E85 on its way out???

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
I have been running E85 in my supercharged Tbird for 5 years now, and love it. Here in Tennessee it was getting easier to find it till this Fall, when some of the stations started to disappear. I live in Clarksville Tn, and we went from 4 station down to only 1 having it. I am setting mine up so I can go back to pump gas, and add water-meth injection to it if it gets any harder to find.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Sugarcane is where its at from a production stand point, the crops can be turned at 4x the rate and the yield is much higher.
Brazil started in the 70s.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the reason Brazil went from being and oil importer to an oil expoter back in the '80s, they simply picked the right crop. I have been an e85 proponent for several years and I've been saying the whole time, the US is yoked to the wrong crop on this thing, partly b/c of our history w/ corn alcohol ( "moon shine" ) but mostly b/c of the corn subsidy which needs to STOP! The Federal govt could save soooo much more money by cutting that useless subsidy but everyone it too chicken $#!* to touch the farm bill.

If ya want a glimpse into why we keep f'in w/ the wrong crop, and making ourselves fat and unhealthy at the same time, check out the movies "King Corn" & "Food Inc".

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well lots of farm lands still use E85 for there farm equipment. So will see what happens.

beeradd

Established Member
I have been running E85 in my supercharged Tbird for 5 years now, and love it. Here in Tennessee it was getting easier to find it till this Fall, when some of the stations started to disappear. I live in Clarksville Tn, and we went from 4 station down to only 1 having it. I am setting mine up so I can go back to pump gas, and add water-meth injection to it if it gets any harder to find.

That is one baad T-Bird you have there sir! :beer:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'm swapping over to E85 now but the closest station is 40 miles away so I'll be filling drums to keep on hand. I hope they continue to build stations so it won't be such a PITA to use.

Helomech74

Established Member

Where do you fill up at in Clarksville? I used to use Beech Oil Company down off exit 11, but since I moved further out from there I haven't been back down to see if they still sell it.

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
Where do you fill up at in Clarksville? I used to use Beech Oil Company down off exit 11, but since I moved further out from there I haven't been back down to see if they still sell it.

The Shell stations and Beech Oil stopped selling it last Summer. The GMC dealer in St Bethleham, next to Home Depot started selling it in the Summer, and is the only one in Cville now.

That is one baad T-Bird you have there sir! :beer:

Thanks, it is a FUN car. :)

97markja

Established Member
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the reason Brazil went from being and oil importer to an oil expoter back in the '80s, they simply picked the right crop. I have been an e85 proponent for several years and I've been saying the whole time, the US is yoked to the wrong crop on this thing, partly b/c of our history w/ corn alcohol ( "moon shine" ) but mostly b/c of the corn subsidy which needs to STOP! The Federal govt could save soooo much more money by cutting that useless subsidy but everyone it too chicken $#!* to touch the farm bill.

If ya want a glimpse into why we keep f'in w/ the wrong crop, and making ourselves fat and unhealthy at the same time, check out the movies "King Corn" & "Food Inc".

Not to make this a political thread but all you have to do is follow the money. Most of the big farms are corporate owned now or large co-op and the board members/owners own share in the refineries; they are in a lot cases also public officials.
Greed and money usually will get the best of people, its the right idea just executed with the wrong crop IMHO.

REX-RACER

Established Member
Not to make this a political thread but all you have to do is follow the money. Most of the big farms are corporate owned now or large co-op and the board members/owners own share in the refineries; they are in a lot cases also public officials.
Greed and money usually will get the best of people, its the right idea just executed with the wrong crop IMHO.

I wouldn't disagree w/ that, I would just add that much of the money in big farming comes from over-subsidy of corn. Cut that subsidy and you un-teather the country as a whole from the gross over-production of corn we currently see now and the real market forces would take over driving big agriculture to produce other crops.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think corn was chosen due to the sudsidy and huge amounts the US produces. Likely easier to get E85 up and into the mainstream with an existing crop.

Otherwise, how do you convince farmers to grow a new crop(saw grass, sugar cane) for an unproven technology at that time?

Hopefully E85 is mainstream enough now that a farmer is willing to switch crops if economically viable.

REX-RACER

Established Member
I think corn was chosen due to the sudsidy and huge amounts the US produces. Likely easier to get E85 up and into the mainstream with an existing crop.

Otherwise, how do you convince farmers to grow a new crop(saw grass, sugar cane) for an unproven technology at that time?

Hopefully E85 is mainstream enough now that a farmer is willing to switch crops if economically viable.

I agree. The corn subsidy creates a severe market distortion though.

Evil_GT

KB-E85
Established Member
Luckily I have a few stations within a 10min drive of my house, one is a few miles away, another about a 10-15min drive.

I will keep an eye on those stations...... The one station closest to my house says they sell their E85 like crazy. All of the mail trucks are using it he said, and that pump gets used SEVERAL times a day. The station about 10-15min away gets used frequently, but not all the time according to the people behind the counter.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I'm debating swapping mine over to E85. I could throw a baseball off my back porch and hit the nearest E85 station luckily.

The thing I'm worried about is it's availability elsewhere. I go on a lot of road trips and wouldn't want to get stranded.

johnjon87

Established Member
Im just swapping to e85 now. I have been doing alot of research most of which is all good but every so often i get into some bad reviews. The only bad things people have said that since its mostly like alcohol it can eat at fuel lines and or fuel pump. Are there any recommended procedures that you guys do with running e85 to prevent any damage or is this even and issue to worrt about.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Im just swapping to e85 now. I have been doing alot of research most of which is all good but every so often i get into some bad reviews. The only bad things people have said that since its mostly like alcohol it can eat at fuel lines and or fuel pump. Are there any recommended procedures that you guys do with running e85 to prevent any damage or is this even and issue to worrt about.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

its not an issue to really worry about.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I knew there was a reason I was waiting to go e85 now I know that reason lol....

I hope it sticks around becuase I do want to switch to it around summer time if things dont get worse. Would it be a big pita to go back to running 93 or no?

BruceH

Established Member
I knew there was a reason I was waiting to go e85 now I know that reason lol....

I hope it sticks around becuase I do want to switch to it around summer time if things dont get worse. Would it be a big pita to go back to running 93 or no?

No, it's as easy as changing the tune. I keep a 92 pump gas tune, E75, and E85 tune on my tuner.

tonewyork89

Wraith
Established Member
We are the number one exporter of agriculture in the WORLD how is the production of ethanol effecting the industry this seriously?

Drazga

Established Member
I was under the impression that E85 was on every corner in Texas and the midwest? I have one of the only if not the only station in NJ just 5 mins from my house then one in Philly about 30 minutes away.

Users who are viewing this thread