Dyno results are in on my '00 R!

Andy M

Established Member
Guys,

I had Steve at Houston Performance install my Bassini hiflow exhaust system last week. It consists of the new Bassini X pipe with hiflow CATs and the catback exhaust, also hiflow. It sounds incredible!! :D VERY LOUD though!! I like it, but some of you might think it is too loud?..

Then, today I brought it to them again for a chip upgrade...and it dyno'd with the following numbers at the back wheels... is this about right? has anyone else dyno'd their car with the same upgrade and obtained about these same numbers? just wondering???

369 HP

374 lb./ft. torque

He said he could have tuned even more to get about 10 or so more HP but it would have resulted in too much engine pinging, especially at high speeds. Overall, I am very satisfied with the results. The car is noticably more powerful (more grunt!!) on the low end and you can tell it is breathing alot better now.

I plan on doing the following in the next week or two...

1) change the gears from 3.55 to 4.10's!!

2) install the knuckle recall parts

3) install a Kenny Brown diff cooler

4) install some gauges

5) install a roll cage

6) and last but not least, some new rubber

Then..... I will be ready to take her to the track and let her wail!!!! :D

svtguy

Established Member
Andy, I dyno'd my R last sunday. I have the bassani non cat off road x pipe, bassani cat back and a chip tuned for that combo using 92 octane gas. It made 374 rear wheel horse power. I was told the non cat off road x pipe would make approx 5hp more that the bassani hi flow cat x pipe. So, it sounds like our cars are making the same hp numbers.

Paul.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by svtguy
Andy, I dyno'd my R last sunday. I have the bassani non cat off road x pipe, bassani cat back and a chip tuned for that combo using 92 octane gas. It made 374 rear wheel horse power. I was told the non cat off road x pipe would make approx 5hp more that the bassani hi flow cat x pipe. So, it sounds like our cars are making the same hp numbers.

Paul.

Paul,
Was that with my chip? You guys should be satisfied with those numbers. :)

svtguy

Established Member
Brian, yes it was with you're chip set on the # 1 position.

Paul

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by svtguy

Paul.
Paul,

I assume the off road X pipe results in some pretty substantial decibel increases, huh?? Is it very much louder? I also assume you do not drive your R on the street??

svtguy

Established Member
Andy, It is not quite exhaust. I do not know how much louder it is over the hi flow bassani cat x pipe. I will have to compare it to the other R's at the sept RA event.

HELL YES, I drive it on the street. I even have a second set of factory R wheels and bridgestone potenza's that are used for street driving. I use the original wheels and tires just for the track events.

Paul.

Andy M

Established Member
Paul,

How do you like the Potenza's? I assume S02 or S03 ?? Do they work well for street driving?

I was thinking of getting another set of rims and putting Hoozier slicks for track use and then just using the stock BFG's for street use?

thoughts/comments on this? I suppose these tires are a bit sticky though just for street use? Certainly not a very good wear factor? But, they sure are cool?!!! :D

svtguy

Established Member
Andy, oop's, the the tires I'm using for street use are bridgestone expedia S01's, not potenza's. They are a harder rubber compound tire. Much better for street use. Not "grabby" on uneven pavement and don't pick up every little rock in the road and send it into the tirewell to nick up the paint.

Paul.

Andy M

Established Member
Paul,

I think I will order a second set of rims and have them come with some sort of good street tire... I have been real happy with my Michelin Pilot Sports on my M5... so, I may go with something like that? or maybe Nittos? There are several options available.

What size are you using for the street tires? Is it possible to go with 275's instead of 265's ?? there are many more different available tires in that size??

svtguy

Established Member
Andy, my street tires are the stock size, 265/40/18. I don't know how well the larger tire sizes work on our R's, when installing larger tires, I think the fronts may start rubbing during hard corner braking.

Paul.

JoeJ

Established Member
Tires

Andy,

The 275/40x18 tires will rub on the front fender well. The 275/35x18 tires work ok. However, as they are smaller in dia, your speedometer well be off a bit. At 6500 rpm in fourth gear, you will run 143.5 mph with the 265/40 x 18 and 139.3 mph with the 275/35x18.

It you go to 4.10 gears you will run 120.6 at 6500 rpm with the 275/35x18 in fourth gear and 150.8 mph in 5th gear. I really think that is fast enough for most road courses.

I will e-mail you an excel program which you can plug in tires sizes and it will calculate all the speeds at various RPM's with various rear end ratios.

Later,

Andy M

Established Member
Thanks Joe and Paul.

I have decided to move forward with the 4.10 gears. My car is scheduled to go to Texan Ford next week to get the knuckle recall fixed. I would have preferred to NOT have a Ford dealer do the work, but they would not give me the parts. So, I have no choice but to bring it to them and let them do it.

Then week after next I will bring it to Houston Performance for the 4.10 gears and the Kenny Brown diff cooler. Then, I need to schedule some time to bring it to Kenny Bumbera for the front end facia reinforcements.

then.... she will be ready for a romp at TWS!!!! :D

I will look into the 265 tires, same as the stocks...to avoid the possible rubbing.

Andy M

Established Member
Re: Tires

Originally posted by JoeJ
I will e-mail you an excel program which you can plug in tires sizes and it will calculate all the speeds at various RPM's with various rear end ratios.

Later,
Joe, that would be great! pls email it to [email protected].

Thanks again!

Hope you guys have fun at RA next week! Wish I could go? :sad

Cobra-R

Established Member
Andy,
I hope you have marked it on your calender to join us at RA next year. :) You will have fun. :)

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread