E85 Limitations???

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey E85 wizards... I have a question for you.. This question came to mind when the new numbers for the 2.9 were posted in the Terminator section.. Anyways my question is this.. Is there a limitation to E85?? As far as boost? Compression with boost? timing, etc?? Just curious if anyone has hit a breaking point yet. I know that we will know more in Jan when the 2.9 goes on the E85, 10:1 compression motor, but I'm just curious. :beer:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
My buddy runs 46 psi of compound boost and makes 1200 RWHP on E85.

5.0 Mustang & Super Fords 2010 American Muscle King Of The Street - Tony Alm | Videos

Here's another friend of mine running a 442 LSX Formula on E85!
[youtube_browser]gqdaBr7QzkE[/youtube_browser]

Here is my buddy Jakes 97 Cobra. Stock 17 X 8's and 275-40-17 Nitto 555R's, E85.
[youtube_browser]cRJh4GJwtwg[/youtube_browser]

A 94 GT. 17's all the way around. 306 Twin 70's, 4R70W, E85.

[youtube_browser]g9tuDep-xBw[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]kSAFf0XDP4Q[/youtube_browser]
Here is another video of an engine from a drag boat.

[youtube_browser]elyqdOr_6x0[/youtube_browser]

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
With E85 you can go far beyond the point where you stop making power without detonation.

For example, 23-24* max timing on my setup is when the car stops increasing in power and we have yet to see detonation. I have heard of people running even higher max timing w/o detonation, but why keep pushing it when you don't see any gains?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So the answer is no then lol? This is freaking nuts.. There has to be a breaking point somewhere right?? I mean the octane rating is only like 110 or something correct?? Wouldn't it start to detonate at somepoint?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
So the answer is no then lol? This is freaking nuts.. There has to be a breaking point somewhere right?? I mean the octane rating is only like 110 or something correct?? Wouldn't it start to detonate at somepoint?
All fuel will have a point of detonation. Octane is not the only factor that decides how much a motor will take before it detonates. The cooling effects of E85 far surpass that of gasoline at the same octane rating.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Ahh gotcha.. good to know. That's still crazy though.. I wonder if and when someone will find the point lol.

94venomV8

Established Member
I wonder if E85 will ever either A. get really popular or B. Die off and come hard to find. I hope its the first one, because after the making of this section I get more and more amped everyday to finish my build which will run on E85. I was thinking I was going to have to run race/pump mix for my numbers I wanted and with this stuff it doesnt seem thats still the case! I cannot wait til spring when when turbo build is complete!

blowngt

Established Member
My buddy runs 46 psi of compound boost and makes 1200 RWHP on E85.

5.0 Mustang & Super Fords 2010 American Muscle King Of The Street - Tony Alm | Videos

Here's another friend of mine running a 442 LSX Formula on E85!
[youtube_browser]gqdaBr7QzkE[/youtube_browser]

Here is my buddy Jakes 97 Cobra. Stock 17 X 8's and 275-40-17 Nitto 555R's, E85.
[youtube_browser]cRJh4GJwtwg[/youtube_browser]

A 94 GT. 17's all the way around. 306 Twin 70's, 4R70W, E85.

[youtube_browser]g9tuDep-xBw[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]kSAFf0XDP4Q[/youtube_browser]
Here is another video of an engine from a drag boat.

[youtube_browser]elyqdOr_6x0[/youtube_browser]

I get no love.......:(

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I wonder if E85 will ever either A. get really popular or B. Die off and come hard to find. I hope its the first one, because after the making of this section I get more and more amped everyday to finish my build which will run on E85. I was thinking I was going to have to run race/pump mix for my numbers I wanted and with this stuff it doesnt seem thats still the case! I cannot wait til spring when when turbo build is complete!
The great thing is that your Pump Gas tune IS yur Race Gas tune! :rockon:

With the emissions and the Federal Government pushing for more, it is not going anywhere. They just increased to 15% E15 in newer vehicles.

That is just crazy!!!! wow i need to do the swap at somepoint..
LOL. Well get to it!

I get no love.......:(
Do you have any good video's of your car on E85? :shrug:

RFH

Established Member
One thing to note though with E85. While it wont spark knock at high cylinder pressures, it will preignite. If you have carbon deposits or too hot of a spark plug range, E85 can ignite on these hot surfaces and wreck stuff fast.

Users who are viewing this thread