Dyno numbers not happy

Stanger00

Established Member
So what do I do at this point and what do you mean by ricer math. What is a hot tune ??? Is it something I'm doing wrong or is it the tuner.Should I be concerned should I go to another tuner

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Ricer math is a person who buys stuff out of a catalog that says this part will add 10hp, buys another part that will add 15hp and then another part that adds 20hp. Then they go and dyno tune and only see an increase of 5hp and they get mad because their 'ricer' math didn't add up in the real world.

I'd go back and request a safe tune for around town driving and use the hot tune for track purposes or when you have fresh gas in the tank.

A hot tune is one that is volatile. One that is pretty lean on fuel and high in timing.

Again, call the guy and let him know that you like the tune but you would like one that is safer for around town driving and get on the books for another tune. If he asks for more money then go to another place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
I have emailed him with no response as of yet I wouldent consider going from 3.47 to 3.33 pulley and seeing an increase in boost be ricer math I'd expect it to yield real world gains
Am I wrong ?
I wasent looking for a 100 hp improvement maybe 25 30 increase at most with same afr

Zemedici

Established Member
stop with the shit flinging, Lidio is a VERY Talented tuner, and wouldn't steer the man wrong. I know him personally.

OP, how does the car DRIVE? We can argue dyno numbers all day long, but in the end its just a tool used to get similar conditions for tuning.

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
stop with the shit flinging, Lidio is a VERY Talented tuner, and wouldn't steer the man wrong. I know him personally.

OP, how does the car DRIVE? We can argue dyno numbers all day long, but in the end its just a tool used to get similar conditions for tuning.
Lidio is a great guy I drive a hour to have him tune the only reason I even started questioning things was because I had a check engine light and 5 codes come up and it made me really look at everything

It drives great with drag radials I lose traction in the upper rpms in 1st sometimes it smells really rich at idle and maybe a slight misfire

Zemedici

Established Member
Lidio is a great guy I drive a hour to have him tune the only reason I even started questioning things was because I had a check engine light and 5 codes come up and it made me really look at everything

It drives great with drag radials I lose traction in the upper rpms in 1st sometimes it smells really rich at idle and maybe a slight misfire

Have you brought these issues to Lidio’s attention?

Stanger00

Established Member
I have emailed him with no response as of yet I wouldent consider going from 3.47 to 3.33 pulley and seeing an increase in boost be ricer math I'd expect it to yield real world gains
Am I wrong ?
I wasent looking for a 100 hp improvement maybe 25 30 increase at most with same afr

No, I agree with you. 2psi of boost should be good for 20hp at least. Given that with the lean fuel and probably bump in timing should of netted closer to 30hp, not 16hp.

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
No, I agree with you. 2psi of boost should be good for 20hp at least. Given that with the lean fuel and probably bump in timing should of netted closer to 30hp, not 16hp.

I'm wondering if he is being conservative on the timing as I'm on stock internals with 90k

Stanger00

Established Member

Given the information, no shit was flung. Legitimate statements based on what is provided.

Dyno sheet shows a hot tune, IMO. I wouldn't drive a 10psi boosted stock short block car with 13-13.5 AFR.

The email reply said that some mods don't add power as advertised because of variable factors.

I generalized that as him telling OP why his expectations weren't met.

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
i thought it was 13.6 at 7 psi so I emailed him about it i think I read the graph wrong
His response
Your car did not leave my Dyno with that lean of an A/F at that boost level... I just opened up your last Dyno run from a few months ago and the A/F was in the low 12's and working its way even richer as it approached higher RPMs and boost rising.

Something has gone wrong with your car is about all I can say at this time,,, fuel pressure,, injector,,, etc.. Not sure with out a closer look but something isn't right any longer or deteriorated after I seen it last. This is all providing that your getting a proper A/F reading on whatever your using to watch it?
Second response after highlighting the area in red
That's not a problem where you marked it.. That MAX reading you see there does not correlate with the area or part of the line your looking at,, that spot is about mid to low 12's and it totally fine there. I would not have let it go if I thought it was not safe at that time.

Stanger00

Established Member
i thought it was 13.6 at 7 psi so I emailed him about it i think I read the graph wrong
His response
Your car did not leave my Dyno with that lean of an A/F at that boost level... I just opened up your last Dyno run from a few months ago and the A/F was in the low 12's and working its way even richer as it approached higher RPMs and boost rising.

Something has gone wrong with your car is about all I can say at this time,,, fuel pressure,, injector,,, etc.. Not sure with out a closer look but something isn't right any longer or deteriorated after I seen it last. This is all providing that your getting a proper A/F reading on whatever your using to watch it?
Second response after highlighting the area in red
That's not a problem where you marked it.. That MAX reading you see there does not correlate with the area or part of the line your looking at,, that spot is about mid to low 12's and it totally fine there. I would not have let it go if I thought it was not safe at that time.

This makes sense.

To be clear he should know you're going off of dyno sheets unless you do have an A/F meter with a good sensor and is installed to get a good reading.

This is me making an assumption but he could of gave you the dyno readings with the best HP/TQ but very lean A/F reading and in reality gave you a safe tune.

Stanger00

Established Member
So the dyno sheets are not what it actually has hp/tq wise

Read the email he sent you that you posted.

He replied that he opened your last dyno sheet and it left with A/F in low 12's and toward the top end it went below 12.

Looking at the printout you posted you have spikes in the 13 range and it goes down to low 12's around 6k rpms.

I suggest getting on the phone and not second guess what he's saying and what I'm saying.

If your car isn't running right. Then get it checked out.

Zemedici

Established Member
Read the email he sent you that you posted.

He replied that he opened your last dyno sheet and it left with A/F in low 12's and toward the top end it went below 12.

Looking at the printout you posted you have spikes in the 13 range and it goes down to low 12's around 6k rpms.

I suggest getting on the phone and not second guess what he's saying and what I'm saying.

If your car isn't running right. Then get it checked out.

This.

Just call Lidio. Shit can get misconstrued in email very easily.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

I'm quoting your past post:
"And the reason I may have run it leaner this year then last time is simply because I may have made the assessment that I could get away with a leaner mix (makes more power) once I realized that over all boost wasn’t crazy high and it is intrcooled too."
Is this coming from your mouth or the tuner? ^^^^

I agree Lidio has been tuning Fords for a long time...I can't see him saying the above^

SaTxGT500

Established Member
If your not happy or confident in your vehicles performance, take the car to get a second opinion. Go to another solid tuner and let him build you a new tune. See if it yields better results. If not put the first tune back on the car. I'd personally put a solid a/f gauge on the car, see how she runs off the dyno. The dyno graphs looked very solid, near identical curves through the rpm range.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lots of choices out there... def get second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread