• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

D's and Car Ownership as in You Won't For Your Own Good

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Weather Man, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Already see the protests in Germany for this.

Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang said the United States may have to eliminate private car ownership to combat climate change during MSNBC's climate forum at Georgetown University Thursday morning.

He told MSNBC host Ali Velshi that "we might not own our own cars" by 2050 to wean the United States economy off of fossil fuels, describing private car ownership as "really inefficient and bad for the environment." Privately owned cars would be replaced by a "constant roving fleet of electric cars."

A video posted by the GOP War Room shows Velshi asking Yang what measures he sees the world taking to fight climate change by 2050.

"You have this ability to envision the future, right, with your proposals on universal basic income. You've played the whole chess game out and you see what it looks like on the other end. Play the chess game out on climate change," Velshi said. "What does the world look like to you in 2050? What physically do you think we will do differently than we do today that will result in us fighting climate change?"

"Well I mentioned before that we might not own our own cars. Our current car ownership and usage model is really inefficient and bad for the environment," Yang said.

"You guys all probably agree with this because you're quite young," he told the Georgetown University crowd, adding an anecdote about driving a 1985 Honda Accord as a young man.

Yang then proposed an alternative to individuals owning their own cars.

"What we're really selling is not the car, it's mobility," he said. "So if you have mobility that's then tied into a much more, if you had like, for example, this constant roving fleet of electric cars that you would just order up, then you could diminish the impact of ground transportation on our environment very, very quickly."

Yang's climate plan calls for nearly $5 trillion in spending over the next 20 years. His proposal includes embracing the impacts of climate change.

"Move our people to higher ground. Natural disasters and other effects of climate change are already causing damage and death. We need to adapt our country to this new reality," his plan states.

The plan also includes a zero emissions standard for all new cars by 2030 and hundreds of billions of dollars in investments in emission-free ground and air transportation.

Yang enjoyed a recent polling bump and is now in fourth place in the California primary ahead of formerly "top-tier" candidate Sen. Kamala Harris (D., Calif.). "Must have been the crowdsurfing," he tweeted.

https://freebeacon.com/politics/yang...limate-change/

2. Bad500Chris

Bad500Chris Ace Established Member

While I’m not opposed to automated public vehicles (would be nice to have in big cities). Just remember that a politician can say whatever outlandish crazy idea they want if they know they aren’t going to get elected. It’s only when they get elected they have to try and implement these things.

3. 1 Alibi 2

1 Alibi 2 If not today, when ?????? Established Member

Trying to figure out what drug & the dosage needed to come up with stuff like this ?
    Does he have any idea how food get to his dinner table ??

lexustech48, 03Sssnake and me32 like this.
  4. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Electric semis?

5. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

There comming.

03Sssnake likes this.
  6. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

The left is hellbent on destroying everything they can that makes this country free.

lexustech48, jmsa540, me32 and 4 others like this.
  7. 03Sssnake

03Sssnake TK-421 Established Member Beer Money Bros.

yes they are.....that's precisely how they take control of the citizenry

me32 likes this.
  8. Blk04L

Blk04L . . . Premium Member Established Member

That's what happens when you are detached from the rest of America who doesn't live in big cities and only live 5 blocks from their work.

And just like that Yang killed the small chance of him ever being a serious runner.

lexustech48, Stroszek, T.Man and 2 others like this.
  9. Double"O"

Double"O" N2S come get some Established Member

*l aughs in uncatted prochamber w fr500

10. BrunotheBoxer

BrunotheBoxer Little Boy Blue - He needed the money. Established Member

Yang can stick a electric car right up his yangus.

11. 97desertCobra

97desertCobra Procharged! Established Member

It’s an interesting idea. It doesn’t sound like he is proposing a ban on private ownership, just a big voluntary shift from private to public. I see this being a reality with self driving cars. There won’t be a need for a lot of people to own a car especially those that live in or near the city. Don’t be surprised when insurance companies charge insane prices to drive your own car in a self driving car society either.

Energy wise, we will need a lot more energy to run these cars. Wish people were not so ignorant about nuclear energy. We need a lot more plants and we need to upgrade our existing plants.

Bad500Chris likes this.
  12. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

Not anytime soon. Maybe here and there.. but large scale no way

me32 likes this.
  13. 03Sssnake

definitely not for long haul trucking, no ****ing way.....probably just city routes at most.....

14. Dave M

Dave M Member Established Member

If we get off of oil, I wonder what they will make the electric cars tires, seats, lights, interior, etc. out of? And if I had to use a sharable electric car, I'd make sure I ripped the nastiest fart before I gave it to someone else.

15. RALPH R

RALPH R Active Member Established Member

v8's forever, b!

16. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

And not oil field lease roads

17. 03Sssnake

That is one way to get yourself killed, lol, drive an electric rig out on those roads....probably would go over like a union autoworker driving a jap car to any of the Big 3 plants in the 80s when the japs were kicking the US Auto Industry in the teeth.

18. tt335ci03cobra

tt335ci03cobra Well-Known Member Established Member

Slip. Slide. Slip. Slide.

The left is very simply

Lucifarians eating/erasing freedom totally.

19. Silverstrike

Silverstrike It's to big to move FAST! Established Member

Oh yes nothing like having it stripped, bashed front windshield and graffiti all over it before your 12 hour shift was over, This actually happen at Walton Hills stamping plant when one of the workers showed up in a brand new 1983 Civic hatchback. And Ford, the UAW or the Bedford Ohio cops have no idea who done it to this day. The worker was out of about $6,000 dollars for that stunt so he went and bought a LTD and he had nothing else happen, before he retired in 1990.

lexustech48 and 03Sssnake like this.
  20. 03Sssnake

LOL the Union reps and the cops probably supervised the shenanigans :D