E-85 Or Not,Whats the pros & cons

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
So What's the Pros and Cons
The Cobra will not be a daily, maybe run every weekend.

Let's here your thought's
Thanks
MBSVT

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Pro's, 105+ octane, great cooling, more timing, more boost, less chance of detonation, and it smells good. That's a few.
Cons: More frequent fill ups, but who cares?

RusWolf

Established Member
Pros: Race gas performance. Cheaper than 87 octane.
Cons: MPG will drop by 30-50% from whatever you are getting now. Limited availability.

Side note: Reduced MPG's and cheaper price= more frequent fill ups, at the End, cost will equal 93 octane. However, even than its still a better value than race gas starting at @ $10/gallon.

If you have access to it and your car is set up to handle it, i see 0 reasons not to have a tune for it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
to me the only real downside is the possible expense of the fuel system if its going to force you to make big upgrades to handle the extra volume you'll need but if you plan to run a race fuel anyway it would pay for itself pretty quickly

oldmodman

Established Member
The main thing I love about E-85 is it's tolerance for detonation. A couple of detonation events on 93 will probably damage the top ring land. Not with E-85. Just don't get too insane with timing.
Detonation is not just caused by too much advance or too lean a mixture. You could gave both of those set perfectly and then hit a really hot day and a long uphill stretch. Your cylinder temp will climb much faster than you IAT or water temp. It could go high enough that if you were burning straight gasoline it could throw uou over the safe curve into detonation. But by running E-85 you would be safe since the alcohol cools the intake mixture much more than straight gasoline, keeping you safe just a little longer.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
Pros: Race gas performance. Cheaper than 87 octane.
Cons: MPG will drop by 30-50% from whatever you are getting now. Limited availability.

Side note: Reduced MPG's and cheaper price= more frequent fill ups, at the End, cost will equal 93 octane. However, even than its still a better value than race gas starting at @ $10/gallon.

If you have access to it and your car is set up to handle it, i see 0 reasons not to have a tune for it.
Depends on where you live. I can get 92 here for 2.50 and E85 is over $3. Its still worth the price, I agree.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Depends on where you live. I can get 92 here for 2.50 and E85 is over $3. Its still worth the price, I agree.

Interesting. IIRC it seems the west coast blue states have E85 priced very high and that's if you can find it all. Must not be any refining close to you and then they tack on a huge transportation charge to bring it into the state.

Dusten

Established Member
No idea on that. I know there are only like 4 stations on the I5 corridor and they are spread way the **** out, with 2 of them being on bases.

kierrea35

Established Member
to me the only real downside is the possible expense of the fuel system if its going to force you to make big upgrades to handle the extra volume you'll need but if you plan to run a race fuel anyway it would pay for itself pretty quickly

This is the main reason I'm up in the air about it on the Shelby.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The main reason I ran it several years ago was simply for the safety margin.

A fuel system is a LOT cheaper than a new engine!

The power it makes is just icing on the cake!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The main reason I ran it several years ago was simply for the safety margin.

A fuel system is a LOT cheaper than a new engine!

The power it makes is just icing on the cake!

no doubt, an oiling issue just cost me ~9 grand for a new motor by the time it was said and done...not counting all the BS misc extra expenes, time and frustration you'll no doubt incur. We keep it nice and safe on pump and let it eat on E85

69b302

Established Member
cons: fuel mileage, e85 blends, testing your fuel, fuel system upgrades, and switching fuels(non flex fuel capable PCM). Availability

Pros: great fuel for high boost, flex fuel capable PCM make any mix of gas/e85 blend work properly.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The only downside for me on E85 is I change my oil very frequently and the cold hard start is pretty damn annoying. But other than that I love it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Cold start issues just means the tune needs tweaking. I couldn't tell a difference on startup between the two

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
Cold start issues just means the tune needs tweaking. I couldn't tell a difference on startup between the two

X2 no cold start issues here.

Love the corn. Availability is the only downside for me. There are just two stations where I am, and I can't really take the car out of town because there are no other stations until you hit Nashville which is a couple hour drive. I would have to carry a couple full jugs in the trunk to be sure I'll make it lol.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The only downside for me on E85 is I change my oil very frequently and the cold hard start is pretty damn annoying. But other than that I love it.

That's not the fault of E85. I can leave mine sitting for weeks and it will fire up first try. I do keep it on the batteryminder 24/7....04sleeper tuned

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's not the fault of E85. I can leave mine sitting for weeks and it will fire up first try. I do keep it on the batteryminder 24/7....04sleeper tuned

Really, ill have to see if Lund can try and fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread