Drummers of SVTP

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Always wanted to play the drums, but my mom was a **** about it. The idea hit me the other day and I bought a set today. Haven’t played an instrument in a very long time. Any place online that is a good resource to learn how to not piss my neighbors off with this thing?

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Drummer for about 20 yrs

If I can remember tomorrow I'll send you info on the books that helped me the most.

I've got an octagon rubber pad that is only audible if in the same room for practicing rudiments/sticking, I'll edit and add link if I can find it

They sell foam pads to go over the drumheads and cymbals if you want to practice on an acoustic kit. Side note, neighbors only complain if you suck and/or it's too late/too early.

Memorize the rudiments and be able to play them with either hand leading.

Learn jazz and latin/samba, if you can play jazz, latin, and samba, you can play anything. The greatest and most famous rock drummers of all time all have jazz backgrounds

*edit*
two other little tips that helped immensely
1 - scat (sing) the rhythms you want to play while playing, you'd be surprised what your body can do if you've got your mind and mouth leading the way
2 - it's called a kick drum for a reason, don't leave your heel on the ground and tap it with your toe, leave your toe connected to the pedal and drive the beater with your heel. This'll make quick double hits with your bass foot easier too. Quick double = stand on your tippy toe with toe on pedal, bring whole leg down (first hit), then bring your heel down and push your foot forward toward the drum head. You'll get a nice, quick, smooth, powerful bumBUM vs two weak thud thuds
*edit edit*
Good stick control starts with the grip. Thumb and index dominate the hold acting as a fulcrum, the rest of the fingers just rest on the stick for stick control. When you start getting into to doubles and triples, the last three fingers relax and control the rebound of the stick off the head. A little exercise to develop finger dexterity and forearm strength is to hold the stick upside-down; hold the bottom of the stick in the normal position you would with your index and thumb but have the tip of the stick toward your elbow instead of out away from your arm. For a minute at a time, only using your middle, ring, and pinky fingers, hit the stick against your forearm as quickly as you can for as long as you can.
*edit edit edit (I'm sorry, I could talk about this for hours)*
-Loud/hard doesn't equal good, dynamic control adds more depth
-when it comes to tuning, "let the drums breathe." Get the lugs barely hand tight, then tighten with a drum key just enough to get the waves out of the drum head. One of the worst sounds in the world is an overtightened drum

Last edited:

C2tuck

Established Member
I’m 95% self taught. I learned back in the day standing behind one of my dads friends kits and watching him play, so I guess an early version of live YouTube lol. Then just started listening to the notes in songs and replaying them myself. Practice, practice, practice as they say.

Don’t start out trying to play along with Rush or Breaking Benjamin either. First songs I actually learned were GnR November rain. It’s slow enough, and has easy fills.

What’s said about jazz is true. They are the ones that ALWAYS have different tempos going on every appendage.

C2tuck

Established Member
Always wanted to play the drums, but my mom was a **** about it. The idea hit me the other day and I bought a set today. Haven’t played an instrument in a very long time. Any place online that is a good resource to learn how to not piss my neighbors off with this thing?

Alright, c’mon with the pics of the new kit!

C2tuck

Established Member
I threw this pic up earlier in the cool office stuff thread. This is my 4th kit. Had two sets of Tama’s, a pearl, and these DW’s. I’ll probably upgrade again to another set of DW’s someday and get two rack toms and two floor toms. We’ll see, shit ain’t cheap.

de8a8a90b05b2d1ef069815d882b90f7.jpg

Last edited:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds exactly like my story. I've always wanted to play the drums, so about 8 months ago I bought a set from a long time friend that collects and plays drums.

I watched a few YouTube lessons and finally got the basic beat down, but that's about it. It took me awhile to disconnect my hands from my feet.

I'm thinking of getting some lessons in person, but wouldn't know who to call and whether they know what they're doing. Fortunately I've got a big shop and I don't have to be quiet.

Another thing I'm having trouble with is keeping a steady beat. I put a metronome on and found out I was all over the place. Anyway, maybe we need an svtp band.

Your government is lying to you

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s one of the things I was getting at. Obviously I can do a simple Google search and find random YT instructional videos. But I want to know which, if any are actually good. For instance I just googled “Mustang forum” and SVTP is not on the 1st page and there are some sites that I know are garbage as **** in the top 10 results.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Been through numerous kits, always resort back to my Roland electronic kit.
Feels good, plays amazing, no hassle of tuning heads.
Self taught, just played till I got it right.
Wish I had YouTube growing up!!!
Good luck, and stick with it.

C2tuck

Established Member
That’s one of the things I was getting at. Obviously I can do a simple Google search and find random YT instructional videos. But I want to know which, if any are actually good. For instance I just googled “Mustang forum” and SVTP is not on the 1st page and there are some sites that I know are garbage as **** in the top 10 results.

Like Boogieman said, get you a practice pad and go to town on rudiments. Paradiddles are one for instance that is used way more than most realize. Yes you can hit the drum with one hand and make the same rhythm, but not on two different drums, or on snare and kick etc.

Not gonna lie, I play by ear, I forgot how to read music and I have gone Youtube several times to figure out a fill or a roll.

Like has been said, it’s all about timing. Some people have it, some learn it, some unfortunately never do, so get the simple times down first on each limb, then start switching it up from there.

*Edit*

It also depends what your goals are. It’s just a hobby for me and nothing more. I’ve had several people hit me up to play in their bands, but I just have too many other things going on and can’t make that a priority. I’ve played in a few bands and it was a blast, but there is always someone or their GF bringing drama, and I don’t deal with bullshit very well.

My daughter works at a little outdoor venue in the Austin area that had Candlebox come thru last year. I was gonna do a meet and greet with them before the show, and my plan was to see if they’d let me play Far behind, as I’ve played it so much I could do it in my sleep. It’s just one of my go to songs because it’s fun to play. Anyway, the wife had to go out of town last minute and I wasn’t going to do it without her there. Hopefully they’ll come back this year.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Just ordered the rubber mute pack for the kit because I almost knocked on my door telling me to shut the **** up :ROFLMAO:

C2tuck

Established Member
Just ordered the rubber mute pack for the kit because I almost knocked on my door telling me to shut the **** up :ROFLMAO:

Lol.

Oh, and most heads that come on new kits are trash. Get some Evans or Remo heads. I’ve run both and prefer the Evans G2 coated heads for a dryer/darker sound. Their E-Mad bass head is badass and will make that kick drum thump hard.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member

Had this book since I started, I still go through through it occasionally. Play a whole page at once, use certain bars for fills on a beat, play the same bar over and over increasing tempo every run through, etc...

It was originally written for just a snare or a bass + snare but I take right hand accents and put that on a middle or low tom, left hand accents on high tom. Great for building your repertoire of fills

Users who are viewing this thread