E85 is truely the best kept secret in fuel!

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
After MUCH debate on which direction to take my car, I decided to go the E85 route. Having had a lot of luck injecting methanol with my other car, I figured that Ethanol might make some power. Well, let me tell you...it does! This morning I took my car to the dyno for the final E85 tune with the 80lb injectors. After a few pulls getting the A/F and timing perfect, we made a full hit to the tune of 637/615....see mods in signature. This was with 22 degrees of timing, and a max of 18psi of boost...the a/f was around 11.7:1. I have had some powerful cars in the past, but this thing surpasses them by a long shot!! I just filled back up tonight on the way home from a cruise....$2.21/gallon for the good stuff:beer:.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
That sounds awesome Joe!! Where did you get tuned at? House of Boost, MC racing, Dynotune or ? I would love to get a ride someday:)

Edit: video's?

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
damn those are some nice numbers.
hows the gas mileage with e85?

Gas mileage...what's that??? It's not for shit at WOT:rockon:
I have not tried to calculate it (MPG) under "normal" driving conditions...I can't seem to keep my foot off the "go fast" pedal:beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just curious your pulley combo should be for more than 18lbs of boost. More like 20lbs and with Race gas you could still achieve those numbers and run another degree of timing also. I had the same upper pulley and with a 6lb lower saw 22lbs every time out.

Seems if you want more hp for the street e85 might be the way to go. For a good Race gas tune it's still up in the air.

blowngt

Established Member
Seems if you want more hp for the street e85 might be the way to go. For a good Race gas tune it's still up in the air.

E85 has been proven to be every bit as good as C16 over and over.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aenIGxu9LoY"]YouTube- ls2formula 7.98[/nomedia]

Not to mention that you're spending $14+/gal on C16 vs $2.50 or less for E85.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Glad to see you made your goal. I would have thrown 2 more degrees timing in there for sure and you would have made over 650.

Congrats on making the switch. :thumbsup:

jumperjack

Established Member
Congrats on the numbers. E85 is definitely the way to go. I have a bit of info to share for all. My car has been sitting for about 10 months and I had forgotten to drain the E85 out of it until today. While I was draining the fuel out today I went ahead and tested it to find out if anything had changed in the 10 months it was sitting and to my surprise it tested at 90%, exactly what it tested at when I put the E85 in it. There were no signs of deterioration in the filter or lines.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Congrats on the numbers. E85 is definitely the way to go. I have a bit of info to share for all. My car has been sitting for about 10 months and I had forgotten to drain the E85 out of it until today. While I was draining the fuel out today I went ahead and tested it to find out if anything had changed in the 10 months it was sitting and to my surprise it tested at 90%, exactly what it tested at when I put the E85 in it. There were no signs of deterioration in the filter or lines.
I have seen numerous similar results. There is really nothing to worry about but great fuel!

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
Must be nice! We don't even have a station with an E85 pump around here yet. I'd love to tune my car on it, race gas at $2.25 a gallon would be sweet!!

Congrats on your numbers, bet that thing is a blast!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
congrats man... gotta love the corn power!

As to fuel mileage, purportedly you get about 30% less with E85, from the short time I've had my Shelby I was seeing 9MPG based on spirited driving and the former owner told me he got on average 12mpg

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Just curious your pulley combo should be for more than 18lbs of boost. More like 20lbs and with Race gas you could still achieve those numbers and run another degree of timing also. I had the same upper pulley and with a 6lb lower saw 22lbs every time out.

According to Art Whipple, with long tubes, off road X and the Borla catback one might expect a drop of 1.5-2 psi of boost due to the lack of restriction. Friday night on the way home from a cruise it was ~53*, I rolled into it in 3rd gear and saw 20 psi. IMO, if I don't net another 10hp for every degree of timing, it's not worth leaning on it to me. The car actually made 633hp & 634 lb-ft at 22* of timing. We upped it to 23* and gained only 4 hp but lost 15 lb-ft. The numbers I posted in my OP were at 23* of timing and a max of 18psi dropping to ~16.5 psi at the top of the pull. How can one argue spending $9+/gallon for C16, when you can pay $2.21 for E85, make a little less power, not kill O2 sensors, and buy it off the street when needed???

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
congrats man... gotta love the corn power!

As to fuel mileage, purportedly you get about 30% less with E85, from the short time I've had my Shelby I was seeing 9MPG based on spirited driving and the former owner told me he got on average 12mpg

The only road trip I've taken with my car is when I flew to Texas and drove it home to Kansas...I got 22mpg with the a/c cranked. Since then it's a pleasure only car with MUCH spirited driving:rockon:

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Glad to see you made your goal. I would have thrown 2 more degrees timing in there for sure and you would have made over 650.

Congrats on making the switch. :thumbsup:

The motor didn't seem to like the timing much over 22.5*....we were starting to see signs of detonation. After NUMEROUS years of racing and building motors, I'm starting to error on the side of safety when it comes to the tune. I made that VERY clear to the tuner, and made certain he followed my wishes/orders. I wasn't looking to post just a number, I wanted a tune I could hammer on all day long and not DOTC.:beer:

The power level I'm at now will do me for a while...then like crack I'll be looking for more. Right now I need to worry about the half shafts and the tranny input shaft:burnout:

oldmodman

Established Member
I sure hope that California starts putting in E-85 pumps.

There is only one E-85 station in SoCal and it's only 2 miles from me. But the next nearest one is more than one tankful away. And we get charged 3.49 a gallon for it.:cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread