Dropping motor out the bottom????

Stalker27

Established Member
As some of you know I have to yank the motor due to blown head gaskests. I want to drop motor from the bottom but don't know if i can raise the car high enough without using a lift. Although I do have a cherry picker but don't think that would raise the body high enough to roll the motor/ k member out.

I know about a year or two ago someone did this to there cobra in there driveway and had the front of the car super high in the air but for the life of me I can't find that thread anywhere. 1st pic I think he was in the empty engine bay and the second pic was the motor and k member was sitting on a crate.

Any help of tips from anyone that have yanked it from the bottom?

SCMOKN

Established Member
Dropped mine out the bottom with a eng hoist. You have to lift it high.

Stalker27

Established Member
Dropped mine out the bottom with a eng hoist. You have to lift it high.

Yes I know, will your average cherry picker lift the car up high enough? Come on bro give me some details here lol I want to drop it down but making sure I can before I start anything

SCMOKN

Established Member
You can do it. I did mine by myself in the wee hours of the morning. Get a friend to help out it will go alot easier.

I had the front bumper off and ran 2 straps around the header panel. I had everthing disconected then lowered the car down and rested the K-member on a furniture style moving dolly. Then removed the 4 bolts holding the k-member then lifted the car.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Come on man, thats got to be the most ghetto shit I ever seen. Someone holding the front of the car with an ENGINE HOIST to drop the motor out the bottom.

Do it right, and pull it out the top ESPECIALLY if you have an engine hoist.

Also start using the search button all this will be covered somewhere.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
It really is super simple to take it out the top. Remove tranny, exhaust etc. Undo motor mounts, unhook all the crap off the front, just remove engine harness, radiator etc, take blower off, get an engine leveler and it comes right out....... simple, my first one alone took me 6 hrs

racebronco2

Established Member
On my car i left the hood on and removed the engine with the long tube headers connected along with the bellhousing. It's a tight fit but i have done it several times.

SCMOKN

Established Member
It was getting stripped no biggie! It just seemeed easier that way.Eng,tranny, and k-member out all at once.

Last edited:

YoungJim

Established Member
IIRC there is a thread in the how-to section with photos of a guy dropping his engine. He had it on top of two tires (stacked on their sides obviously) and lifted the car with a two-post hoist.

Jim

jimbob8915

Established Member
I have read alot of people say it is easier to drop it out the bottom but I have alot of experience taking motors out the traditional way. I would just do it the way you feel most comfortable. When it is all said and done everything that needs to be unbolted will need to be unbolted, out the top or from underneath. Personally I feel the the car with its front end still attached to it is safer.

SVT5.4L

Established Member
coming through the bottom just makes the job that much more involved. if you come through the top you just need to disconnect the trans, mounts, wiring, throttle linkages, AC, and some other lines. if you come through the bottom you'll have to unbolt the kmember, steering, brakes, etc. unless you're doing suspension work or replacing the kmember don't make the job any harder than it has to be?

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
coming through the bottom just makes the job that much more involved. if you come through the top you just need to disconnect the trans, mounts, wiring, throttle linkages, AC, and some other lines. if you come through the bottom you'll have to unbolt the kmember, steering, brakes, etc. unless you're doing suspension work or replacing the kmember don't make the job any harder than it has to be?

This just makes sense. I had been thinking it would be cool if i needed to pull it just drop out the bottom, but all of that suspension and brake stuff getting pulled too? Way more work to reassemble I think.

95PGTTech

Established Member
LOL @ the people who think it's faster/easier out the top. Anyone who does this for a living goes through the bottom, especially on LT cars.

black 10th vert

Established Member
LOL @ the people who think it's faster/easier out the top. Anyone who does this for a living goes through the bottom, especially on LT cars.

That may be true for someone that does it for a living AND owns a 2 post lift, but the op is not in that category, so it would be much easier AND safer to remove it from the top. I have a lift, but since it is a drive on, it would even be easier for me to pull it out the top. Plus as others have pointed out, why would you want to bother with disassembling suspension, steering, brake lines, etc. if you don't need to? The only way I would think that made sense was if you were changing out the k-member as an upgrade while doing the rest, or maybe installing longtubes, since it is easier with the k removed...

prostkr

Established Member
You bottom haters crack me up. You do not need to lift the car half as high as you have to lift the engine to get over the core support. The car without the engine weighs half of what the motor and trans do. Until you see it done lift or no lift you will never understand just how easy it is out the bottom.

And just for you Boosted.........

th_mustangproject002-10.jpg

cobra=trouble

Established Member
here at bottom in my build it was super simple ! took 4 hours start to unboting blower see. dont forget the power steering hoses lol

sassafras

Established Member
You bottom haters crack me up. You do not need to lift the car half as high as you have to lift the engine to get over the core support. The car without the engine weighs half of what the motor and trans do. Until you see it done lift or no lift you will never understand just how easy it is out the bottom.

And just for you Boosted.........

th_mustangproject002-10.jpg

Gah silly turbo owners, don't you know when you point your headers forward you actually go slower because the exhaust pushes you backwards :rolling::rolling:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
This just makes sense. I had been thinking it would be cool if i needed to pull it just drop out the bottom, but all of that suspension and brake stuff getting pulled too? Way more work to reassemble I think.
i didnt have to take my coil spring out look at the pic just unbolt the bottom bolts from the front shocks. hang brake calibers. no need to bleed brakes nor reinstall springs...check out build link ..
get a good used lift for 800 bucks .thats what i did. you dont even have to pull the radaitor.

Users who are viewing this thread