Drove a new 05 today...

jedeyeben

Established Member
One word... WOW!

It was just a V-6, so not so much for punch, but man you can't even compare it to the an 04 v6 type mustang. I couldn't find anything that I didn't like or didn't see potential for great desgins when a new Cobra comes off the truck. It looked just plain sick! I can't wait to see what the Roushes and Saleens look like in person because the new body has such great lines. FORD is going to sell a ton of these things! Man! I still can't get over how nice it was. I love my Cobra, but I will definately be in line when the new ones hit:rockon: :bowdown:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I saw a black GT the other day and it looked pretty bad ass. I don't see it finding it's way into my garage, but great for all those 3 million others who will drive the V6 and GT versions.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I sat in one in the dealership yesterday while I was getting an oil change. The interior is better quality than ours and somewhat retro. The only thing I don't like is that the tach and spedo are in the bottom of deep wells and hard to see. I prefer more modern gauges.

TK Doom

Established Member
The outside of the new 05s are awesome, no question.

The inside is more plasticky than the 99-04s.

I use my for a daily driver and business, no way I could handle having the cell phone CLA hanging over my Alpine, if they would have simply put that someplace else, i might be driving an 05 GT instead of my new Mystic 04 Cobra.

HOWEVER, due to the fact that the 05's are WAY overpriced, that might of had something to do with it...

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I sat in an '05 Black GT the other day and was impressed with the interior. I have to agreee with "badboy" in that the interior is much better quality than ours but it doesn't take much to beat the plastic door panels and the dull dashboard. However, i'm not a fan of the retro gauges, you really have to look at them close to see your actual speed. You are seated much lower in the new Mustang. The new 5 speed shifter is perfectly positioned and felt great. The hood feels like it's just beneath eye-level in direct contrast to the seating position of the current Mustang. I didn't see the dash turned on or hear the stereo though as the salesman knew I wasn't really serious and I was the 50th person that day that asked him to see the car!

I love the front end of the car, it looks like a '67-68 FastBack with a hint of new edge makeover. From the side, the car is a showstopper! It has great lines and is immediately recognizable as a Mustang. It makes you look twice to be sure of what you are seeing! Now to the rear end, I don't care for the look of the new stang from the back. First thing that jumps out is seein' the tail pipes sticking out of the mufflers. It looks cheap and dare I say ricey. They should of tucked the muffs up underneath like the previous stangs. Finally I don't like the rims of the new stang. I don't understand what look they were going for maybe I'm missing something, and I also think the new tires are way too skinny! They are like 235s, smaller than my '02GT stock tires! Would of liked to see some deep dish Bullet wheels as standard equipment.

Overall I love the bold new look that Ford went for with the 2005 Mustang. The retro gamble is going to payoff. As for my small gripes, the skinny tires and blah wheels are easily remedied by new wheels/tires. And I'm sure the aftermarket will change the look of the tail pipes somehow, even yet I can live with them. Lastly I need to drive one to hail my final verdict. Talking to my friend that works at the Ford dealership, and owns an '03 Cobra, he said the new GT is strong! He said it will runover the previous GTs and run better than even the mighty Mach 1s! Of course I asked about our '03 Cobras and he laughed and said the Cobras are still on a different level. I can't wait to drive one. Imagine the potential of the specialty Mustangs (Mach, Shelby, Cobra) based on the 2005 Mustang platform! Not to menting, the aftermarket is going to have a ball with this car! We have alot to look forward to my fellow enthusiasts!

Thumbs up on the new Stang!
:rockon:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by badboy
I sat in one in the dealership yesterday while I was getting an oil change. The interior is better quality than ours and somewhat retro. The only thing I don't like is that the tach and spedo are in the bottom of deep wells and hard to see. I prefer more modern gauges.

What do you mean when you say "better quality". Could you elaborate?

If you mean't that it has a higher degree of material and design I think you are mistaken. From what I can tell the 05 Mustang has the same degree of "quality" found in a typical Detroit automobile in that price class.

In my "opinion" the 05 Mustang's dash board is rather gaudy with all the bright and brushed metal look and sharp edges. My 04 looks like an 04. The 05 takes it's styling ques from the 60's and 80's. I bet Ford will re-design that phunky looking dashboad in the very near future :xpl:

jedeyeben

Established Member
I was just so impressed with how well it drove, sounded and looked, for a 6er. Not to offend anyone, but you know how it is when you get into a v6 after driving something stronger and it is just like, "yeah it's a six". I just didn't have that feeling with this one. I drove it down the street and got on it a little going over the overpass and, man, it really just felt great. Handling seemed top notch, touchy but not to touchy.

Quiet too. Like, hey no rattle trap! Very low road noise. And I love the way that when you open the door the window goes down a quarter inch or so, then back up once the door is closed to fit into a slip over seal around it. That is a real quality feature if you want to keep the wind noise down as the car goes down the road. The only thing that I saw that could be missing, added or what ever way you want to look at it, was that with the new body length and wheel base there was just a little too much plain space between the back of the front wheelwell and the front of the door. It possibly could have used an emblem, small, not too gaudy but there. Like the GT has but maybe a small pony. IMO

I got a new Mustang Monthly with the redfire gt on the cover when I got home and thougth, wow I just took one like that for a drive. Kind of cool.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Cobra and have no intentions of getting rid of it anytime soon. I just can't wait to see what they come out with to take it to the next step as far as a Cobra, Shelby, Bullitt or what ever they do. The aftermarket and performance enthusiats are going to have a field day with this one. There is just SO much potential. :thumbsup:

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I sat in a red Gt at the local dealer.... Persdonally I loved the car... The interior was the best part IMO. However what is up with the mirrors? They are freakin truck mirrors, and the tires? They were 235/55/17's... Why the hell did they go smaller? a stock 96GT has bigger tires then the 05 GT. Makes no sence at all. I would have went 255/40/17. The shifter is pretty sweet! ALot better then the long stock shifter the current GT's have!... Overall the car was nice, I am sure they will only get better

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
i went and sat in a blac GT with red leather interior. I really liked it. the seats are comfortable and the dash and center colum are nice. i like the interior a lot better than the interior of my car.

Justin

ModMike1572

Established Member
I looked at one at my local dealership yesterday. the interior is really nice, but the outside look im not that crazy about, i dunno, maybe it will grow on me

Power Trip

Established Member
Originally posted by BigBeez03
Talking to my friend that works at the Ford dealership, and owns an '03 Cobra, he said the new GT is strong! He said it will runover the previous GTs and run better than even the mighty Mach 1s!

I find it hard to believe that the 3v gt is going to be faster then the current mach1 :shrug: If it is, then ill be very impressed, but the dyno testing 5.0 mag did comparing the 3v head to the 4v head didnt look to promising. I guess we'll see what happens.

WS.6 Man

Established Member
I got to see a new '05 Mustang GT Sonic Blue upclose yesterday. Very very sweet and nice car. The new Stang is a bit longer than the '94-04 models, but not huge. I really like the new one better than the '94 to '04 models. To be honest I liked my '98 GT as much as my '99, but I like the exterior of the '05 much more. Even my younger brother agrees.

The dealer only had one '05 Mustang GT in stock, parked outside, and it was locked. I was not able to sit inside, because I had to get to work, but looking inside the windows, I really liked the interior. I like the idea of the windows closing to seal better, my brother's 350Z does the same thing.

Just one question for you folks that got to sit one, does the doors make a clunk sound or a thump sound when you close them? For example my old Stangs, Trans Am, and my mom's 4 Runner, makes a clunking sound when closing the doors? On my brother's 350Z, parents Benz E430, dad's Lexus GS430, and even the new GTO it makes a thump sound when you close the doors.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by TK Doom

HOWEVER, due to the fact that the 05's are WAY overpriced, that might of had something to do with it...

I seem to recall when the 03/04 Cobra first came out they were priced at 36K plus a 3K limited availability charge + a 1K gas guzzler tax + state and local taxes which put them up in the 42K range...and just about everyone here bitched, moaned and growned about that and still went out and bought one.

Are all your memories just kind of short or do you guys always just pick and choose what you want to decry everytime something new and improved comes about?

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by WS.6 Man
Just one question for you folks that got to sit one, does the doors make a clunk sound or a thump sound when you close them? For example my old Stangs, Trans Am, and my mom's 4 Runner, makes a clunking sound when closing the doors? On my brother's 350Z, parents Benz E430, dad's Lexus GS430, and even the new GTO it makes a thump sound when you close the doors.

No closing the door on the 05 GT does not cause a clunk sound.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The only thing disappointing to me about the new GT is the performance #'s we're seeing. There was so much hype about how the new 3v was producing near Mach 1 numbers on the dyno. All the magazines that actually got to test one expected low 13 second #'s and wouldn't have been surprised at breaking into the 12's with minimal add ons. Yet, there is a thread somewhere here where a couple of 05 GT's were at the track. They acutally had video. They ran mid to low 14's. I'm not sure what trannys they were running...but regardless, they aren't performing like we were hoping. Still, it's the best looking Mustang since 1969 and may be the single best new car introduction in history. I love the car.

CobraKindaGuy...I think you have a new GT don't you? Have you had an opportunity to come up with any solid #'s for it yet?

FLBuckeye

Established Member
Saw a red v6 go by the other day, the front and sides are sharp looking, but after it went by....the back does kind of look like a Nissan 240 SX ? or somehting weird.

Still I'm sure the quality will be better with a new platform and better technology parts/production.
Anybody know any more of the
fine points ?
-Clunk ?
-Paint quality ?
-clock ?
-A/C gauges or climate control ?
-clutch feel ?

Thanks
THe mark-ups are pretty obnoxious considering that it is a buyer's market right now.....lots of different BRand/models '04's down here I've seen $500 to $1000 below invoice.
But I guess you gotta pay to play.
Love my '03.

Users who are viewing this thread