotes advanced biofuels that do not impact food and feedstock prices.* However, I will keep an open mind should this legislation be considered by the Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Hey guys any updates on the future of E85? I'm thinking about switching over to it but don't want to get royally screwed after I do

Zacharyx

Established Member

I think there are still people paid to not grow crops, stop paying them to do nothing and let the supply grow.

Drop the tariff on imported ethanol and let it help e85, as well drop the tariff on imported sugar so that corn syrup can have a rival that makes financial sense

mustang john

Established Member
Well if it makes any difference, every new Valero station being built here in SA is having an E85 pump installed. I just dont see a large company like Valero wasting money on E85 stations if it was going away anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread