E85 emissions questions

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I don't like the idea of running catalytic converters and havn't since removing my stock H-pipe back in '04. Now up until my conversion to E85 i just dealt with the added smell of fuel. Now that i'm running E85 all the time, i'd like to know what the difference in exhaust emissions produced are. I've been pulled over once for not having catalytic converters, but now i'd think cars running E85 all the time could possibly have a case for not needing them. i know it would take legislation, but do you think if you were pulled over by a cop and they brought up the exhaust issue, you could reason with them by saying you are a "green vehicle"?

I don't believe there are any E85 ONLY vehicles, as they're Flex Fuel and have to run regular gasoline or any ethanol mixture from the factory......but on a car running E85 only, are cats doing anything much?

RFH

Established Member
For the same equivalence ratio, emissions running E85 are roughly the same as gasoline.

Yes cats still work the same whether you're running gas or E85, they don't care as long as the same equivalence ratio is put through them, they will oxidize HC and CO and reduce NOx.

However, E85 does produce higher levels of aldehydes, such as formaldehyde, which isn't great for you.

But at the end of the day E85 is a hydrocarbon fuel and produces CO,HC, NOx and PM just like gasoline, its not a miracle fuel.

Last edited:

vjay88

Too little to late
Established Member
For the same equivalence ratio, emissions running E85 are roughly the same as gasoline.

Yes cats still work the same whether you're running gas or E85, they don't care as long as the same equivalence ratio is put through them, they will oxidize HC and CO and reduce NOx.

However, E85 does produce higher levels of aldehydes, such as formaldehyde, which isn't great for you.

But at the end of the day E85 is a hydrocarbon fuel and produces CO,HC, NOx and PM just like gasoline, its not a miracle fuel.

Hmmm..... IDK about this.

Their have been a few cases of catless cars, running full time on E85, going in for a smog check and they failed because they did NOT produce enough emissions. Everything on their sheet said zero.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Tony,

You still need catalytic converters when running E85. It does reduce some tailpipe emissions, but the catalytic converters are still required.

E85 will not harm catalytic converters.

If you want reason, your whole car with long tubes, no EGR, E85, Etc.... is not legal anyway. There is only one company that I know of that has an E85 Conversion kit that is EPA legal and approved.

Are you worried they will not pass a visual inspection? Just tack weld on some heat sheilds from some old cats and be done with it.

RFH

Established Member
Hmmm..... IDK about this.

Their have been a few cases of catless cars, running full time on E85, going in for a smog check and they failed because they did NOT produce enough emissions. Everything on their sheet said zero.

Sure it is, Ive been doing emissions testing and research on E85 vehicles since 2002. Look it up and prove me wrong.

I like E85 and am just trying to cut through the BS, like E85 producing no emissions, which is blatantly untrue.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
just go suck on the tail pipe with the car running and see how you feel. haha j/k. i was wondering the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread