E85 guys, does it smell like racegas?

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
Just a random thing i was thinking about today, people always make comments to me about how good my car smells when i'm driving (Q13 :rockon: )
Since E85 is around 105 octane, does it share similar smell characteristics with high octane race fuel?

Ralo

Established Member
I've heard corn so I imagine popcorn would be around what it smells like

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
in georgia e85 is only $.20 cheaper than regular gas. so you really save $.50 per gal in the end. not sure its really worth it considering the loss of fuel economy.....

Ralo

Established Member
Like LTHL said you can't really compare it to the price of 87 octane. It seems that E85 is often mistaken for a 85 octane mix. It is 105 with great cooling effects. There are several people making better numbers with $2 a gallon E85 than they were with $10+ C16

forcefedcobra

Established Member
LOL...:lol:

It does have a unique smell. I wouldn't say like popcorn, but more like some kind of alcoholic drink. I think it smells good, but race gas smells good too.

A nice corn martini! LOL!

I wish Oklahoma had E85 more available so maybe I could convert my car

Tell me about it! My tuner does a ton of cars from Wichita (where they have e85 everywhere) and keeps telling me to make the swap but they dont sell it anywhere near where I live. All I need is one pump somewhere close and I'll be burning corn like my buddy Kevin!

you don't compare it to pump prices, you compare it to racegas prices

Yep. Even with using 30-40% more e85 than gasoline the cost difference between it and race gas makes it well worth it. not to mention the power increase and detonation property!

Like LTHL said you can't really compare it to the price of 87 octane. It seems that E85 is often mistaken for a 85 octane mix. It is 105 with great cooling effects. There are several people making better numbers with $2 a gallon E85 than they were with $10+ C16

I think everyone is making more power with e85 over race gas. You can run a butt load more timing and still be safer. Also like you said the cooling effects of it REALLY help our heat soaked supercharged motors.

Ralo

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChUZ9yP4CdI"]YouTube- Garrett Johnson's 2004 Cobra - 3.4L Whipple / E85[/ame]

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i just wish Lubbock would get out of 1985 and get atleast ONE E85 pump. until then i buy Q13 by the drum

Users who are viewing this thread