E85 in Colorado

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
It seems a company called Pester has acquired Western Convenience which was the ONLY E85 provider actually selling true E85 at the pump. I noticed when I filled up a few weeks ago that my ethanol sensor suddenly read 83% instead of the typical 86-87% I was getting before. Which I thought was kind of odd. Then today I noticed all the Western Convenience stores had Alta and Conoco on them. They appear to still be selling E85 for now, but they are blending it down.

While Kum and Go has always been E70 at best, lately they have been much cheaper - 1.84 per gallon vs. 2.09 at the the former Western Convenience stores. I decided to change my tune and stick with the Kum and Go's for now.

I know there are a few Valero stations that sell E85 here and there, I filled up 1 time a couple years ago and it was also E70.

I suppose the overall consensus is that E70 vs. E85 octane wise doesn't make any difference... and you will get better MPG if you change your tune stoich to match the % of ethanol. I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end of Ethanol.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Check out the FB group
E85 Colorado

Hill Petroleum will also deliver 55 gal barrels to your house. Call them and ask for the FB group discount. They can do E85, E85R (mixed with race fuel instead of gas), and E98.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Where are you in CO?

I'm pretty sure the Valero in Castle Rock has E85 but it's been a long time since I was down there.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I stick to Kum N Go down the street, as usually the gains from anything over 60%-70% are minimal unless a max effort build. 10hp or so, isn't worth stressing over.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I live in Monument... so Kum and Go is my best pump option. I've filled up at the Valero's including the one in Castle Rock... they only pump E70 also.

E70 is fine - it doesn't hurt your octane rating over E85 from what I understand... Your still getting around 104. If you change your tune stoich you will get better mileage and equal performance on E70.

Correct me if I am wrong.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Check out the FB group
E85 Colorado

Hill Petroleum will also deliver 55 gal barrels to your house. Call them and ask for the FB group discount. They can do E85, E85R (mixed with race fuel instead of gas), and E98.

Do you have the prices for this...? very interesting. I'd imagine delivered to the house... its gotta be way more expensive for E85 then filling up at the Kum and Go.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Do you have the prices for this...? very interesting. I'd imagine delivered to the house... its gotta be way more expensive for E85 then filling up at the Kum and Go.

I don't because I haven't switched to E85 yet but from reading that Facebook group I believe it's roughly equivalent to going to the pump. I don't think they charge a delivery fee or a barrel rental fee. It's worth a call if you're interested. Be sure to mention the Facebook group

Users who are viewing this thread