Dumb (newbie) question

2001LaserRed

Established Member
If I install a cold air induction system, does that obviate the need for a K&N air filter, or will I still need one?

For my first mod's, I'm considering exhaust, cold air induction, and as soon as they come out for the '01, under drive pulleys. Sound like a decent plan?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

quick99snake

Established Member
a cold air induction kit should include a filter (at least a good one will).
as far as the exhaust, if your cobra is other wise stock, all an aftermarket exhaust will do for you is change the sound, the stock mufflers flow very well. i put flows on mine only so it would be louder.
and for pullies, wouldn't the pullies for the 99 be the same as for the '01, since it's the same engine?

2001LaserRed

Established Member
Not sure about the pullies, but I'm sure I can ask before I get them. As for the exhaust, I too want better sound -- not expecting any HP gain.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

quick99snake

Established Member
no prob. i'll be looking at pullies in the near future also. i hear on near stock 99 cobras, you can get as much as 7-8 rwhp. i can handle that for 160 bucks and a couple hours' work.

REDLYNE

Established Member
I will address all your concerns...

1. Steeda Pulleys will fit the 99 AND UP cobras. Same engine folks.
Also, they have added as much as 8-10 rwhp. :) They're on my list too.

2. Changing the CAT-BACK exhaust (mufflers, tail-pipes....you know, everything from the catalytic converters back) will chaneg your sound and do little for performance. However, intermediate exhaust...h-pipe, x-pipe, etc....regardless of whether they have high-flow cats or no cats at all...WILL INCREASE PERFROMANCE. Bassani X-pipes (with high flow cats) have added approx. 12 rwhp to your peak rwhp and as much as 15rwhp along the upper part of the curve. X-pipes with no cats add a little more....and h-pipes with no cats add a little more still. Personally, I wanted to stay emissions legal...that's whay I have cats...not worth failing emisssion for 2 or 3 more rwhp...IMHO.

Wait until you get the stock H-pipe (whihc has 4 HUGE cats) off....its obvious just from looks that aftermarket intermediate pipes add power. They are lighter, bigger, and have only two (if any) cats....and they are HIGH-FLOW cats....

3. Most (if not all) Cold Air Induction kits come with K&N (or K&N take-off) air filters.

4. You can get the stainless steel bumper inserts here: http://www.stainlessbumperletters.com/ and even though they don't have any cobra letters labeled "99 and up"...I know several people that got the "96 and up" letters to fit to the 00-01 cobra bumpers with just slight fitting problems on 1 or 2 letters.

Also, here's a picture of the bumper inserts on a white 99 cobra: http://www.melkins.com/pics/cobra-bumper.html See? They look like they fit to me!!

Later......:rolling:

REDLYNE

Established Member
One more thing...

BTW, even though I have not dynoed my car to show the increase...the best MPH I got (before the X-pipe) was 103.73mph.

Now, as you can see from my best ET in my sig...I have increased that to 104.64mph with the x-pipe being my only "power mod"....and that's with a horrible launch!!! If I had traction, and hence more time with the wheels on the track actually accelerating...I KNOW I can get into the 105's. :D

Users who are viewing this thread