E85 and plugs / gap

Jrock909

Established Member
I swapped plugs this morning and have to tell you the truck seems to pull harder and the acceleration is a hell of lot better, plugs didn't look bad at all, we'll see what these look like after its all said and done!

Jrock909

Established Member
Swapped out my BR7's for TR6's this morning and I could actually feel a performance difference out of the hole from a stop sign for a sure, so maybe these plugs are the shit for boost and E85, hope so! Let me know what you come up with on the stock plugs if you do decide to run those plugs...... ;-)

yfzkevin

Established Member
Ok well a little update from my end. I put some TR6's in the car on friday after work. Car ran really good with them and didnt feel like that had that miss up top. But now I got a bigger problem. I think I might have lifted a head on the car. I had coolant splash on the windshield from the radiator cap :( I am going to try a couple things to try and make sure thats it. If so I will be pulling the motor asap putting new head gaskets in and putting it back in the car. If I have to pull the motor I will look at my money situation and see if I cant do cams at the same time. Im not sure if I can make it happen or not though. I will keep you guys posted.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Ok well a little update from my end. I put some TR6's in the car on friday after work. Car ran really good with them and didnt feel like that had that miss up top. But now I got a bigger problem. I think I might have lifted a head on the car. I had coolant splash on the windshield from the radiator cap :( I am going to try a couple things to try and make sure thats it. If so I will be pulling the motor asap putting new head gaskets in and putting it back in the car. If I have to pull the motor I will look at my money situation and see if I cant do cams at the same time. Im not sure if I can make it happen or not though. I will keep you guys posted.

what kind of boost? A few have pushed stock head gaskets to 26-27psi and been ok.

yfzkevin

Established Member
I have a built 5.0L stroker with all ARP everything even ARP head studs. I have aftermarket head gaskets. If I remember right, they are FEL-PRO. They are what MMR suggested for my boost and plans of the car. I am running 23~24 psi boost. Its pulled for around 30 psi. Its hits 30 psi then its starts to slip and comes down to 23 or so really quickly. The coolant only starts to come out under full boost. It doesnt smoke at start up. It doesnt seem to be burning any coolant. Just under full boost it seems to pressurize the coolant system and shoot some out of the cap. Which is what leads me to think the heads were lifted.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I have a built 5.0L stroker with all ARP everything even ARP head studs. I have aftermarket head gaskets. If I remember right, they are FEL-PRO. They are what MMR suggested for my boost and plans of the car. I am running 23~24 psi boost. Its pulled for around 30 psi. Its hits 30 psi then its starts to slip and comes down to 23 or so really quickly. The coolant only starts to come out under full boost. It doesnt smoke at start up. It doesnt seem to be burning any coolant. Just under full boost it seems to pressurize the coolant system and shoot some out of the cap. Which is what leads me to think the heads were lifted.

gotcha. well good luck. Im sure it will be an easy fix if thats all it did

Zacharyx

Established Member
I was thinking that tr6 was stock range for the 03/04 Cobra ??, any way , when I was running e85 I started with the BR7efs and the car ran like garbage ( it was 40-50 degrees though) swapped to TR6 and it made a major improvement and the car idles and ran much smoother, went to TR55 and car felt much stronger.

Car detail
97 Mustang GT
stroked 2v with 8.5 comp
ported SVO heads
Ported SVO intake VT stage2 turbo cams
twin 60s
12# of boost

blowngt

Established Member
I was thinking that tr6 was stock range for the 03/04 Cobra ??, any way , when I was running e85 I started with the BR7efs and the car ran like garbage ( it was 40-50 degrees though) swapped to TR6 and it made a major improvement and the car idles and ran much smoother, went to TR55 and car felt much stronger.

Car detail
97 Mustang GT
stroked 2v with 8.5 comp
ported SVO heads
twin 60s
12# of boost

I had the same experience. Not only did my car run 'choppier' with the BR7EF's, but it idle'd like crap as well.

TR6's are the right choice IMO.....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

Car detail
97 Mustang GT
stroked 2v with 8.5 comp
ported SVO heads
twin 60s
12# of boost

what does the TR55 look like compared to the TR6? and what is it as far as heat range? half a range hotter?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Jake now that were on the subject again you should look into the R5724-8 plug by NGK (stock # 7317), looks dead up like a tr6, just isnt as projected. I had a set but never did get a chance to equally size them up due to some issues at the time Could be the the ticket......alot of the lsx guys use them who are loyal to tr6's when the are on the sauce, claim next step cooler from tr6.

LS1TECH - View Single Post - Spark Plug, Info, Jetting, FAQs, All Nitrous Info, Read Me!!

I may order a set up, my car is safe on 6's and 7's, but it would be really nice to find a plug that negated my 20whp loss and maintain some extra safety.....you will see the track before me again, not hitting again unless some killer air comes around or the solid axle shows up. I may get bored and dyno whore it

TR55 the tip is alot more projected.......

Last edited:

Jrock909

Established Member
Ya Broke that was mainly the reason I was using the BR7EF's just for a little bit of safety, so I wonder if those #7317's are any good with the projected tip..... Be nice to have a good plug for max power potential and a little safety zone to....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Jake now that were on the subject again you should look into the R5724-8 plug by NGK (stock # 7317), looks dead up like a tr6, just isnt as projected. I had a set but never did get a chance to equally size them up due to some issues at the time Could be the the ticket......alot of the lsx guys use them who are loyal to tr6's when the are on the sauce, claim next step cooler from tr6.

LS1TECH - View Single Post - Spark Plug, Info, Jetting, FAQs, All Nitrous Info, Read Me!!

I may order a set up, my car is safe on 6's and 7's, but it would be really nice to find a plug that negated my 20whp loss and maintain some extra safety.....you will see the track before me again, not hitting again unless some killer air comes around or the solid axle shows up. I may get bored and dyno whore it

TR55 the tip is alot more projected.......

I don't know how much its affected by the projection? thats the one thing thats different besides the heat range. If we could use a plug that was a step cold but the same projection as the tr6 then the test (to me) would be better bc its only changing one thing.

as for the tr55, how much more? and is the heat range hotter or colder than tr6? and how far can we really go into the cylinder?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Ya Broke that was mainly the reason I was using the BR7EF's just for a little bit of safety, so I wonder if those #7317's are any good with the projected tip..... Be nice to have a good plug for max power potential and a little safety zone to....

I understand people do want the safety factor. but for me and broke, 20hp is 20hp. that shows up on ET at the track. For anyone else trying this just check and read your plugs. Im only at 15-16psi but my tr6s look great after a few passes.

lguizar12

Established Member
My car had really bad hiccups under wot. As suggested by yfzkevin I bought tr6 and gapped at 26. Car starts up way better now and it seems to run much smoother. I need to get a full wot run to check it out but it's doing alright!

Jrock909

Established Member
I know yesterday when I started the truck up, I think I might have got a 1/4 of a crank and vrooom it started up, so the plugs are definitely a nice performance change and startup has improved dramatically......

Users who are viewing this thread