Duel Relay Trans brake with a stock Converter: Before and After

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
So I finally got around to doing the trans Brake mod for our cars. I know most people that use them probably have aftermarket converters so I wanted to see the difference when using a stock converter. I have to thank Clinton2003 for helping me with this install. When it comes to electrical systems I am basically a monkey doing a math problem. The install took about 4.5 hours when all was said and done. Neither one of us had ever done this mod before and I wanted to make sure it was a clean install, all connections were soldered, and was completely hidden. Now that I have done it Im sure it would take a lot less time to do again. It looks a good amount more complex than it really is.

Everything fits perfectly in this little hole in the factory bumper support.
ebd00807-7e07-4e1d-8549-5658e83197f2_zps7c91cbe7.jpg

These are the 2 wires you cut from the harness and splice into. After we got everything connected we tapped everything back up and you would never know the harness was cut into.
IMAG1355_zps02c24494.jpg

Everything hooked up and ready to go.
IMAG1358_zps2f3ebe56.jpg

Once it was finished I took it out to test it. Stalling off the foot brake was giving me 1700rpm before the tires would spin. On the trans brake I am able to stall to 2300rpm and everything holds. The car does get off the line quicker now and picks up much faster as well. I will be up to the track next week to do some testing and see exactly how much this will help my 60' and overall 1/4 mile times.

4VFTW

Established Member
thanks for posting this Truebluedevil...I bought the relays and a Biondo TB button a few weeks back and have been holding off on doing the install. I see you have 2 red wires running across the core support to the drivers side out of the relays, seems like you should only need 1 wire to run to your trigger switch...whats the 2nd for?

Bud

Established Member
Stalling off the foot brake was giving me 1700rpm before the tires would spin. On the trans brake I am able to stall to 2300rpm and everything holds.

Havent people already found that there are no gains to be had on the stock converter?

600rpm higher launch point sounds like it would gain to me, unless it likes to flash instead. Thinking centri at altitude it would be better with the RPM though, will find out soon. Hopefully makes for more consistent lights too

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
thanks for posting this Truebluedevil...I bought the relays and a Biondo TB button a few weeks back and have been holding off on doing the install. I see you have 2 red wires running across the core support to the drivers side out of the relays, seems like you should only need 1 wire to run to your trigger switch...whats the 2nd for?

One red wire is inbound to the button, the other in outbound to the relay.

Havent people already found that there are no gains to be had on the stock converter?

I can say that it has made a difference. How much remains to be seen.

600rpm higher launch point sounds like it would gain to me, unless it likes to flash instead. Thinking centri at altitude it would be better with the RPM though, will find out soon. Hopefully makes for more consistent lights too

Agreed 100% Bud. Next Wednesday we will find out.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Nice man, I'm thinking about doing this too. What are your 1/4 mike times and 60' without this?

stangn

Established Member
Good to see non shop cars starting to do this mod. Now some real word info will begin to follow I hope.
Keep us informed and thanks.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Nice man, I'm thinking about doing this too. What are your 1/4 mike times and 60' without this?

Right now the car runs high 11.50 - low 11.60 very consistently with 60's in the 2.04-2.08 range. Im hoping I can get the 60' down into the mid-high 1.8 range on the stock converter.

Good to see non shop cars starting to do this mod. Now some real word info will begin to follow I hope.
Keep us informed and thanks.

I will post my results next week

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Right now the car runs high 11.50 - low 11.60 very consistently with 60's in the 2.04-2.08 range. Im hoping I can get the 60' down into the mid-high 1.8 range on the stock converter.

I will post my results next week

Dang... Is the track at a really high elevation?

Users who are viewing this thread