• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

E85 life span?

Discussion in 'The Distillery' started by Svt_devin, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Stage 4.6

Stage 4.6 Well-Known Member Established Member

This is my second winter since I converted to E, this past winter we had some extremely brutal weather, and the longest I went with out starting the car (6 weeks). I must say I was a bit nervous, my garage is pretty cold, I went out and started it on a 8 degree day and to my amazement It fired up with no problem, maybe slightly longer cranking but that was expected. There was no snow on the grown so I took her out for about 15 minute drive to the local grocery store and ran great!

I just recently checked the fuel filter and it was surprisingly clean, I did some spark plugs replacements and they look great, like didn't need replacement.

One thing that did concern me "some one mentioned previously", When I pulled the oil cap I had a little milky substance.

Only real preventive measures I took was to store her on a full tank.

c6zhombre likes this.
  2. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

You might just need to drive it longer. Let everything get nice and hot to burn off that milky stuff.

After reading all this I'm wondering if I should adjust my blend table to be a bit more aggressive. Right now I have it set up to not go full timing until there's full E85 in the tank. I wonder if I should change that to maybe E70? I will say I'm at E67 according to my gauge and it's peppy.

Sent from my SM-N981U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

3. IllCobra

IllCobra Active Member Established Member

What gauge are you using to see your Ethanol %?

4. blownfox

blownfox Well-Known Member Established Member

I tried order the AEM wideband/failsafe/with E-85 sensor but they had just discontinued it. so I ended up ordering the Zeitronix and plan to install it this summer.

Zeitronix ECA : SEMA Award Winning Ethanol Content Analyzer and Flex Fuel Sensor for E-85 and E-85/gasoline Blends

When testing at the pump I'm seeing E-80. I wanted to add the flex fuel sensor so I can stop manually testing it at the pump. I know I know I'm lazy.

5. 01yellercobra

I have a sensor wired to the MS3. It shows the percentage on one of the gauge screens.

geoffmt likes this.
  6. IllCobra

IllCobra Active Member Established Member

Thank you for the link
    I plan on going E85 this year and that is why I would want a gauge. Manually checking ethanol % at the pump would eventually get annoying.

7. geoffmt

geoffmt Well-Known Member Established Member

No shit? Ms3 is on my radar this winter only because the dash will still work when I add a different longblock during off season

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

8. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Established Member

I use a Gatorade bottle and have a big syringe at home to pull some out and put it in the tester.

Total time spent is like 2 min.

Like others said, I just look for the seasonal change.

I see E70 in the winter and 85 in the summer.

03' White Snake and IllCobra like this.
  9. 01yellercobra

Yep. It's set up as full flex fuel now. I can put in E85 or 91 and it'll adjust to whatever is in the tank. I think I was up to E71 yesterday after topping off. When I drove it to Palm Springs a couple weekends ago I needed to get gas and all that was around was 91.

geoffmt likes this.
  10. geoffmt

geoffmt Well-Known Member Established Member

That may very well be the selling point for an MS3

11. 01yellercobra

I think most of the stand alones are flex fuel compatible now. My big thing was keeping the stock dash. Best of both worlds for me. Along with the other things I have turned on.