E85 conversion help

Isidro Lopez

Hi so I’ve never done a fuel system swap before and was planning to go e85 soon so so I was wondering what I need to convert over to e85 and what fuel system is best for a reasonable price. Thanks!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Look into a fore return fuel system. Top quality stuff. There are vendors on here, like Malcolm and TRBO VNM to name a couple.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

The Bone

Established Member
Why do you want to go E85? Fuel is hard to find. Conversion is not cheap. You better make sure you can get a tune before you drop any money on this.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Why do you want to go E85? Fuel is hard to find. Conversion is not cheap. You better make sure you can get a tune before you drop any money on this.
How hard it is to find depends on the area. I have two stations within 5 miles of my house. Conversion depends on power goals. Minimum might be injectors and pumps. Yeah, the big boy systems are expensive, but so is a new engine. And there are plenty of tuners that can tune for E85. Even if you have to go remote.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Why not? It's probably the best mod I've done besides a bigger blower. It's another safety measure if running high boost. Guys running 20+psi on 90-93 octane is just asking for trouble....

Most of us running E85 already had a tuner willing to do the tune....

Isidro Lopez

I’m currently running a 2.6 kenne bell at only 18psi, fuel is my limiting factor at the moment, and there’s a couple of stations close to my house that have e85 and I know a tuner that can tune for e85

Isidro Lopez

Why not? It's probably the best mod I've done besides a bigger blower. It's another safety measure if running high boost. Guys running 20+psi on 90-93 octane is just asking for trouble....

Most of us running E85 already had a tuner willing to do the tune....

Yeah I’m currently at 18psi with my kenne bell, I’m trying to get to 21psi and hopefully reach 700whp after I’m done.

Quick Strike

Established Member
What is your current fuel system? It should have some upgrades to run the 2.6 KB.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If it’s hard to find, buy a transfer tank and a hand pump. That’s what I did. Obviously you would need a truck or some way of transporting it.

But it’s worth the switch! Big power for cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCguy

Established Member
Yeah I’m currently at 18psi with my kenne bell, I’m trying to get to 21psi and hopefully reach 700whp after I’m done.

One thing to keep in mind with E85 is the ethanol content is inconsistent the further North in the country you're located. You're in Norcal looks like so you may want to ask around and see....if you're in a place like FL you're prob going to have >75-80% year round but if it gets seasonally cold where you are pumps will typically use a lower grade ethanol, like 60-70% during the winter. You'll frequently hear guys talking about "winter mix" and "summer mix" - this is what its referring to. Lower ethanol content/more fuel allows for easier starting/operation of the car in cold climates so that is one reason why its used during the winter as its a bit richer fuel mixture.

This obviously creates a problem, in that you now have an inconsistent fuel mixture by using pump E85. There are workarounds of course.....having a "summer tune" and "winter tune", tuning the car conservatively probably a bit more than normal but leaving power on the table, driving the car only during the better "summer mix" time of year, testing the fuel prior to pumping it with an E85 checker, having a 93 pump tune as a backup, etc. Some even buy their E85/E90 direct from a vendor/race shop in order to keep the fuel consistent and the tune on point. So, there are many compromises here........when on a stock PCM. Talk to your tuner that knows your area and see what they recommend.

The BEST solution is to go with a standalone ECU that allows you to run an ethanol content sensor and will adjust the fuel tables / timing curves in the tune automatically based on the ethanol content in the fuel......this can add a considerable cost to your budget but its something to keep in mind and ask your tuner about depending on your needs. You would simply add the sensor to the return fuel line and I would also suggest using a Lambda capable AFR gauge, especially if you plan to also have a 93 octane tune, since the stoich points for the fuels are not the same. This route may be more expensive, but if you have some decent $$ in your engine build its money well spent to help keep the tune happy no matter what pump E85 you're using (as long as its above 60%).

The other major cost, in addition to whatever fuel system you choose, is going to be injectors. Those will need to be upgraded to at minimum a 1000cc considering your power goals....if you can afford, I would suggest a 1300cc as it will allow for lower fuel pressures / duty cycle and room to grow in the future.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
One thing to keep in mind with E85 is the ethanol content is inconsistent the further North in the country you're located. You're in Norcal looks like so you may want to ask around and see....if you're in a place like FL you're prob going to have >75-80% year round but if it gets seasonally cold where you are pumps will typically use a lower grade ethanol, like 60-70% during the winter. You'll frequently hear guys talking about "winter mix" and "summer mix" - this is what its referring to. Lower ethanol content/more fuel allows for easier starting/operation of the car in cold climates so that is one reason why its used during the winter as its a bit richer fuel mixture.

This obviously creates a problem, in that you now have an inconsistent fuel mixture by using pump E85. There are workarounds of course.....having a "summer tune" and "winter tune", tuning the car conservatively probably a bit more than normal but leaving power on the table, driving the car only during the better "summer mix" time of year, testing the fuel prior to pumping it with an E85 checker, having a 93 pump tune as a backup, etc. Some even buy their E85/E90 direct from a vendor/race shop in order to keep the fuel consistent and the tune on point. So, there are many compromises here........when on a stock PCM. Talk to your tuner that knows your area and see what they recommend.

The BEST solution is to go with a standalone ECU that allows you to run an ethanol content sensor and will adjust the fuel tables / timing curves in the tune automatically based on the ethanol content in the fuel......this can add a considerable cost to your budget but its something to keep in mind and ask your tuner about depending on your needs. You would simply add the sensor to the return fuel line and I would also suggest using a Lambda capable AFR gauge, especially if you plan to also have a 93 octane tune, since the stoich points for the fuels are not the same. This route may be more expensive, but if you have some decent $$ in your engine build its money well spent to help keep the tune happy no matter what pump E85 you're using (as long as its above 60%).

The other major cost, in addition to whatever fuel system you choose, is going to be injectors. Those will need to be upgraded to at minimum a 1000cc considering your power goals....if you can afford, I would suggest a 1300cc as it will allow for lower fuel pressures / duty cycle and room to grow in the future.
I live in Minnesota. The winter blend has always been consistent at 70%. And summer blend doesn't really show until mid July. Which was always 85-87%.

The transition is slower because the ethanol where I buy it likely doesn't get used up that fast.

Isidro Lopez

Thanks for this, this will definitely help me when I switch over!

willis414

Established Member
The minimum I'd feel ok with so you could make good power is...
*Twin Gt pumps, in a modified hat or aftermarket
*Duel FPDM
*Wiring upgrade with relays
*Boost a pump, turned up to 100% on E85
80lb injectors

I ran this exact setup for a couple of years with the stock lines, filters, and rails with great results and zero issues with a 2.9.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Stock pumps with a boost a pump and 60lb injectors

Would you consider a Torco tune for higher boost? Your current fuel set-up should be ok on 93 octane and Torco with your 2.6L. My race tune uses 48 oz of Torco per tank and makes almost 750 RWHP at 22# boost and it would be safe to 25# boost. My street tune uses 16 oz of Torco per tank at 20# boost mainly as detonation protection. Mixing it in gets old after 10 years or so, but there is no E85 within 40 miles of me and that one is on the turnpike.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread