Duramax guys - need some help

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've been digging around on various forums and I haven't been able to find a reliable answer.

2015 2500 HD LML CC LB, stock aside from an SB intake and an edge monitor (no tune).

This morning I started the truck, made 2 turns out of the neighborhood and the StabiliTrak flashed and the truck dinged at me.

Drove up the road for a while, made another turn, truck dinged at me and flashed StabiliTrak. Got on the highway and after a mile or so it started dinging faster and flashing faster but intermittently. After maybe 5 miles it just stayed on "Service StabiliTrak" and the ESC and ABS lights are on.

After getting off the highway, I checked codes with my CTS3, which shows nothing. Hit "clear codes" anyway and it removed it from the dash for like a mile before it started intermittently popping up and eventually stayed on again. While I was on the throttle lightly and hit a small bump, the TC light flashed and the truck pulled power. But other than that, it's business as usual.

Because I'm no where near home, I don't have many tools, so I'm limited in what I can check.

Visual inspection seems fine on wheel speed sensors wires. Battery cables are tight, drinkers side negative has some corrosion but the truck starts without issue and the dash light suggests it has 14v. Brake lights are not stuck on, and functioning.

Is there a way to diag wheel speed sensors without taking it to the dealer? I'm sure they will charge me an hour and a half, it's cheaper to put 4 sensors in it.

To make everything more fun we are supposed to get like 12-24" of snow tomorrow lol.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
How old are the batteries, sounds like its a battery issue.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
How old are the batteries, sounds like its a battery issue.
About 3 years old if I remember right.

It's noticeably slower cranking when it's cold (like sub 0) but that's typical. In the 30s or so it cranks just fine.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

It's noticeably slower cranking when it's cold (like sub 0) but that's typical. In the 30s or so it cranks just fine.

3 years old in tough weather conditions can take a toll on batteries. Where you able to clean the corrosion off and check the water level of the batteries?

If possible id go to a O'Reilly or auto zone, ect and have the batteries checked.

With that much snow i would not want to be stuck in it.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Clean the corrosion and disconnect the batteries for a half an hour. Do you have a multimeter to test the batteries?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
3 years old in tough weather conditions can take a toll on batteries. Where you able to clean the corrosion off and check the water level of the batteries?

If possible id go to a O'Reilly or auto zone, ect and have the batteries checked.

With that much snow i would not want to be stuck in it.

I might swing by Advance since it's right near the office and see if they can check them. I didn't clean the battery but I'll do that when I get home. If she fails on either I'll order a set of Interstates from Costco.

Clean the corrosion and disconnect the batteries for a half an hour. Do you have a multimeter to test the batteries?

I have a meter at home but no way to put a load on it. I'll have that done after work.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I might swing by Advance since it's right near the office and see if they can check them. I didn't clean the battery but I'll do that when I get home. If she fails on either I'll order a set of Interstates from Costco.

I have a meter at home but no way to put a load on it. I'll have that done after work.

Keep us posted

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Could be the steering wheel sensor as well. I found a suggestion if you have Nav, put it in reverse and see if the guidelines move when you turn the steering wheel, if not then likely a bad steering sensor.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Could be the steering wheel sensor as well. I found a suggestion if you have Nav, put it in reverse and see if the guidelines move when you turn the steering wheel, if not then likely a bad steering sensor.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't have nav but I'll keep that in mind.

My buddy who runs Landrover service said one of his techs was a Chevy tech for a while. He mentioned the negative battery cable, I guess they are super common. It's not common for them to have wheel speed sensors go out.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I think you'll need a decent scanner that does more than ECM. Need one that can do ABS, ect. Kind of related, my 02 Ford Ranger would constantly kick the ABS at slow speeds and pull to one side in the front. I figured it was wheel sensor issues, so I went ahead and replaced the opposite side wheel bearing. It comes with the sensor. Fixed the issue.

On my 05 Vette, when my batteries would be getting weak it would trigger issues in the stability system.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Batteries tested very well, higher than they are rated (weirdly). I cleaned the one terminal that was a bit corroded, it was making good connection, just had corrosion on the outside of it.

I got down and checked each wheel speed sensor and none of them had any chaffing or anything, they are still plugged in well.

Issue is still there, I'm going to need to have someone scan it which I'll probably do later this week.

It snowed like 24" and it's heavy as ****. Can't go anywhere because the one road in and out of my subdivision has 5 cars blocking it and there is currently a half ton dodge stuck in front of my house lol.

smitty2919

Established Member
If wheel speed sensor is suspect, look for corrosion on the hub that has built up under the head of the sensor. As rust builds up, it lifts the sensor away from the wheel bearing reluctor wheel and can cause issues.

On my '03 2500 HD 2WD gas truck I had an issue with ABS kicking on/off coming to a stop under 5mph...sketchy stuff. For my truck it was a simple allen head bolt holding the sensor on but you need to remove brakes/rotor to get to it.

If your 2015 is a similar hub design I'd check for that as a potential simple fix. You can replace the sensors and sand the hub carefully not to change the mounting surface too much for the new sensor, or sometimes I'd best to just replace the whole wheel bearing+sensor together.

But with limited tools and ability to work on it outside, may be worth having someone scan it and pinpoint the issue. A good scanner SHOULD be able to see the oscillations of the sensor picking up the reluctor wheel. Or you can look up how to test for continuity through the sensor with a voltmeter.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If wheel speed sensor is suspect, look for corrosion on the hub that has built up under the head of the sensor. As rust builds up, it lifts the sensor away from the wheel bearing reluctor wheel and can cause issues.

On my '03 2500 HD 2WD gas truck I had an issue with ABS kicking on/off coming to a stop under 5mph...sketchy stuff. For my truck it was a simple allen head bolt holding the sensor on but you need to remove brakes/rotor to get to it.

If your 2015 is a similar hub design I'd check for that as a potential simple fix. You can replace the sensors and sand the hub carefully not to change the mounting surface too much for the new sensor, or sometimes I'd best to just replace the whole wheel bearing+sensor together.

But with limited tools and ability to work on it outside, may be worth having someone scan it and pinpoint the issue. A good scanner SHOULD be able to see the oscillations of the sensor picking up the reluctor wheel. Or you can look up how to test for continuity through the sensor with a voltmeter.
I ran over to my buddy's dealership and he had one of his techs scan it, truck is stating a left rear wheel speed sensor, I haven't done anything to it as we keep getting snow and I'm headed out of town later today.

I'll pull it apart when I get back and try cleaning and replacing it. They are $25 it looks like, I can't see any damage from stuffing my head behind the wheel and following the wiring. We also generally don't get a ton of rust out here but Colorado did start using a mixture of salt and mag chloride on the roads.

I appreciate the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread