Driving 47, LA Trooper said I was doing 64 in a 50

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
In LA working, driving in a 50, look ahead and see a LA Trooper coming towards me on 2 lane rd. I look immediately at speedo and see it is 47, he passes me, turns around and lights me up. Stops 30' behind me and yells to get out of the car, I already had my DL and rental car info in my hand. I am thinking why does he want me out of the car? Get out walk up to him and ask what I did. He says DL and insurance , I hand it over and again ask what I did wrong. He says 64 in a 50, I asked him if he was sure it was me as I was about 5 car lengths behind another car and a vehicle was behind me. He said it was me. I asked him was he sure as I had looked at me speedo right when I saw him and it was at 47. I asked him if he could give me a warning since I have not had a speeding ticket in 30 years and right then he started writing and said once he starts he can't stop. I then asked if I could see the radar and he of course said no. I know I'm screwed, it's a no win situation so I am just going to pay the ticket. So to that LA Trooper, FU. This type of behavior certainly does not help the hate people have against cops. I'm a cop lover but this gives me pause. End rant.

BlackStang00

Established Member
I’m not sure if it’s just local, but agencies around here cannot save speed info so that might be why he couldn’t show it to you. It would’ve been nice if he could explain why he couldn’t show you.

Are you going to contest the ticket? Any inconsistency on the ticket is enough to fight it. Also if he doesn’t show up it gets thrown out.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
You absolutely do not allow anyone to view radar in your car. That’s a big no no. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with an L.E. You can request a court date and appear and explain to the judge why you feel you were wronged. That’s your only recourse at this point.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
He was a class A prick. I honestly believe he didn't show it because I was not doing 64.

Not going to contest it. It's my word against a leo word. I was told by a co worker who payed to talk to a lawyer here when he got pulled over for roughly the same thing. He was told that if you fight it here and the judge agrees with the cop I could possibly have to pay the ticket, court costs and the the cops time. He also told me that they can reschedule here and give the cop another try at showing up. Not sure if any of that is true, maybe a leo from LA can chime in.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
He was a class A prick. I honestly believe he didn't show it because I was not doing 64.

Not going to contest it. It's my word against a leo word. I was told by a co worker who payed to talk to a lawyer here when he got pulled over for roughly the same thing. He was told that if you fight it here and the judge agrees with the cop I could possibly have to pay the ticket, court costs and the the cops time. He also told me that they can reschedule here and give the cop another try at showing up. Not sure if any of that is true, maybe a leo from LA can chime in.
There are a lot of different personalities who do the job. You will NEVER be granted a request to view radar. I can tell you that unless the officer “locks” the speed in, it won’t save on the screen anyway. I also wish I had more faith in our criminal justice system and judges, but sadly I lost that a while ago.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Does LA allow you to plead no contest at the Clerk of Courts? You pay the fine, don't admit guilt, no points, and a time limit of no like tickets and your good to go.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
You absolutely do not allow anyone to view radar in your car. That’s a big no no. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with an L.E. You can request a court date and appear and explain to the judge why you feel you were wronged. That’s your only recourse at this point.
Why can’t the show proof of an individual speeding?

MG0h3

Established Member

I got my first speeding ticket in 20+ years a while back. Downhill in a school zone in my 02 Focus. POS is in 4th gear to break 25. Was in a part of town I’d never been in and didn’t see the sign and no kids anywhere but oh well.

Coworker gives me the name of some law office that fights tickets. Says you pay them $50 and the ticket’s gone. I called BS.

Well, he was right. Maybe it’s because I was only a few MPH over, clean record, who knows.

So look into that.

Rewind 25yrs to a reckless in my 5.0 just out of high school. Got a little sideways in the rain leaving a stoplight. Sure wish my rear defroster was working. All fogged up and the State Trooper was behind me at the light. Ooops.

I contested it and then changed the date. Trooper never showed up and it was dropped.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
If you don't want the points, just hire a lawyer. You'll spend more than the ticket is on the lawyer and they'll more than likely get it knocked down to some non moving violation like "faulty equipment" or something.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you're silly not to go to court and dispute the ticket, based on what you said about how fast you saw you were going (47) and the fact that there were other cars near you. Is it because you don't have the time to go, or just don't want to go?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Why can’t the show proof of an individual speeding?
The proof is being stopped for the offense. Nobody is going back to my car unless they are in handcuffs. Officer safety, safety of the driver, the fact you don’t hold court on the side of the road, these are just a few reasons.

everyone should keep something else in mind as well, and nothing against the op or to say this is the case in op’s situation, but how many people say they looked down and weren‘t speeding? They don’t know when the officer verified their speed, which could have been farther back than they think. The vast majority feel they are “wronged” if they are stopped for speeding, and don‘t believe it. Yet, how many of us speed all of the time? Maybe ops attitude after being stopped played a role. I’m not saying to op that this is a didndonuffin circumstance, but theres a possibility the cop was right However, if not, go to court which you have every right to do.

FWIW, I feel a lot of stops like this where the driver is actually ticketed is complete bullshit.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The proof is being stopped for the offense. Nobody is going back to my car unless they are in handcuffs. Officer safety, safety of the driver, the fact you don’t hold court on the side of the road, these are just a few reasons.

everyone should keep something else in mind as well, and nothing against the op or to say this is the case in op’s situation, but how many people say they looked down and weren‘t speeding? They don’t know when the officer verified their speed, which could have been farther back than they think. The vast majority feel they are “wronged” if they are stopped for speeding, and don‘t believe it. Yet, how many of us speed all of the time? Maybe ops attitude after being stopped played a role. I’m not saying to op that this is a didndonuffin circumstance, but theres a possibility the cop was right However, if not, go to court which you have every right to do.

FWIW, I feel a lot of stops like this where the driver is actually ticketed is complete bullshit.
Your point is well taken. I agree. Heck, it's happened to me numerous times.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Coworker gives me the name of some law office that fights tickets. Says you pay them $50 and the ticket’s gone. I called BS.

weve got ticket clinic around here. My old roommate used them twice, I think it was ~150 each time. He paid them, the ticket, some court costs and his record was clean after. 14mph over the insurance jump will cost more than the lawyer seeing how that'll stick around for 3-5 years

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had so many damn tickets back when I was younger, a few were wrongfully given. I fought a couple, I even won one of them.

I was on a highway once with a cop 5 CARS behind me on the highway in the fast lane. He pulled me over for "following too close". Explain that one. No one be could see shit form 5 cars back. I dont tailgate anyway.
I fought that one. I lost that one. It happens.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
OP, you said you are in LA for work and have a rental car. Your location says Atlanta.

I'm a rebel in my old age. I say go to court and fight it or pay a lawyer to represent you and have the ticket dismissed as mentioned by @MG0h3 or say the hell with it. What are they going to do? Extradite you back to LA for a speeding ticket? LMAO!!!

I didn't say it was smart advice LMAO!!!

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

Makes sense. Thanks!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

Well it is Louisanna… he’s orney because he lives there…

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Well it is Louisanna… he’s orney because he lives there…
1659623620631.gif

Users who are viewing this thread