DSS Install

Tim Comer

Established Member
Trying to install a Drive Shaft Shop shaft in the car. When I went to put the adapter plate in the rear, the cap screws seem too long. The shoulder bottoms out on the pinion flange before the cap even begins to go into the adapter ring. anybody know how long these cap bolts should be? Mine are 2 1/2" long with a 3/4" shoulder. Naturally, I find this out 15 minutes after DSS has closed. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about.
Suspension006_zps92c3645d.gif
Suspension005_zps2f5841cb.gif
Any ideas?

Last edited:

hand-filer

Established Member
They forgot to include the second set of screws. The longer of the two attach the driveshaft to the adapter. At least that's how I recall it when I was using a DSS shaft

Last edited:

Tim Comer

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I knew something was wrong. I wonder how long it will take them to send new ones? I live in a small town and I will never find grade 8 cap screws that are the right size. And I'll not put the old shaft in just to drive it. That was too much of a pain to get out by myself. Guess I'm stuck. Grrrr.

Tim Comer

Established Member
Just spoke to DSS. They wanted me to e-mail the pics I had of the adapter and bolts. They got back with me and said they are going to send the proper hardware to install the shaft. Since it's supposed to rain for the next week, I'll not be in any hurry to get the car out.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Hang in there, in the end it will be worth it. Remember, if it doesn't wanna fit the way your first try and install it, rotate the shaft 180 deg. and try again. It should bolt right in w/o any problem (esp with the right hardware!).

ajpturbo

Established Member
Hang in there, in the end it will be worth it. Remember, if it doesn't wanna fit the way your first try and install it, rotate the shaft 180 deg. and try again. It should bolt right in w/o any problem (esp with the right hardware!).

I ordered a carbon shaft and havent gotten it yet. I dont think it will say in the directions anything about rotating the shaft if it doesnt fit or if u have vibrations..the shafts are balanced by themselves not with the drivetrain so clocking the shaft will not make a difference

Last edited:

Tim Comer

Established Member
That was quick. Talked to DSS on Wednesday and got the bolts Friday. They sent both sets with lock washers. I don't remember seeing the washers on what few installation sites I found.

Last edited:

Tim Comer

Established Member
Got the shaft in and while on jackstands with no tires, took it up to 140 MPH with no vibration. The "gap" that you're supposed to measure is right on the ragged edge of 3-3/4". I hope it's alright.
Suspension_zpsc415bf2e.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread