During Dyno pulls is it normal to....

moncho

Established Member
During dyno pulls is it normal for dyno operators to take the car to it's RPM limiter? Also, when hitting the RPM limiter and fuel is cut off is it typical to see some white smoke in the exhaust is this pretty much normal? Is there any concern of any engine damage when this is done? The A/F readings which were taking from the exhaust were in the mid to upper 10's while in WOT. Car is bone stock.

Cheers,
Ray

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
A lot of operators do it. My car never seen the limiter on the dyno. A lot of the experienced tuners know where the redline is and just don't touch it. There are RPMs that you don't want to push the stock bottom end past. It's not good because there are crazy harmonics going on in the engine. Specially when cyclinders are cut out and come back in. Just ask the guy when his car when BLAP, BLAP, BLAP.

moncho

Established Member
dirty - Thanks for the information. Don't think I'll subject the car to this again.

Cheers,
Moncho

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Cool thing about my dyno tuner was he let me run the car while he tuned it. That way we would rev it up to where I felt comfortable.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Moncho it's your car so remember if you want the dyno pull cut off at a certain rpm's then be sure and tell them that.

Same with back to back dyno pulls. No way I let anyone do that to my car! Cool it down properly and then we make another pull.

The dyno pulls should be done with your car at optimum running conditions in my opinion. If that means letting it sit to get it cooled off then make them let it sit.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
A good tuner, IMHO, will not hit it. If they kiss it that's ok, but if they slam it, that's not a good thing IMO

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Moncho it's your car so remember if you want the dyno pull cut off at a certain rpm's then be sure and tell them that.

Same with back to back dyno pulls. No way I let anyone do that to my car! Cool it down properly and then we make another pull.

The dyno pulls should be done with your car at optimum running conditions in my opinion. If that means letting it sit to get it cooled off then make them let it sit.

This ^^^ you don't want to tune the car if it's pulling timing. Proper cool down between pulls is essential for a good tune.

moncho

Established Member
I had 2 pulls that day, the 1st I requested that the rev's not exceed 6k. However, on the second pull he asked to hit the limit and I reluctantly nodded with the go ahead. To the best of my knowledge all is well as I've been driving it without notice of anything wrong. The exhaust looks and sounds good, power seems fine as well. Going forward I'll always request the pull doesn't go over 6k.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread, really appreciate that!

Cheers,
Ray

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Alot of stock tachs are off a few hundred rpm at that level. I know my car is off 2-300 at mid 6000 range. Bumped it a few times before i got a shift light and noticed how much it was off. Now saying that, on the dyno if they aren't aware if your cars tach is slightly off it may get bumped. Every dyno I have been on the op asked where i want it reved too.

Users who are viewing this thread