Dyno tune vs Email (remote) tune

DaveWertz

Established Member
Tossing around the idea of having my car remote tuned over dyno tune. Now I'm not a numbers guy, could care less what it puts down. Of course I want power but dyno guys are a good way away from me. I talk to allot of guys who started doing remote tuning and couldnt be happier. So my question is, what does everyone prefer? Cost of each and ease of not hauling your car to the dyno. I have a built motor and just about ready to add my vortech. I know I should have a AR gauge which is on the way. For you guys that have done email tunes who are some reputable tuners?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I had mine remote tuned by James Gordon in Florda. 0 issues at all and the price was right. Got a startup tune, datalogged and sent, got a idle/driving tune, datalogged and sent it in and then about 8-10 logs/retunes later he was satisfied with what he was seeing. Car pulls hard to 7k and AF is dead nuts spot on. I mean you won't go wrong with a GOOD remote tuner or a good dyno tuner. Its the canned "tunes for life" like bama that'll **** you.

DaveWertz

Established Member
I had mine remote tuned by James Gordon in Florda. 0 issues at all and the price was right. Got a startup tune, datalogged and sent, got a idle/driving tune, datalogged and sent it in and then about 8-10 logs/retunes later he was satisfied with what he was seeing. Car pulls hard to 7k and AF is dead nuts spot on. I mean you won't go wrong with a GOOD remote tuner or a good dyno tuner. Its the canned "tunes for life" like bama that'll **** you.
How much did it run you for this?

ndinadis

Established Member
I’ve used a remote tuner for my 3V that does a very good job.
He starts with a startup tunes and does idle logs and continues until it’s perfect.
The advantage of remote tuning in my mind over a dyno tune is collecting data and tuning the car under real load and driving conditions and the ability to concentrate on part throttle driving.

Dyno’s are great for wide open pulls in a safe environment but tunes generally are not able to test for street driving variable part throttle etc until they take the car out and test drive it.
Remote logging you can log any conditions you wish.
I’ve data logged 1/4 mile passes and driving around a neighborhood under 40km/h drying to fine tune the low rpm leaving from a stop and return to idle (I have cams with overlap and getting them to settle smother to idle after stopping took a log)

The only downsides to me are it’s more technical for you, I have my wife and and boost integrated into my tuner and have a laptop running beside me during logging to get as much data as possible.
The tuner also doesn’t have a chance to see or feel the car so if say you had a vacuum leak it’s on you to figure it out as they may or may not we able to tell something is off in the logs.
Also depending on how fast the car is and the roads available around you, WOT testing (normally only a small part of the process) can be sketchy if you don’t have somewhere safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

milktasd2

Established Member
I’m doing both. Remote tuning just to get it to run better/good enough to break in clutch and motor. Do a few more for some local test hits and then will follow up with tuning on dyno. We all like seeing a number.
I would just prefer to test down by home before towing 3 hours to Tennessee and something possibly happening there.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
How much did it run you for this?

Email or Call James and he will get you a quote. It is very reasonable, much less than most places. www.tuningbyjames.com

He might take 3 or 4 days to respond to emails though, he's super busy and is currently getting his phone blown up after last weekend when a Fusion Sport he tuned set a world record for a Fusion at the 1/4 mile. I just talked to him and I think it was an 11.4 at 119mph... close...

Best luck I've had with him picking up the phone is around 4-5pm eastern time.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Email or Call James and he will get you a quote. It is very reasonable, much less than most places. www.tuningbyjames.com

He might take 3 or 4 days to respond to emails though, he's super busy and is currently getting his phone blown up after last weekend when a Fusion Sport he tuned set a world record for a Fusion at the 1/4 mile. I just talked to him and I think it was an 11.4 at 119mph... close...

Best luck I've had with him picking up the phone is around 4-5pm eastern time.
The website doesn't work? Im interested in this.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You should have one regardless. Get a wideband and make sure you have it setup to be able to talk to the SCT handheld so your logs will show the wideband data.

Users who are viewing this thread