Dubai... has anyone been there?

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I have lived in Qatar, Oman (only stayed on base though), and Kuwait and have NEVER had any problems. I feel i am welcome wherever i go, hell i feel safer here then i did in the states. Its a shame you changed your vacation plans, Dubia would have been a nice vacation.

For those that are a open minded you can also check out Kuwait City, Kuwait, i seen quite a bit of the city, they have done a lot of rebuilding since the early 90's. LOTS of exotic cars in Kuwait.

Bahrain (island off of Qatar/Saudi), i hear the party scene there is great. Formula 1, Moto GP and Grand Prix races go through there as well i believe.

Doha, Qatar (i have lived here for a year and just singed another year contract). This place is alright, i wouldnt spend more then a couple days here. They have a new Moto GP race track and the city is real clean. I will be staying at the Ritz for new years.

I heard Dubai is really nice, there are like three people on SVTP: Fuelonempty, maze and some guy with just numbers as his screen name.

-Mike

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I just checked what it would cost to stay in that 6 Star Dream Hotel for 3 days in May around my B-Day, Right at 2 grand. :coolman:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Lightning LA said:
Mike K, do you have your Cobra there?

Nah, i really dont think it is worth it. Shipping it here, then shipping it back, all the sand and harsh weather.... no way. After next years contract i plan on going to Antarctica. I move around too much to keep a vehicle with me :)

-Mike

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
view from the Sheraton hotel, day then night. I have quite a few pictures of Doha.

gp_race_211.jpg

gp_race_148.jpg

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
I've been to Bahrain, awesome place but hhhhot as F**K (119 deg in the shade, very high humidity by the coast). As long as you don't make eye contact with the women, anyone who goes there should have a great time.

bossman429

Established Member
lol the safari is a 4x4 drive through the jungle at one of the ports.

I think I will visit the Middle east/dubai next yr perhaps. After im out of college and have a full time job

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Alright, sounds like my place to give a lil input...

Well yeah I live here, I study in Dubai.. I am kinda the guy to talk to when it comes to middle eastern countries.

Dubai is a gorgeous place and I wouldnt even think twice about coming here in anything, especially saftey. If you ask me, its probably safer than most places in the U.S. And alot of people WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT will agree with me.

To me the Burj is a cool place and all, I think I have stayed in all the hotels around this area... I mean you wont EVER be in a place like it in your entire life. But when it comes to the beauty and relaxation part of it, especially if your looking for romance, stay at the Mirage.. That hotel is breath taking. For real man.... I have been all over this freaking world and stayed at hotels everywhere, and the hotels in every place I have stayed dont even compare to the big ones here.

Dubai is basically a cleaner and newer version of europe and the U.S put together... You dont have anything to worry about, just dont have your woman walk around naked, and dont make an ass of yourself drunk in public.

Americans are treated really well here too, the U.S passport is treated with such respect that you can really do anything you want. The government wants to advertise this place as an amazing vacation and buisness spot to the U.S and try to break though all the moron ideas that the middle east is full of DANGER DA DA DAAAAA!! lol. its so not like that... People who do say that, have no idea what they are talking about, and its simple as that.

bossman429

Established Member
fuelonempty said:

Well yeah I live here, I study in Dubai.. I am kinda the guy to talk to when it comes to middle eastern countries.

Dubai is a gorgeous place and I wouldnt even think twice about coming here in anything, especially saftey. If you ask me, its probably safer than most places in the U.S. And alot of people WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT will agree with me.

To me the Burj is a cool place and all, I think I have stayed in all the hotels around this area... I mean you wont EVER be in a place like it in your entire life. But when it comes to the beauty and relaxation part of it, especially if your looking for romance, stay at the Mirage.. That hotel is breath taking. For real man.... I have been all over this freaking world and stayed at hotels everywhere, and the hotels in every place I have stayed dont even compare to the big ones here.

Dubai is basically a cleaner and newer version of europe and the U.S put together... You dont have anything to worry about, just dont have your woman walk around naked, and dont make an ass of yourself drunk in public.

Americans are treated really well here too, the U.S passport is treated with such respect that you can really do anything you want. The government wants to advertise this place as an amazing vacation and buisness spot to the U.S and try to break though all the moron ideas that the middle east is full of DANGER DA DA DAAAAA!! lol. its so not like that... People who do say that, have no idea what they are talking about, and its simple as that.

Thanks for the input man. I think I'll mark it as the next place to be. We decided to go with a more spring break kind of vacation this yr. But next time around I think we will be going to Dubai for a more cultural expierence. I really wanna see the world and i know now is the time to do it, not when im 30 something with kids. IM going to paris in Jan. with my school so that should be fun and a little different as well. I'll mark down the Mirage as the hotel to go to for when we do. Hopefully it will be within a yr from now!

Thanks man!

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I have no desire to go the M. E. for vacation. I've spent too much of my life there already and hate it. Nothing like high humidity and 120+ degree temps to make you grumpy. I've spent more time in Qatar this last year than at home with my wife so I'm a little jaded.

Lance

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
fuelonempty said:

I'm interested in doing a bit of "studying" in Dubai. I expect it's a relatively expensive place to live, but can you give me some idea of the school-related costs? Where do you study and what are your tuition costs like? Are you in on-campus or off-campus housing? What are the average, associated costs?

Appreciate your response.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Like I said before, I love this place with a serious passion. A main reason why I just bought a Lightning from Illinois and I'm planning to ship it Dubai (yeah Mike, I finally did it!!!!!! it was buckleupkiddies truck), because I have decided that I would want to spend a looong time here not like what I had originally planned when I first got here.

The tuition here is about $7200 a semester, which doesnt include housing. If you want my advise, the dorms are not the way to go here.. Its like a freakin minimum security prison, and everyone I know here doesnt really enjoy it.

Costs.. hmmm, hard to say, depends on how much you go out and where... There are ways to save money here, hotels rape when it comes to anything. But the atmosphere there makes it worth it.. Gas is cheaper than the U.S and we can leave it at that. Alcohol is a lil more expensive at bars and clubs than compared to the U.S. DRUGS IS OUT OF THE QUESTION HERE. But if you do come here I can get alcohol for really cheap, all depends on who you know.

For me, I go out to eat all the time (can't cook) live alone in a 3 bedroom apt in the marina freaking beatiful ($44,000 a year) I spend about 1500 dollars a month should be ok if your not a huge partier and dont go to hotels everytime you go out.

desert and random Dubai pics
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231126
my stay at the burj
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197709
a couple cars from my university
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217372

I have a ton more of the city if you guys want to see... Just lemmie know.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
fuelonempty said:
yeah Mike, I finally did it!!!!!! it was buckleupkiddies truck

:eek: Have you found a company to ship it yet? Let me know what it costs.

I just signed my second year contract, dont know if i am going to do a third or not. I have been looking into Raytheon down in Antarctica :) talk about going from one extreme to another.

-Mike

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Mike K said:
Why, what happens?
Usually nothing, but I shoulda clarified. Not all women are to be avoided like that, only the ones who are covered up completely. It's just disrespectful to stare at them is all. The same applies to all Muslim nations.

Coming from the Navy taught me and other sailors to show the utmost respect to all cultures, no matter how "strange" it may seem. It's one of the ways used to avoid international confrontations.

Users who are viewing this thread