E85 eats up the upper chain guide in a stock coyote?

twistedneck

Established Member
I was surfing around MMR's website looking at stuff and found they have a new addition for the Coyote. Its a steel secondary upper chain guide. They are stating that E85 causes this sucker to get soft and fail.

Has anyone failed one of these upper secondary guides due to E85 yet? The part they show looks horrible.

I'm worried since this is my 3rd year exclusively on E85 w/o any fuel treatment ever on my Coyote. I rev the hell out of it. i'm also refreshing this engine for E85 this winter, didn't plan on these but they might be real and not just a sales tactic.

----------------------------------------------
2011-2015 5.0 Coyote Billet Steel Secondary Upper Chain Guide ( A MUST FOR ALL E-85/Methanol Applications )
Unfortunately the 5.0 Engine was never designed for E-85 operation, the plastic secondary guides are softened quickly by chemicals contained in the E-85 and other fuels to the point of failure as shown below. Furthermore increased valve spring pressure and load from aftermarket camshafts and cams place the part under extreme load. This causes secondary chain failure and ultimately catastrophic engine failure. MMR has the answer for these applications with its new Heat Treated Billet steel guides. The MMR guides eliminate this problem. The MMR chain guides are lubricated by oiling holes to prevent excessive wear and provide reliable operation for both street and strip vehicles.

These guides are suitable and recommended for Pump Gas, E-85, Race fuels and Methanol. 2 Guides included for 1 engine. Direct replacement.

FordEvangelist

Established Member
That's stupid. I've run e85 for years and just had the front cover off the motor. Guides are great. If you have fuel in the cam timing system you're probably f'd anyway.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
my guides looked exactly like the ones in mmr's photo when we took the car apart the last time.

it's not snake oil

and that's my second set as well, so they weren't on the car for that long

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
We've been running straight E98 in our car for the past 3 years and everything looks just as good as when we put it together.

I've been running E85 in my car for the past 2 years and everything has been fine.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Haha I love it!
You can tell who pushes MMR product around here.
OP- you'll be fine like the rest of us

XCSEDAN

Established Member
seen mod 5.4 motors down here do it with e85.
all depends on oil contamination more than anything else, pick the right oil to deal with e85, it'll be sweet, and make sure the blowby is under control.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
So you literally change nothing other than the fuel if I wanted to try this on my car? I have a tuner and would update that but to what? Check otane of e85 etc?

evil281

Established Member
So you literally change nothing other than the fuel if I wanted to try this on my car? I have a tuner and would update that but to what? Check otane of e85 etc?

You need to make sure you have a fuel system that can support e85. Remember that E85 requires about 30% more volume than 91-93. So if your injectors or pump are already near the max end of the duty cycle you would need to upgrade those parts as well as tune for the new fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread