Dye an FR500 steering wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
As most of you know, the FR500 steering wheel is a nice quality steering wheel that feels as good as it looks. Unfortunately, it only comes in black leather. So what if your car doesn't have a black interior, however, you're one of those people (like me) who actually likes his/her other-than-black interior? You buy the steering wheel and dye the damn thing!

What you will need:
FR500 steering wheel (of course)
Leather dye/recoloring kit
Paint spray gun (optional, but recommended)
Patience

I used this leather dye/recoloring kit from leatherworldtech.com. The standard kit comes with everything you need, and more than enough dye for the job.
Here is a list of all available colors to match all Ford/Lincoln/Mercury interior colors. I have a 1995 Cobra with saddle interior, so I purchased kit #6873, and it matches perfectly.

The contents of the dye/recoloring kit includes a scuff pad, instructions, latex/rubber gloves, leather prep/cleaning solution, leather dye, and leather protectant cream.
DSCN0843.gif

Step 1: First start with cleaning the wheel with the provided prep/cleaner.
Step 2: Use the scuff pad on the wheel. The instructions direct that you do not scratch the leather, so only apply light pressure with the scuff pad.
Step 3: Hit up the wheel again with the cleaner and let air dry for ten to fifteen minutes.
Step 4: You may begin recoloring the wheel once the previous steps are complete (just thought I would clarify in case anyone here is unable to count :D).

A word of advice: I started the recoloring using the provided applicator sponge. I would not recommend this as it left unsightly streaks in the texture of the dye. The dye CAN be sprayed as per leatherworldtech, so that is what I would recommend. My car is currently in the body shop, so I had them finish up the wheel for me. As a result, I can't say exactly what kind of spray gun was used.

You must allow the dye to dry for at least one hour between coats. You can hurry along the curing process with a hair dryer if you wish. The instructions recommend that the dryer be held at a 30° angle to and 12-18" from the surface being recolored.

The instructions do not specify any amount of time which must pass before application of the protectant cream, so test on a small area for color fastness before applying it to the entire wheel. Allow to dry for one half-hour once applied.

And you're done!
DSCN0900.gif

The car will be done next week, so I have yet to install the wheel.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Congrats, you the first to have done this that I know of, with awsome results...

Pushrodsnake

Back in Black
Established Member
This car isn't my daily, so whatever wear I get with it probably won't be indicative of what you would be likely to see on a daily driver. Nevertheless, I'll be sure to update this as things unfold. I hope it holds up! :)

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
How well has the dye held up to handling/driving? I'm very interested in doing this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread