Dyno Tips

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
I am a dyno virgin. Tomorrow I will be going in for my first dyno and would like experts to comment on things to do and not do. Such as how much tire pressure I should run, how long to wait for the engine to cool and other areas witch would concern the outcome of this session. I get two pulls tomorrow and I want things to go well and not make me a nascence to the dyno operator. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have just installed the Predator and a 2.85RR with my current mods being a Flowmaster cat-back and drop-in K&N.

ALA G8R

Banned
With the Predator, full retard on the timing adjustment. Full rich on the fuel adjustment. Once you get your first run's A/F, then back lean out the A/F if necessary.

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Why would you wanna change your program just for the Dyno, I like dyno numbers to reflect real (as close to real) numbers that you are putting down on the street. No ice tricks, no super tunes. Cool downs maybe for track info. But sheesh no sense in getting inflated numbers.

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
With the Predator, full retard on the timing adjustment. Full rich on the fuel adjustment. Once you get your first run's A/F, then back lean out the A/F if necessary.
I assume you say this for safety as I plan to submit my results to James for a custom tune.

Any thoughts on tire pressure or cool down. Also, I am not intrested in inflated numbers either. I feel the track will determine the true performance of the car as the car is dependant on the driver and vice-versa.

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Take your camera and video it ......do a pull with the hood down......let it cool down after each pull if possible

expect 450-460 rwhp........let us know...............enjoy.

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
Take your camera and video it ......do a pull with the hood down......let it cool down after each pull if possible
I will take pics of all the cars doing their dyno's tomorrow but it is just a still camera. Hood down I may try that.

Thanks for all the advice... :rockon:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Tire pressure shouldnt matter much, but higher will decrease rolling resistance. The pull will probably be done in 4th gear, and traction wont matter.

About 15 minutes should be sufficient for cool down, although the longer the better.

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by Snake-Shadow
I assume you say this for safety as I plan to submit my results to James for a custom tune.

Exactly. Better safe than sorry. You don't want your car to ping on the dyno because of too much timing or too little fuel.

I am dynoing tomorrow with the Predator and am using this strategy. My pulley is only a 3.1 however.

My $0.02.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Turn off all electric motors, fans, radio, etc.
Turn off traction control.
Push the side mirrors in.

Users who are viewing this thread