Dual Clutch

jgroce1985

Established Member
If this has been asked then let me apologize. I have a few questions. I've always been told that a lot of cars with dual clutches like the Lamborghini and GTR have short lives ..Usually around 15k miles, do you guys feel that we will run into the same problems with the shelby under normal driving circumstances. Also I notice the shelby shifts what I consider fairly hard when down shifting in auto mode. Do you think it's easier on the trans and clutches to drive the car in auto mode or manual mode. Do you guys also experience hard shifting when auto down shifting ...this is the first car I have ever driven with a dual clutch transmission, my Z06 was an auto and it didn't shift hard so not concerned just wondering...thanks again guys

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Are you driving in Track mode around town (in what you are calling auto mode)?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
My car downshifts pretty aggressively in Auto/sport mode, I actually like it though because it gives it the feel of a manual. If the DCT doesn't live past 15,000 miles its covered under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:

LostM

Established Member
The DCT logic in this car will adapt to your driving style. Where it starts at depends on which mod you are in, obviously normal will be more comfortable, then sport then track.

best suggestion is to set your MY Mode up as you see fit, and whenever you get into the car, press it.

Now you will notice if your out ripping around town WOT and overall being aggressive for 30+ minutes, then when you start to calm down on your way home etc, its still going to be rather aggressive, because it has learned to do so for you.

The inverse is also true

It will soften up the longer you are soft with it.

This is what the manual refers to as Live-In drive mode

gofast15

Established Member
Not sure who told you such of BS about DCT transmissions . The old single clutch transmissions had issues but the new DCT have lifetime clutches . There are many GTRs , Huracans , VWs , BMWs out there with over 100K miles on stock DCT

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If the DCT doesn't live past 15,000 miles its covered under warranty so I wouldn't worry too much.

I have no idea about the validity of 15k on a dct clutch pack but warranties don't cover wear items unless it's a defect. If 15k is the life of a clutch, you're paying for it.

jgroce1985

Established Member
I'm not concerned with who is paying or if I had to buy them I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the life of the clutches since other cars seem to wear out quickly....thanks for everyone's responses

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I'm not concerned with who is paying or if I had to buy them I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the life of the clutches since other cars seem to wear out quickly....thanks for everyone's responses

I'd assume Ford runs the same durability thresholds on this trans as they do on most others (Focus DCT debacle aside). Stock or mildly modded probably safely 100K+...but are you really gonna drive it for 100K miles? I know I wouldn't...

Users who are viewing this thread