E85 Conversion Numbers

Hey, guys! I know it's been a hot minute since I've posted. I believe I made a post a couple months ago on the turbo build, but if you don't remember, here are the basic specs on the car...

Specs:
1997 Cobra

~Stock 97 Cobra 4v B heads, stock upper and lower intake, stock cams.
~2003 Mustang GT shortblock, stock GT pistons, stock GT rods, stock GT crank.
~61mm Precision T4 turbo, custom turbo kit built by Power By The Hour. :rockon:
~38lb/hr Lucas Injectors, 255 in tank and 255 in line fuel pumps, -8 feed -6 return.
~Boost is straight off the wastegate spring, so average of 9.5-10.5psi throughout the run.
~Tuned by Ken Bjonnes :rockon:

I've been itching to get the car converted to E85 since there has slowly been more and more stations carrying close by, so I figured I'd get as much documented as possible since I haven't really seen too may DD/stock motor conversions posted anywhere. We started the day off with getting a baseline pull with gas so there will be similar air temps and boost numbers between gas and E85.

Outdoor air temp: 95*F
Outdoor humidity: 42%

6001219189_93a9e4085c_b.jpg

We then swapped the injectors out for a set of High Impedance Siemens Deka 80lb/hr. When Ken originally tuned the car for the turbo with gas and the smaller lucas injectors, he had to adjust the mass air curve for the a/f to be correct (the 38lb injectors are a GM injector and spray less than an actual 38lb injector would). So with that being said, we didn't get a completely accurate gas vs. e85 with the same timing and mass air curve. But with everything corrected, timing added, a/f adjusted to see an average of about 11.8 WOT, this is what the car ended up making:

Same specs as before, but with 80lb injectors, again tuned by Ken Bjonnes.

Outdoor air temp: 95*F
Outdoor humidity: 50%

6001219365_b1d122b055_b.jpg

And here is just a graph of the E85 pull and gas pull together:

6001767790_51261b00f8_b.jpg

Dyno Video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfiIu1oze4"]‪Danielle's Turbo Cobra 10psi E85‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

I do daily drive this car 50+ miles a day, but Ken is very confident that with this fuel the motor should last more than long enough to get my built short block finished.

:rockon::rockon:

Last edited:
Fixed it for ya there bud.

Very nice numbers with the E85 Danielle. I bet the Cobra is an entirely different animal now. :rockon:

Thanks lol! :p

It definitely is. May not be making huge power, but the thing spools so quick, it catches a lot of people by surprise lol. I'm hoping to find it's sweet spot...maybe super hot tires...since it now spins all through 1st gear and through some of 2nd with drag radials. Gotta keep her a dig monster! :banana:

BRIZZOK84

Established Member
I had a 96 cobra. Loved that car it was so much fun. I always though if it had around 400HP at the wheel would be perfect for that year.

Users who are viewing this thread