Dual vs Single TB advantages?

cobrasvt57

Established Member
I know in an N/A application dual TB can help the engine reach volumetric efficiency. But in a boosted application would this advantage be nullified due to it not being naturally aspirated?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
PD blowers are still very sensitive to inlet restrictions… I could see where multiple smaller ones might offer some drivability benefits while making big power

Centri or turbo not so much

cobrasvt57

Established Member
So yea the setup will be a 1200rwhp twin turbo setup. You know how you see lambos , Ferrari and McLaren intakes and was wondering if it’d be worth the trouble designing a dual setup with my combo.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Those are only twin throttle bodies because that's how they come from the factory. At least all the ones I've seen have. There are plenty of 1200hp Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc running single throttle body set ups.

Run a properly sized throttle body and you'll be fine.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
If I’m having to design a new intake hat why not add another throttle body if I’m already there. If there isn’t any real benefit they wouldn’t have them but my question is how much of an advantage if there is one?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If I’m having to design a new intake hat why not add another throttle body if I’m already there. If there isn’t any real benefit they wouldn’t have them but my question is how much of an advantage if there is one?

OE's have a ton of concerns that the rest of us don't, sometimes the OE solution is the best compromise available.

I can see where trying to sync dual TBs with a cable would be a pain in the ass as well as idle air control and air around the butterflies.

with a turbo or centri the TB is far less of a restriction/issue vs an NA or PD car. Hell, I still run a stock, unported, mach1 TB at over 700 because everyone seems to agree that blowing past the stock unit is better than all the BS of the aftermarket ones for this intake.

you seem like you largely have your mind made up already so you do you

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you want the wow factor then go with the twin throttle bodies. But they're going to add complexity where it's really not needed. Think about the extra piping and then having to sync the throttlebodies as mentioned. The easiest way will probably be a stand alone that can run dual drive by wire set ups. I've seen some guys run dual MAF sensors as well should you go that route.

I imagine packaging comes into play for the OE's. It's a lot easier to get two low profile plenums then just one central plenum.

Let's be honest, 1200hp isn't all that crazy anymore. Especially with turbos. A friend of mine has an 1100hp Supra that still has room to grow.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
True but most guys with 1200whp only go straight and are one trick ponies. There lies the separation and truly I could pull more out of the combo when finished. But at what con. This will be a TRUE street car full weight,AC, able to poodle around on pump gas. I’ll be able to do the quarter mile, half mile and open track. The intake question for me is more of what setups I’ll need. how many 1200hp supras much less mustangs you’ll see on VIR pulling over a G in turns. Exactly

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
1200hp on pump gas? So you're building a big block?

As for how many, I don't know as I don't hang out at VIR. My buddy that's currently building something for Buttonwillow might have a better answer since that's his bag.

It sounds like you have your mind made up. Good luck with your journey.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
Lol no….. I see I’m going to have to start being a bit more specific with my words. 1200hp is will be E setup pump gas it’ll be below 1000hp. As far as big block not my flavor not to mention it’ll weigh as much as a house on the nose. Thanks for the well wishes but most know OUR cars are never done we just run out of time, money or interest in them.

Users who are viewing this thread