E85 color

96dreamer

Established Member
I have two containers of e85(e70) in the garage that came out of my car when I dropped the tank to do my fuel system a few months ago. One has been in the container since it came out and looks fine. The other was put back in the car to prime the system and check for leaks then I pumped it back out today to make some changes to the lines. As it was being pumped out the color became more and more yellow/ orange. The picture below is them side by side. First picture the left one is the off color one and the second it's on the right. The pictures don't show the color difference that much but there's a pretty significant difference in person.

Anyone experience this before. I think I'm going to get rid of the off color fuel by dumping a little in my jeep here and there. Not sure I want to run it though the car.

20210414_193111.jpeg

20210414_193249.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have stored about 5 gallons of pump side tested 85% for about 9 months.....it never changed color. It retested 85% before it went in the car and was run with no issues.

I have never pulled ethanol back out of the vehicle....so can't really comment on that. Sure sounds odd. Something within the fuel system must have contaminated it as far as I can guess. What brand few lines are you running? Did the fuel filter change color? I know my fuel filter and plugs look clean as a whistle when I change them (this car has pretty much run E85 exclusively for over a decade).

96dreamer

Established Member
I have stored about 5 gallons of pump side tested 85% for about 9 months.....it never changed color. It retested 85% before it went in the car and was run with no issues.

I have never pulled ethanol back out of the vehicle....so can't really comment on that. Sure sounds odd. Something within the fuel system must have contaminated it as far as I can guess. What brand few lines are you running? Did the fuel filter change color? I know my fuel filter and plugs look clean as a whistle when I change them (this car has pretty much run E85 exclusively for over a decade).

It's all brand new an fittings direct ptfe hose and fittings, new fuelab pump and ss filters, as well as a brand new Glenn's sleeper tank. I primed about a half gallon through the new part of the system to flush anything out that blowing air through the lines didn't clean. I ended up putting about 5 gallons into the same tank I primed into though so that may have something to do with the color change. The pumps and filters had a generous amount of what I believe was mineral spirits in them that would have gone into that tank as well. The first start with the new system didn't do anything odd that would suggest a fuel issue. A/F's were spot on, idled fine and it was still measuring e-70, the same as when it went in. I haven't pulled the filters off to check them, probably won't till at least the end of the season due to it just being a pita.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I was going to say it's probably residue from the new components. It probably won't hurt anything, but I'd still run it through the daily instead of the race car to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread