Driving 47, LA Trooper said I was doing 64 in a 50

LS WUT

Established Member
Yeah man, I have to agree. To the OP, we’ve got ticket clinic down here. I must admit, I’ve had my fair Share of run in’s with the lovely law enforcement down here in sunny florida. Even more so last year I was pulled over for 96 in a 45. He “wrote me” 93 in a 45 because if it was 96 it would have been 50+ which is a felony versus a misdemeanor of which I go to court etc and argue it there. I knew he was wrong, and he didn’t catch me going that fast. So I nodded and kept it simple. I said I’ll see you in court, and make sure you show up. So of course he could not prove what he got me radar’d at, then it became a matter of his instincts and his length on the force of how he determined my speed. Long story short it was raining, and crappy. I obviously wasn’t going 96mph on a Public road in the rain. I drive on DR, so that wouldn’t make any sense at all. My lawyer had a field day with this one in court, I enjoyed every minute on my zoom meeting after. Not trying to do a spoiler but, all I’ll say is I might be winning more than my case dismissed.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I think you're silly not to go to court and dispute the ticket, based on what you said about how fast you saw you were going (47) and the fact that there were other cars near you. Is it because you don't have the time to go, or just don't want to go?
Like I said earlier, it is my word against the cop. In LA they can hit you with the ticket fee, court cost and the cops time, I don't know if I want to risk it. I could pay 200 for the ticket or it could be close to 500 if I get a judge with constipation.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Like I said earlier, it is my word against the cop. In LA they can hit you with the ticket fee, court cost and the cops time, I don't know if I want to risk it. I could pay 200 for the ticket or it could be close to 500 if I get a judge with constipation.
200 + higher insurance for the next 3-5years

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
The proof is being stopped for the offense. Nobody is going back to my car unless they are in handcuffs. Officer safety, safety of the driver, the fact you don’t hold court on the side of the road, these are just a few reasons.

everyone should keep something else in mind as well, and nothing against the op or to say this is the case in op’s situation, but how many people say they looked down and weren‘t speeding? They don’t know when the officer verified their speed, which could have been farther back than they think. The vast majority feel they are “wronged” if they are stopped for speeding, and don‘t believe it. Yet, how many of us speed all of the time? Maybe ops attitude after being stopped played a role. I’m not saying to op that this is a didndonuffin circumstance, but theres a possibility the cop was right However, if not, go to court which you have every right to do.

FWIW, I feel a lot of stops like this where the driver is actually ticketed is complete bullshit.
I didn't show attitude until he said I was getting a ticket and not giving me a break.

This dickhead had me get out of the car and stand on the side of the hwy, he didn't care about our safety at all.

I don't speed as general a rule, I was on the clock for work so I don't even go 5 over for the man. I have not got a ticket in 30 years.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't show attitude until he said I was getting a ticket and not giving me a break.

This dickhead had me get out of the car and stand on the side of the hwy, he didn't care about our safety at all.

I don't speed as general a rule, I was on the clock for work so I don't even go 5 over for the man. I have not got a ticket in 30 years.
Just to be clear bro, I didn’t say that was your case, but I was speaking generally. I also said that regardless, it’s bullshit.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Out of all the states I've driven through LA is one of the biggest shit holes, right up there with Mass. and CT. LA is nothing but swamp, cops, and road construction.
I'd fight it if I was you. But are you sure you weren't doing 64 and hit the brakes when you seen the cop?

I wonder if it would be admissible if you had a dash cam showing you weren't speeding.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
This is a terrible story. My best bud was a local cop, I went on lots of ride-alongs with him and I got to see the 'sausage being made'. It wasn't pretty, too many cops have very bad attitudes, treating every John Doe as the 'enemy'.

But anyway, my question to anyone reading is: would a dash cam recording (with GPS and speed) provide evidence in court? In the case of our OP here, the oncoming LE vehicle would have been visible, and OP's speed could be read from the dash cam video at that exact moment.

BlackStang00

Established Member
The only problem I see with that is calibration. The court can call into question when the last time the officer’s radar was calibrated (unless he estimated speed visually) so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same with some random dash cam. And it’s still his word against the op’s.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
So researching tickets in Louisiana I saw that they allow a defensive driving course and they will drop the ticket. I go down to the courthouse for the Parish and the lady tells me they don't do that in Terrebonne Parish but they have an Article *** (don't remember the number) and if you pay the ticket and stay ticket free for 6 months the ticket is dropped and not reported. So in my book this case is closed. Thanks

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
So researching tickets in Louisiana I saw that they allow a defensive driving course and they will drop the ticket. I go down to the courthouse for the Parish and the lady tells me they don't do that in Terrebonne Parish but they have an Article *** (don't remember the number) and if you pay the ticket and stay ticket free for 6 months the ticket is dropped and not reported. So in my book this case is closed. Thanks

Keep your right foot off the loud petal for 6 months, and your are in the clear!

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
If you're set on paying the ticket, go for traffic school. It's a little extra, but then you don't get a point. I'm not sure how it works in LA, but in Orange County, traffic school is online. Super quick and easy.

I used Ticket Clinic for my last ticket as I had attended traffic school within 18 months of it. OC Sherriff said I didn't stop at a right turn on red. They got the ticket dismissed; I only paid their fee.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Lived in CA for 6 years. Hire a traffic attorney. That ticket will go bye bye, especially if it's your first in 30 years. You could also do online traffic school for like $8 to make it go away. Definitely don't "just pay it." That's your worst option in CA.

rborden

Established Member
He was a class A prick. I honestly believe he didn't show it because I was not doing 64.

Not going to contest it. It's my word against a leo word. I was told by a co worker who payed to talk to a lawyer here when he got pulled over for roughly the same thing. He was told that if you fight it here and the judge agrees with the cop I could possibly have to pay the ticket, court costs and the the cops time. He also told me that they can reschedule here and give the cop another try at showing up. Not sure if any of that is true, maybe a leo from LA can chime in.
Can you not hire an attorney and have the ticket amended to a lesser violation or no points?

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Lived in CA for 6 years. Hire a traffic attorney. That ticket will go bye bye, especially if it's your first in 30 years. You could also do online traffic school for like $8 to make it go away. Definitely don't "just pay it." That's your worst option in CA.
It's Louisiana not CA. I was using the abbreviation.

rborden

Established Member
Nice.

Most places call that a diversion. You pay the fine, no points, nothing shows on your record, they dismiss it after the 6 mos. Glad to see it work out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread