E85 newb - Storage questions

RioRed4v

Established Member
Recently bought an 09 GT500 that's been tuned for E85. The more I've read about E85 it seems like it isn't recommended for the car to sit for long periods of time.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do for this upcoming winter. Should I drain the tank of E85 and toss a bit of regular gas in run it through the lines so it'll be okay for winter? Maybe toss some stabilizer in the E85 and just keep that in there? I'm open to options I just want to try and avoid having the injectors cleaned every year and a bunch of junk built up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I live in Minnesota. I've always stored mine with 91 non oxygenated fuel. Come spring I'll maybe use half a tank, then I get sick of it and drain it out. And put in e70 which is our winter blend until June.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I drain the E85. Fill with 5 gallons of 93. Drive around to kill most of those 5 gallons and whatever E85 was still left in the tank after draining. Fill it to full with 93 and park it.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I have a fitting with a screw on cap right before the rail. I attach the hose, load the drain tank tune, flip the key and the pumps stay on until I flip the key back.

You'll need a tune that keeps the pumps running full time and will need to disconnect the fuel line at the rail in order to put a hose on it. You can't siphon it out.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Oh nice. Sounds pretty easy going that route. I'm getting ready to have the car retuned so I'll ask him about that. Thanks!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Yes. I’ve left the same fuel in mine for up to 6 months; would drive it short periods every couple months when I was home.

This is during spring into summer in West TX. It is dry, but we get our share of Monsoons.

Sent from the El Paso JR college dorm using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Nice to know, getting ready to do the e85 fuel system swap, it gets pretty cold here in Colorado but i never really let my car sit for more than a month without starting and driving a few miles. I really dont want to deal with draining the tank every year.

MG0h3

Established Member
Nice to know, getting ready to do the e85 fuel system swap, it gets pretty cold here in Colorado but i never really let my car sit for more than a month without starting and driving a few miles. I really dont want to deal with draining the tank every year.

Think I’m on my third year. Never gone back to non E85

If I did switch I’d just run it as low as possible then fill up on 91 or whatever and switch tunes. Then just stay out of boost and top it off a couple times.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Think I’m on my third year. Never gone back to non E85

If I did switch I’d just run it as low as possible then fill up on 91 or whatever and switch tunes. Then just stay out of boost and top it off a couple times.

Appreciate the info, i was stationed in El Paso back in the day i dont remember it getting to cold over their?

RioRed4v

Established Member

One of the things mentioned to me recently is that with our climate here (dry, low humidity) letting it sit in the tank isn't all that big of deal if you do the occasional start ups.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
One of the things mentioned to me recently is that with our climate here (dry, low humidity) letting it sit in the tank isn't all that big of deal if you do the occasional start ups.

Ive spoken to a few guys in our area doing the E85 and i get mixed reviews? Iam dreading the hard cold start ups that i keep hearing about? The only thing i notice everyone agrees on, is that its night and day difference when it comes to power.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Ive spoken to a few guys in our area doing the E85 and i get mixed reviews? Iam dreading the hard cold start ups that i keep hearing about? The only thing i notice everyone agrees on, is that its night and day difference when it comes to power.

I'd agree that the feedback seems mixed. I honestly don't know who or what to believe but knowing at least some people keep it in their tank over winter makes me feel a little better. That said I ended up having a 91 tune added so that once my tank of E runs out I can toss the 91 to clean things up and store it.

With the hard starts, mine was having a hell of a time initially. Chatted with my tuner about it and he added 10% more fuel for start-up and it worked beautifully. Fired right up and stayed running the first time.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
No longer have the cobra. It's an 09 GT500 tuned by Venomous (BJ McCarty). Built engine, cams, 3.6L Kenne Bell, etc.

Oh ok! GT500 sounds like a beast. A GT500 is on my bucket list to get, really like the 2011-14 body style.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Oh ok! GT500 sounds like a beast. A GT500 is on my bucket list to get, really like the 2011-14 body style.

She does alright lol. Put down a little over 1,000 the other weekend but ran out of pump at 6k rpm. Love that body style too. If it wasn't for the deal I found on this one I'd probably have gone that route.

Users who are viewing this thread