E85 on a very rarely driven cobra?

cobra=trouble

Established Member
My cobra has been on E85 for 2+ years now. I only drive it once every couple of months. No problems so far.
that would be about the same driven. For me too I don't drive it a lot or crank it up like to keep the battery up.
I was think of not going e85 but after reading this and also drum storage. I may change my mind now.

I wonder? Say if you got 200 miles in the city with 93 gas.then what would the mileage be on e85?

SSeatr

Established Member
Why not just run race fuel?

What is your fuel system setup anyway?

If stock, I would think race fuel is a better fit for you, so you wouldnt need to redo the fuel system to larger injectors, pumps, hose etc.

If I only used my car as much as you I would probably stick with race fuel, But I put miles on mine so E85 is the more economical route for me.

Last edited:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member

If stock, I would think race fuel is a better fit for you, so you wouldnt need to redo the fuel system to larger injectors, pumps, hose etc.

If I only used my car as much as you I would probably stick with race fuel, But I put miles on mine so E85 is the more economical route for me.

I would think that once you going for 550whp + like the OP , you would have to upgrade your fuel set up anyways ...even more if you plan the twinscrew route . So why not going one size bigger than your regular 60lb injectors and svt focus pumps to a 80lb and Ford gt pumps for about same price ? Sounds like common sense to me :beer:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member

You also get better driveability on E85, that's one of the things I love most about it.

03cobrarocks

Established Member

e85 is much more reasonably priced, easier to aquire and seems a lot of people swear by it.

My current fuel setup is just 60s and bap.... But Car is at the shop now getting 80s and a full fuel system from pumps to rails :banana:

Hopeing to be knocking on 600s door but my jlt intake (need to get the new one) might be limiting me.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Also can someone give me a brief run down on the e85 stabilizers someone posted about earlier in thread. Is it completely needed or just use during certian times of the year or what?

SSeatr

Established Member
e85 is much more reasonably priced, easier to aquire and seems a lot of people swear by it.

My current fuel setup is just 60s and bap.... But Car is at the shop now getting 80s and a full fuel system from pumps to rails :banana:

Hopeing to be knocking on 600s door but my jlt intake (need to get the new one) might be limiting me.

Well see that's different I was not aware about the new fuel system. Then sure go E85.

I just read very rarely driven, so I was weighing the price of race gas to a whole fuel system to run E85.

Also would go larger then 80's for room to grow. 80's will be good for 700 on E85 but 700+ should go with larger.

Last edited:

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Well see that's different I was not aware about the new fuel system. Then sure go E85.

I just read very rarely driven, so I was weighing the price of race gas to a whole fuel system to run E85.

Also would go larger then 80's for room to grow. 80's will be good for 700 on E85 but 700+ should go with larger.

Yes and now ..on your post ..go bigger than 80s if u want 800whp or more + on E85 ..but 80s are plenty for 700-780ish on the corn

SSeatr

Established Member
Yes and now ..on your post ..go bigger than 80s if u want 800whp or more + on E85 ..but 80s are plenty for 700-780ish on the corn

80's are plenty for 700-780? you mean maxed out for 80's who wants to run their injectors above 90%..hell 80% should be the safe max. Can it be done yea some guys are getting 700+ but most are in the 600's on 80s

Also you have to have enough pump to run the fuel press for that. 780 on 80's has to be above 60psi on E85

Do it right the first time, not max out what you have.

Last edited:

turbonotch

It's quiet ;)
Established Member
I made the mistake of not driving my car and leaving e85 in the tank over the winter twice now. I thought the first injector issue was a coincidence. This past winter my injectors got jacked up again and needed to be cleaned. After a long discussion with Linder fuel injection here in town, it is very common for cars that it a lot and they run into this all the time.

I plan on emptying the cell next winter and putting 93 in it and running it for a bit before I put her up. It gets expensive having them cleaned

turbonotch

It's quiet ;)
Established Member
80's are plenty for 700-780? you mean maxed out for 80's who wants to run their injectors above 90%..hell 80% should be the safe max. Can it be done yea some guys are getting 700+ but most are in the 600's on 80s

Also you have to have enough pump to run the fuel press for that. 780 on 80's has to be above 60psi on E85

+1
I'm going to 105's since ill be going from 9lbs to 20lbs. I don't think I will make 800 but I dont even want to be close to 95+% IDC if I don't need to. Screw that.

timbo3282

Established Member
I made the mistake of not driving my car and leaving e85 in the tank over the winter twice now. I thought the first injector issue was a coincidence. This past winter my injectors got jacked up again and needed to be cleaned. After a long discussion with Linder fuel injection here in town, it is very common for cars that it a lot and they run into this all the time.

I plan on emptying the cell next winter and putting 93 in it and running it for a bit before I put her up. It gets expensive having them cleaned

Were you using anything to stabilize the E85?

I've left E85 for months without trouble using Stabil Marine Formula. It has extra stabilizers targeted at Ethanol.

turbonotch

It's quiet ;)
Established Member
Were you using anything to stabilize the E85?

I've left E85 for months without trouble using Stabil Marine Formula. It has extra stabilizers targeted at Ethanol.

No stabilizers. It was definitely my fault and a learning experience! It started to smell like ape dick about 4 months into it. Live and learn!

timbo3282

Established Member
No stabilizers. It was definitely my fault and a learning experience! It started to smell like ape dick about 4 months into it. Live and learn!

What's life without our learning experiences? I've learned many things and too many things the hard way.

Good luck - E85 is definitely the way to go to make big power and save cash in our cars.

Whether you leave E85 or gas in the car make sure you use Stabil in the tank. The Marine formula is honestly worth the extra cash it has some lubricants in it, extra stabilizers targeted at ethanol.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member

There are plenty of guys with 80s / corn making 700whp + here !!! 04 sleeper (715whp) venomsvt (770whp) tarwheelhopper (722) ....to name a few so :
willis.jpg

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
My cobra was making 694rwhp on 2.8H, a fat tune, would be over 700 but I ended up selling it.

It was my weekend car so it only saw maybe 30-40 miles, and I had no issue whatsoever. One advice I have though, if you do decide to run e85, when you first get it and drive for awhile, change your fuel filter after about a month of driving.

dlaude

Established Member
Glad I used the search function - I almost asked a similar question, but not quite the same. Anyway, I live in south suburbs of Chicago and stored my cobra from ~Oct-yesterday (with a garage transfer ~12/22/11). Last night I connected the battery, jumped it from my wife's car, and started her up. Disconnected the jumper cables and it stopped. Weird, but didn't think much of it. Reconnected the cables and started it again. This time left the cables connected for a few minutes then took them off, stayed on. Pulled out of the driveway to take it around the block and saw all my gauges dim. Looked at my interceptor and saw my battery was at low 9s. Usually in the 13 range. Pulled it back in to the garage cause I didn't want it to die on the street. Let it sit and after about 10 mins it died again. Threw the cables on it again and plugged in my tuner (to switch it from E-85 to E-70 tune - my tuner's recommendation pre-winter). I hadn't looked closely at the SCT before, but he said it was "easy to switch, plug it in and select either E-70 or E-85". Wasn't as straight forward as he said it would be. Got a few questions, please excuse the naivety:

Should I have charged the battery instead of jumping it? I usually plug in a charger and let it sit for a couple hours then start it, this was my first time just jumping it.

Think I lost my alternator over the winter? All my radio pre-sets were still the ones I programmed pre-winter.

(warning: real stupid question) Is there a way the tune will "reset" to default, with my battery disconnected for ~5 months? When the battery was losing voltage it would idle irregularly, and when I plugged in my tuner it was screens I didn't recognize, so I was a bit nervous (and in the 'download tune to car' section it was only "strategy tune", "restore car to factory", and one (maybe two?) other setting...which I can't remember now)...and I just imagined the worse ha.

Fortunately it wasn't a severe winter anywhere, and from some comments I feel okay, but from others (the member who's had malfunction two winters now) I get nervous.

Please help by answering questions and verifying or correcting any information I posted. Thanks.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
^If my car sits for longer than 3 weeks I definaitly charge it with a battery charger, you can get fairly decent ones at orielys/autozone for like 60 or 70 dollars.

How old is your battery? Mine recently went out and I thought it was my alternator but really my battery was like 4 years old.

I have heard of tunes "falling out" to where your computer reverts back to stock tune or gets messed up some way, however I do not know under what circumstances this can happen.

I suggest starting another post in another section wouldnt think it would be fuel related....

dlaude

Established Member
^If my car sits for longer than 3 weeks I definaitly charge it with a battery charger, you can get fairly decent ones at orielys/autozone for like 60 or 70 dollars.

How old is your battery? Mine recently went out and I thought it was my alternator but really my battery was like 4 years old.

I have heard of tunes "falling out" to where your computer reverts back to stock tune or gets messed up some way, however I do not know under what circumstances this can happen.

I suggest starting another post in another section wouldnt think it would be fuel related....

Yes, the reason I would have started a thread here was to find out if a tune could be lost from winterizing. I saw some similarities to what I was searching for and this thread so I just asked here. Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread