E-85 and E-70 dyno question

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Okay I'm tossing around putting my car on the dyno for before and afters to compare the E-85 against my 110 octane Race Gas Tune. Problem is I can only get E-70 now so how little power will be lost? If it's anything worth saying it could be 10hp or so then I'm not going to do it because I want the test to be something we can all trust. Then we'll know once and for all the comparison between Race Gas Tune and a E-85 Tune and how much power is there or isn't there.

Also I have Twin GT pumps, bap, wiring upgrade, and 60lb injectors which we're guessing could handle the tune but maybe only on the dyno as far as the injectors. Car made 544hp before the Auto went in. So should this fuel system handle it on the dyno? Not interested in running it for good yet but just a dyno test.

Here's the tune they would both have and yes same day dyno without taking the car off of it.

Ported Eaton 2.9/6lb combo

a/f ratio------11.7 or so
timing---------25*'s

We'll make sure the car is the same operating temperature as well as any other variables.

Thoughts?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Are 60's enough for that power level and E85/E70? I think most people are jumping to 80's or more?

nanastymach1

Established Member
i think 80lb injectors and a modded fpdm or twin fpdms is all u need...im going the same route here soon if i can sell my 60's and get 80's...and im going to do 2 tunes for 93 oct and e85..i have stations thats 30+ miles away

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Okay I'm tossing around putting my car on the dyno for before and afters to compare the E-85 against my 110 octane Race Gas Tune. Problem is I can only get E-70 now so how little power will be lost?
Have you tested the fuel? The more Ethanol, the more Oxygen so I would assume it might make a few less HP. Not sure how much though.

If it's anything worth saying it could be 10hp or so then I'm not going to do it because I want the test to be something we can all trust. Then we'll know once and for all the comparison between Race Gas Tune and a E-85 Tune and how much power is there or isn't there.
Then I would wait and get a true test and make sure you are getting E85. Testing is very easy BTW.

I just saw a KB 2.8 Mammoth car with ported heads and cams make between 780-790 RWHP on 22* timing with C16. Drained the fuel and retuned for E85 with the same 22* timing made 846 RWHP first pull.

Here is another example from a couple of weeks ago.
2011 Mustang GT 5.0 It has the stock fuel system, long tube headers, cold air, 4.10 gears, twin disk clutch.

Red = 93 Octane. Blue = E85.
picture.php

Also I have Twin GT pumps, bap, wiring upgrade, and 60lb injectors which we're guessing could handle the tune but maybe only on the dyno as far as the injectors. Car made 544hp before the Auto went in. So should this fuel system handle it on the dyno? Not interested in running it for good yet but just a dyno test.
I am not sure the 60's will be enough. You can alway bump the fuel pressure in the tune to 60 psi and datalog Injector Duty Cycle and
give it a try. Also make sure the BAP is turned all the way up and datalog Fuel Pump Duty Cycle naturally.

Here's the tune they would both have and yes same day dyno without taking the car off of it.

Ported Eaton 2.9/6lb combo

a/f ratio------11.7 or so
timing---------25*'s

We'll make sure the car is the same operating temperature as well as any other variables.

Thoughts?
The E85 tune can be more aggresive down low and in the mid range with timing, so that might change things a little. Also, you must Datalog Spark Advance to make sure you are getting the true timing commanded.

Give it a shot. Worst case scenerio you don't have enough fuel and just drain the tank and load the old tune back in. :shrug:

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I don't have the means to test the fuel but was just going to try this because it would be fairly easy for me to do since the car is at the dyno now.

Looks like I'm going to wait until Spring to do this.

We're not sure on the 60's either but this is only for the dyno for testing. We can bump up the fuel pressure to hopefully make it through with just that.

This was going to be 110 Octane Tune vs. E85 with the exact same tune and a/f ratio. My car is maxed on timing at 25*'s anyways. I'd think the straight 110 octane can handle more timing down low also but the car makes plenty of torque already.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
I already did a test between 110 sunoco race gas vs E85 on my car. The results were 753rwhp/642rwtq on 110 sunoco to 802rwhp/692rwtq on E85, same dyno, same weather, same boost, same timing, everything the same.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I already did a test between 110 sunoco race gas vs E85 on my car. The results were 753rwhp/642rwtq on 110 sunoco to 802rwhp/692rwtq on E85, same dyno, same weather, same boost, same timing, everything the same.

thats awesome!

we all know how well it works on high hp cars. Ive only seen 1 guy do before and after on an "Eaton" car and basically gained nothing (7-8hp w/ 2* more). Ill be doing it in March/April and hope to see more like 20hp.

I still think Posi should try it...its gonna be on the dyno anyways!..:rockon:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I don't have the means to test the fuel but was just going to try this because it would be fairly easy for me to do since the car is at the dyno now.

Looks like I'm going to wait until Spring to do this.

We're not sure on the 60's either but this is only for the dyno for testing. We can bump up the fuel pressure to hopefully make it through with just that.

This was going to be 110 Octane Tune vs. E85 with the exact same tune and a/f ratio. My car is maxed on timing at 25*'s anyways. I'd think the straight 110 octane can handle more timing down low also but the car makes plenty of torque already.
Just give it a shot with what you have. It will only cost you a tank of gas. :shrug:

I have one already...just fill with fuel and water to the levels indicated and it will tell you what it is

793-36-E85.jpg

$15 at Summit / Jegs whatever. I say get one and do it!

Quick Fuel 36-E85 Quick Fuel E85 Carburetors
I have the same tester. You have to make sure you fill to the meniscus when measuring or it can be a little off.

I agree.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just give it a shot with what you have. It will only cost you a tank of gas. :shrug:

It'll cost me the drive to the gas station, gas, time to my Tuners, and then dyno time with a new tune. So probably a couple hundred dollars because I don't own a dyno nor do I tune my own car. This is only to see what it will do for all of us. All of us Eaton guys keep hearing how good it is and that's the only reason I'm even considering it. I have no interest in switching.

If I do it, it'll get tested next week. I've spent enough money on dyno testing so I gotta think about it a little more.

Last edited:

vadorsnake04

Established Member
thats awesome!

we all know how well it works on high hp cars. Ive only seen 1 guy do before and after on an "Eaton" car and basically gained nothing (7-8hp w/ 2* more). Ill be doing it in March/April and hope to see more like 20hp.

agreed.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
It'll cost me the drive to the gas station, gas, time to my Tuners, and then dyno time with a new tune. So probably a couple hundred dollars because I don't own a dyno nor do I tune my own car. This is only to see what it will do for all of us. All of us Eaton guys keep hearing how good it is and that's the only reason I'm even considering it. I have no interest in switching.

If I do it, it'll get tested next week. I've spent enough money on dyno testing so I gotta think about it a little more.
OK. Fair enough. I forgot you don't tune your own car, and didn't factor in dyno time.

I'm not sure why you would have no interest in switching???? :??:

If you have ever purchased Race Gas and made 2 tunes, there is no reason NOT to run it in my book. :shrug:

Either way I think it would be interesting to see. I understand if you don't want to shell out the $$$ just for fun though.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
OK. Fair enough. I forgot you don't tune your own car, and didn't factor in dyno time.

I'm not sure why you would have no interest in switching???? :??:

If you have ever purchased Race Gas and made 2 tunes, there is no reason NOT to run it in my book. :shrug:

Either way I think it would be interesting to see. I understand if you don't want to shell out the $$$ just for fun though.

I have no interest because nobody has done a Ported Eaton switch for before and after to sell me on it. So I'm not getting hyped up about spending more money on a fuel system when the one in my car works perfectly.:beer:

Worse gas mileage and I'm trying to keep my car as street friendly as possible so I could drive it anywhere. That anywhere still means as much mpg as I could muster and not worry about where to get gas. Might be kind of odd but it's just something I think about. With a full tank typically the way I drive I only get 180 miles per tank anyways lol. I know 2 tunes but still gotta prove it works to upgrade the fuel system to switch it over.

I agree it would be interesting but I'm in the middle of testing a blower also. Well testing, modifying, and testing again. Typically when we test we end up doing more than I thought anyways. Gotta have all my testing done Monday to free the dyno up for Tuesday. We also always test without the car coming off the dyno at all.:rockon:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I am going to get my car retuned on Fri/Sat hopefully if my Xcal comes in. I want to do a before and after check with my new tune vs the one I have on the car now on 91 octane with 22*. My revised tune is much richer than the tune I had with my sig numbers.

Then depending on the time we finish I want to drive down and fill up with E85 and get more aggressive with the timing. May have to wait till the morning or do it all on Sat. I have 60lb injectors. I let you know how mine fair. I also live a mile high and our DA is always well above 6500ft so we can usually get away from needing the fuel demand sea level peeps do.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Should be picking up the corn fuel this afternoon and on the dyno tomorrow or maybe the next day.

We'll get before numbers from the 110 octane race tune also on the same day.

Both fuels will have 25*'s of timing and the same a/f ratio.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Okay it might be early next week because my Tuner is busy. I got about 9 gallons of fuel though and I'll be back after the dyno.

Digital

Established Member
Okay it might be early next week because my Tuner is busy. I got about 9 gallons of fuel though and I'll be back after the dyno.
When your on the dyno you might want to see if you can heat soak it on 110. Then try again on e85 and see if there is a difference in the cooling as well.

Teej281

Established Member
Also buy the tester and test to make sure the ethanol content of it. Let's see a 600rwhp eaton cobra posi!!! Lol

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
When your on the dyno you might want to see if you can heat soak it on 110. Then try again on e85 and see if there is a difference in the cooling as well.

I don't think I'm interested in that because this is for the numbers only and I'm only interested in how it does at the track running 1/4 mile.

Also buy the tester and test to make sure the ethanol content of it. Let's see a 600rwhp eaton cobra posi!!! Lol

Okay I'm breaking down and buying one now.

Users who are viewing this thread