E85 help!

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
I am thinking running E85 with my 97 Cobra. I was just wondering what all I would need to make it work with the A1000 fuel pump I have and what kind of gains everybody sees with vortech or centeri type blowers. I am not too familiar with fuel set ups or E85 so any help will be appreciated thanks!

bullittbuild

Established Member
I am going to be running a A1000 you will need a 100 micron pre pump filter, A1000 pump, 10 or 40 micron post pump filter, y block, rails, regulator, and a bunch of fittings and line.

Digital

Established Member
I am thinking running E85 with my 97 Cobra. I was just wondering what all I would need to make it work with the A1000 fuel pump I have and what kind of gains everybody sees with vortech or centeri type blowers. I am not too familiar with fuel set ups or E85 so any help will be appreciated thanks!
I think you're in the boat of a lot of people that are slightly mis informed about higher octane fuels.
E85 isn't going to suddenly give you more power. It'll cool your temps which if you have a cooling issue will allow your car to not pull timing or allow your tuner to be more aggressive with the tune. Like adding timing which results in power, or adding boost, which again results in power. But you won't pump the gas in and see a direct power gain in most instances without a change to your tune. Some of the higher hp cars do see a decent gains though. Each is different.
It's like putting 93 octane in a sn95 v6. It doesn't have the tune to adjust for the higher octane so it doesn't gain any more power. There are still people putting it in assuming it does though.

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
He's in the process of doing a build. He will be able to run more timing and have a cooler air charge. E85 is a great idea for this car. Hes not just expecting to pour it in and get horse power. E85 doesnt work the same as other high octane fuels, such as turbo blue. Yes its higher octane. However, its not petroleum based and doesn't contain the same amount of energy as a gasoline of the same volume. Therefore the car needs more fuel to do the same amount of work. So any time you run e85, unless the car is set up to know its in the tank (which is a function of density) you have to have a retune and typically a larger fuel delivery system. With petroleum derivatives you can just add more timing and a little bit of fuel to make more power. With E85, you have to add a lot more fuel than you would with just petrol based.

Does he have to put a sump in the tank to feed the A1000?

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
He's in the process of doing a build. He will be able to run more timing and have a cooler air charge. E85 is a great idea for this car. Hes not just expecting to pour it in and get horse power. E85 doesnt work the same as other high octane fuels, such as turbo blue. Yes its higher octane. However, its not petroleum based and doesn't contain the same amount of energy as a gasoline of the same volume. Therefore the car needs more fuel to do the same amount of work. So any time you run e85, unless the car is set up to know its in the tank (which is a function of density) you have to have a retune and typically a larger fuel delivery system. With petroleum derivatives you can just add more timing and a little bit of fuel to make more power. With E85, you have to add a lot more fuel than you would with just petrol based.

Yeah what he said...lol

20+psi

700+rwhp club
Established Member
The A1000 would benefit better with a sump because it doesn't have to work as hard to "push" the fuel as it will be gravity fed with the sump. The pump can work harder trying to "pull" fuel through a pick up as opposed to "push" fuel with the sump.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
the a1000 flows 600lb/hr....what do the dual gt pumps flow?
11101_flowchart_large.jpg

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
e-85

the a-1000 is only rated at 1000hp on a boosted application, it can only maintain fuel pressure at a certain rate so when your boost comes in and demands 60-70psi its efficiency goes way down, my buddy runs a return setup with this pump on his 99 cobra 302stroker witha 200 shot, perfect for his application, but not for a car who plans on making 600rwhp which is about 690 at the crank in a boosted application, wanting to run a fuel that uses 30%more volume(roughly) , i personally wouldnt run gt pumps or compare them ,they are a variable speed pump anyway, instead compare the efficiency of the a-1000 to twin walbro gss-342's , IMO the a-1000 would run short if he is really gonna make 600rwhp plus e-85 or close to it with really no room for growth

Last edited:

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
First a pump(s) that will support the extra 30% of fuel needed. I would run larger feed and return lines.
I run only E85 and have twin 044 pumps with -10 feed line and -6 return. I run 80lb injectors with 60psi base pressure.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
First a pump(s) that will support the extra 30% of fuel needed. I would run larger feed and return lines.
I run only E85 and have twin 044 pumps with -10 feed line and -6 return. I run 80lb injectors with 60psi base pressure.

pumps in tank? If so, will he need to a different hat?

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I have a sumped tank and the pumps are mounted behind the bumper.

Teej281

Established Member
How quiet are those twin externals? Also, can the Bosch 040 pumps(In tank version of the 044) be put in the Fore hat in place of the GSS342's?

Users who are viewing this thread