Ducktail nascar spoiler for 99-04 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcard

Established Member
I wanted to give this thread on my spoiler build a closing book end, so here's an update.

I decided to make a revision on my 99-04 spoiler. I made a fiberglass version that incorporates all of my new techniques of composite fabrication. This new version has a flat bottom section with hidden mounting points, and I focused extremely hard on getting the fitment perfect. I'm really happy about this new version, I'll be happy to see it on one of my cars. It is now a completely finished wing.

Built this wing by vacuum infusion, and it's actually almost as strong as my carbon parts. It looks good.

IMG_3041_zps3afc367d.jpg

IMG_3039_zps2321ba0c.jpg

IMG_3025_zps0ad87bf3.jpg

IMG_3033_zps8aa6c224.jpg

IMG_3030_zps1d544ccf.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsab5ec1c0.jpg

IMG_3022_zps228ee8b0.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsd4b62c97.jpg

IMG_3002_zpsc81c475f.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsf697b82f.jpg

IMG_2984_zps400b6b24.jpg

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I don't believe you could have done any better. That looks great and I cannot wait to see it painted also. Great job.

Wildcard

Established Member
Very nice, can't wait to see it painted.

I don't believe you could have done any better. That looks great and I cannot wait to see it painted also. Great job.

Can't wait to see that painted. :rockon:

Thanks a lot guys. Yah I can't wait to see it painted as well.

Love it man! I like that it covers the lock hole and smooths out the trunk area.

Thanks! Yah, I figured that with two other options to open the trunk (remote and glove box button) I could afford to lose the third option: the key hole.

I really like that wing! Any chance you could make some for 94-98?

Thanks, I made a 94-98 version. It's a few pages back.

Thats some serious talent

Thanks man, yah it took a lot of elbow grease, and lots of air tools.

That looks sick. Love the valance.

Thanks, yah I love the diffuser. It's functional and makes the car look stunning from behind. I love the new shorter version, which is just so much better than the previous design that I used to run (you can see the older version in earlier posts).

makes me want to buy a new ge just to put that spoiler on it lol

hahahaha! that's a hell of a compliment, thanks man!

to all you guys Cheers! :beer:

02trubluegt

Semper Fi
Established Member
Now the question is.... how much and when can i order a fiberglass one haha

eddy_v_

can I buy a duckbill spoiler from you???? youve done amazing work

I've been working on a ducktail spoiler for my car because I felt that it needed a slick back spoiler instead of the s351 spoiler that I had before. Plus my car now has wider fenders in the back, so the old spoiler looked small. I was planning to post this on the fabforums carbon site, but I figured that I post the progress here as well.

Here's the car that I building it for. (this pic was it without its: front end [hood and fenders are one piece--a stand in hood was used when it was shipped to the shop], it's roush body kit, and widebody quarter panels).

82f21d79.jpg

730d0f71.jpg

844c4a02.jpg

The final will be made out of carbon mainly because of its strength, and also because of its I have a lot of carbon in stock and it is the main material that I use in composites.

Right now, I just finished the plug. I'm going to be making a two part mold, and then make my carbon part by end of next week.

Here is my progress so far.

I first made a carbon copy of a wing and then cut it into pieces and started setting it to follow the mustang lines.

null_zpsbe3551de.jpg

null_zpsc683e426.jpg

and that thing in the background is my rear diffuser.

null_zps3ee2d6bf.jpg

null_zpsb63fc58b.jpg

I wanted a larger wing and not just a ducktail portion, so I took another wing I had in stock and harvested its posts and bottom section. I then meshed them together and started making a spoiler. I plan on having the key hole available and a rear light (led) on the wing, so I'm playing with how I want them.

null_zps416d66b7.jpg

null_zps21489846.jpg

I drive really fast so I needed something that would actually produce downforce, but also not be at such an angle that it would create too much drag. So the spoiler is at a 45 degree angle which is near the sweet spot of 50 degrees which gives a good mix of downforce and drag, and which is the degree that is run in nascar cup series.

null_zps7a8873e5.jpg

null_zpsa1b9d829.jpg

null_zps1cea9039.jpg

null_zps1efec01b.jpg

null_zpsa6240c5f-1_zps7efbf754.jpg

null_zps7db87adf.jpg

I worked on the final blending and shaping and today have started sealing the plug so that I can start making my mold.

null_zps84e89f4e.jpg

null_zps23345ac4.jpg

null_zps10f511aa.jpg

null_zps45dc889b.jpg

So I'll update this thoughtout the next steps as make my carbon wing, which will be painted black along with the rest of the car.

Can I bbuy a spoiler from you???

04mach17

Established Member
Please I please make only for a fox notch! There are no spoilers out for the fox coupes. Several people have been asking for years. I don't know where you are in Cali but you can use my trunk as a model to go off and I will buy the first one. If it turns out as good as your others of course!

Venomous 03

Established Member
I wanted to give this thread on my spoiler build a closing book end, so here's an update.

I decided to make a revision on my 99-04 spoiler. I made a fiberglass version that incorporates all of my new techniques of composite fabrication. This new version has a flat bottom section with hidden mounting points, and I focused extremely hard on getting the fitment perfect. I'm really happy about this new version, I'll be happy to see it on one of my cars. It is now a completely finished wing.

Built this wing by vacuum infusion, and it's actually almost as strong as my carbon parts. It looks good.

IMG_3041_zps3afc367d.jpg

IMG_3039_zps2321ba0c.jpg

IMG_3025_zps0ad87bf3.jpg

IMG_3033_zps8aa6c224.jpg

IMG_3030_zps1d544ccf.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsab5ec1c0.jpg

IMG_3022_zps228ee8b0.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsd4b62c97.jpg

IMG_3002_zpsc81c475f.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsf697b82f.jpg

IMG_2984_zps400b6b24.jpg

Where you the one with the TR front wide fenders and the matching front splitter?

cjuni

Established Member
Can you provide part number or info for your big brake set up, calipers (8p) and rotors? Just like you im a huge fan for the big brake kist and its the one thing i have yet to do on my car.....thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread