Driving advice.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Last year i did my first autocross. It was set up on a road course, using just some of the track. There was two straight aways that you would swerve through, various boxes to go in and out of etc.

I rode with a buddy the first round (he has an integra with coil overs and all kinds of stuff), to see what its like and get some tips. Worked out pretty well, I had really good times for having a heavy muscle car with just a couple things done :rockon:

As far as suspension mods go, i have H and R race springs, Bilstein HD shocks/struts and full length subs. Currently have 275 fuzion's on all four corners. With just these few things, I thought it handled it self really well. It was the first time i really got to use the springs what they were made for. The worst part is the GT seats (no support), esp since i have leather, I was getting thrown side to side like a rag doll.

I plan on doing a few this year so i have some questions.

The couple issues i had was in the sharp turns, if i carried to much speed into the corner it would push like a mofo. Literally I had the wheel turned and the tires would just slide.

How do I prepare for this situation and how to I correct it? Can i work the rear end some how?

What psi should I run the tires at?

Also, i went in ESP class ( i think) in the street tire catagory, right class?

What would be the next mods to help? I would like to kill to birds with one stone example, a set of lower control arms that would be good for drag and turns.

Thanks

Conechaser

Established Member
Sounds like the event at Midamerica Motorplex last year. That was a definate slolum heavy course. (what else do you do on very long but very narrow strip of asphalt)

First off would be to know what mods you have already done to make sure you are in the correct class. ESP street tire may or may not be the best place for you. Also, some of the "basic" Mustang mods can bump you up into the higher classes quite quickly. Get familiar with the rule book to see what you can and can't do in the lower classes. Remember, if the book doesn't say that you CAN do a mod... it's not legal for that class.

A harness would be a good option to get started. It will keep you planted in the seat so you can use your arms to drive the car instead of using them to keep you in the seat. You can even go as low budget as to get a long strap/belt and wrap it around you and the seat.

You kind of hit the nail on the head when you said you were going too fast for the corner and the car just pushed straight all while you had the wheels turned. Yep, they'll do that! Your tires can only do so much before they give up and slide. Sometimes you have to slow down to get thru the corners properly. There are places where you can drive fast and places where you have to drive slow. The hard part is knowing the difference. Unfortunately, that only comes with expirience.

My best suggestion is to not throw money at the car (unless it is a maintainance item) but use those dollars toward entry fees. Do as many events as you can to get seat time. The biggest modification that needs doing right now is to the driver. But think of it this way... that money spent will stay with you no matter what car you drive!

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
+1 on all of that.

Street tires can be very effective, but you can't load them all at once as in the case of jamming the brakes after coming into a turn too hot. If you are smoother and more gradual with the loading of the tires, you will find you can get more from them.

Head out to a Walmart or Target, and pick up some of that cheapo foam grid stuff they use for lining cabinet shelves. This stuff will keep you in the seat VERY effectively. I call it ghetto Recaros.. 3 bucks keeps you in the seat.

You still may want to consider a good harness or strap as whether you know it or not, you are using your arms not only for steering, but to hold you steady as well. You probably noticed muscle aches right where the pecks meet the shoulder....That is from holding yourself in.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
That was the main thing i learned and didnt do, was slam on the brakes. I used the brakes rarely, only when coming down full on and then having to turn. I used the gearing mostly.

If the tires did slide, i just let off the gas till it hooked back up and then got back on it. This push was really only an issue when say i was at the bottom of the course and had to go up top around a turn and go back down to the bottom, like a 180 degree turn lets say.

Other mods I have, is gears and exhaust....

I guess im not to worried about the classes, i will only do 1 or 2 per season if that. So limiting my mods to a certain class does not matter, im not going to do point season etc.

Seats go the same way, i really dont plan on modding the stock seats. Only thing I would ever do is get some real nice seats in the future....when i have money.....

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I'm tellin ya.....ghetto Recaro is the way to go.. ;)

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I know this is kind of an old thread but my $.01. Pretty much everything has already been touched on. If your just going to have fun do whatever mods you want.

As far as tire pressure, get some white liquid shoe polish and mark the edge of the tread and sidewall with dots (4 or 5 around each tire). You'll be able to see how much the tire is rolling over. Too much add some air, too little take some out.

David Hester

Established Member
Autocrossing Tips
Pick on a book on autocrossing and read it from cover to cover. Twice.
You'll learn about weight transfer. That's what autocrossing is all about.
When you can feel the car work on all 4 corners, you are on the right track...so to speak.
I raced AMA bikes in the 70's and started autocrossing in the mid 80's, road racing in the early 90's and I am still learning.
Have fun. This stuff is addicting.

Users who are viewing this thread