e85 and paxton with jms BAP

125oh

Established Member
my plans are AED tuned paxton kit 3.8 pulley , id1000 jms bap and stock air box . car is auto with stock intake manifolds and stock headers . I know a fuel system is the best way to do it and it will come as i pulley down . but you guys running this setup are you running out of fuel?

Shaun@AED

Normally we do not run out of fuel with the Low boost setups on E85 and a JMS BAP set correctly, but every once in a while we do get a car that runs out of pump. Roughly 10% of the Paxton/Vortech setups we see on E85 with the stock Fuel pump will run out at the top of the RPM band. (We do not see this with TVS, Whipple, or Turbo cars FYI) Here is the last car that ran out of fuel with E85 on my dyno:

Notice at 7300 fueling is good, short terms are even pulling a little, but by 7650 measured fueling is 4% lean and short term fuel trims are adding. If this car was on gasoline I would be concerned, but E85 is such a safe fuel at this power level that even though we see this from time to time, we do not see any engine damage from it. We've actually seen severe lean conditions (.9+ lambda) in one instance while racing at the drag strip, about 5 or 6 passes like this and the spark plugs showed no signs of detonation. In fact the car actually picked up MPH vs running at the target lambda. That happened in July of 2013 and that Stock Coyote engine is still running to this day (even faster into the 9's).

13M6%20E85_zpswzttify4.jpg

715HP%20E85%20Dyno_zpstptbjzht.jpg

FYI on the above car we did not let it leave AED running like this. I modified the fuel hat and gained another 8-10% fuel volume.

My take on this is that E85 even running lean is FAR safer than pump gas on these applications. With a 20+volt BAP and the biggest blower pulley you should be fine, and you can drill out the fuel hat fitting for a little extra room, however it's not a bad idea to save up for a fuel system down the road as you will be at the limit of the fuel system with the stock pump + BAP running the Paxton/Vortech.

125oh

Established Member
Thanks for all the info Shaun , so the cars are running out of fuel way up in the rpm range ? What do you usually run a auto with stock manifold up to ? Could we lower the shift points slightly to stay away from a lean condition?

Shaun@AED

PD blowers and turbos are more efficient than these Centrificals, so they do not require as much fuel given the same Rear Wheel power level.

The dyno graph posted is a stock intake manifold car with a Paxton and 3.8" pulley. As you can see power peaks at 7325. With any of these centrifical setups you really need to shift as high as possible in order to go as fast as possible.

Krace

Established Member
Good info here, i run the same setup paxton, id1000s and JMS bap, e85~90, at 9.5 psi... (i plan on going to 11psi soon). No problems at all with fuel, im tuned by TSS. So far my PB is 10.6 @ 128mph, im gunning for lower 10s in 2016.

125oh

Established Member
Great to know krace . How do you like the setup ? Looks like I'll have close to the same setup minus headers . Do you run the stock air box? Anything you would have done different ?

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

I was running this set up but with VMP bap instead of JMS and my stock pump died after about 3-5k miles.

We have seen a few pump failures as well. I believe most of the fuel pump failures were on applications where the BAP was wired on full time. Less than 1/2 a dozen total pump failures in the last 3 years, and another 1/2 dozen 'weak' pumps that do not flow as they should, one on an all-motor Boss.

These are very high output pumps from the factory and when run at full power they produce significant heat. The fuel keeps the pump cool, so running low on fuel with the pump running at full voltage (or higher) can cause failures.
The factory runs 1/2 voltage till WOT (technically till a fuel flow threshold is triggered), at which point it runs full voltage. It's recommended to not go WOT with a BAP when the fuel level is low. Being a saddle tank 1/2 tank of fuel will have the pump fully submerged and that is the fuel level I prefer to race with, but you can go a bit lower and still have the pump submerged which keeps it cool.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Stock Intake stock headers stock opgs, Paxton on 3.8 shifting at 7100, ran 10.48 at 132 in my A6 with a 2c converter on e85 as well.

125oh

Established Member
Lownslow is that on a BAP ? Which one ? No fuel issues ? Anything you would have done different ?

Krace

Established Member
Great to know krace . How do you like the setup ? Looks like I'll have close to the same setup minus headers . Do you run the stock air box? Anything you would have done different ?

I love my paxton setup runs like stock when out of the throttle and runs like dog set on fire when at WOT... If I had all my money back now from this setup I would go On3 Twins... I've had this kit since my 2012 Mustang I had. So it's been 5 years, at that time this was one of the best deals for boost.

Users who are viewing this thread