Driveway Ramp to prevent scraping...

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I hope this is the correct section of the forum to ask...move it if need be.

What do you guys do to prevent scraping of your car when exiting or entering a steep driveway? I've tried extreme angles and backing it in in reverse with no improvement. I actually even contacted the owner of Bridjit ramps and he has told me straight up that his ramps will not work due to the lip present from the driveway which could cause the ramp to shoot up at the undercarriage of my car and cause damage.

I was thinking of getting a couple of 2'x4's and then covering them both with a large piece of carpet (to prevent the boards from flying up and hitting my car as I drive over them)....what do you guys think? "Fixing" driveway is not an option as HOA will not allow it....

_Snake_

Established Member
You're just looking to add something to the gutter of your driveway that's not permanent?

10splaya22

Established Member
I actually even contacted the owner of Bridjit ramps and he has told me straight up that his ramps will not work due to the lip present from the driveway which could cause the ramp to shoot up at the undercarriage of my car and cause damage.

He mentioned that in the first post.

OP: Do you have a picture of your driveway?

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
You're just looking to add something to the gutter of your driveway that's not permanent?

Yeah..definitely not permanent...I don't mind the hassle in bringing it out or putting it away after every ride in the car...

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
IMG_2498.JPG

There it is...lol Btw..car has completely stock suspension (not lowered or aftermarket rims/tires).

Last edited:

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I've actually tried (2) 2x4s, but they always seem to shoot back as I am going up the driveway plus it still scrapes a bit (thinking something thicker than 2" w/same length might work), but perhaps an old area rug might provide the extra grip and also at the same time prevent the boards from shooting up or shooting back...

If I don't place the 2x4 after the lip (apron?) of the driveway the 2x4 always ends up splitting down the middle from the weight of the car...

Last edited:

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I've actually tried (2) 2x4s, but they always seem to shoot back as I am going up the driveway plus it still scrapes a bit (thinking something thicker than 2" w/same length might work), but perhaps an old area rug might provide the extra grip and also at the same time prevent the boards from shooting up or shooting back...

If I don't place the 2x4 after the lip (apron?) of the driveway the 2x4 always ends up splitting down the middle from the weight of the car...

I was thinking just laying one parallel with the curb. Actually right on top of the curb which looks to be the center of the dip. In theory it would give you 2" more clearance, do you think that would be enough to get your car in?

Edit: I reread what you typed and it's sounding like you tried it this way already.

Last edited:

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I was thinking just laying one parallel with the curb. Actually right on top of the curb which looks to be the center of the dip. In theory it would give you 2" more clearance, do you think that would be enough to get your car in?

Edit: I reread what you typed and it's sounding like you tried it this way already.

It still scrapes with the 2x4s (probably need an inch thicker). What worries me is the wood shooting back (heard an audible THUD when one of the 2x4s moved back after going over it with the rear tires (hence the possible carpet solution)).

Just thinking out loud..what about that adhesive "traction tape" that people use for their stairs/steps? I imagine I can adhere it to the 2x4s and it would grip more with the the driveway cement to prevent them from moving (still haven't tried the carpet thingy yet)

tape.PNG

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Hey Phil long time no see since that last cruise up to HMB... I have the same problem as you. My curve however might dip slightly more where asphalt meets concrete. What I did as a quick fix but worked the first time was lay a 2x6 and tapered the ends or in my case the edges as I laid it horizontal to fill the gap and not as a ramp. Since I cut/tapered the edges to fill the bottom gap it has zero wobble and the slight asphalt lip prevents it from sliding back and under the car.

While that worked I wanted it to be fuss free and a straighter angle so I screwed a sheet of ply. While not so convenient to some, after a few times it became second nature and dragging it out hasn't bugged me.

_Snake_

Established Member
Yeah..definitely not permanent...I don't mind the hassle in bringing it out or putting it away after every ride in the car...

I was going to suggest something similar to the BRIDJIT, but made out of plywood with a wooden frame / skeleton on the back for support. A friend made one to get his tube chassis car in and out of his driveway and it's worked perfectly.

Cut the plywood to size and basically run a 2x4 lengthwise down the middle like a spinal cord. Then attach tapered "ribs" perpendicular to the 2x4 every 18" or so (obviously the thick piece is against the 2x4 and they taper down towards the edges of the plywood). Kind of hard to explain, but try to imagine each rib being shaped like a door stop / shim.

oldmodman

Established Member
I don't think that a homeowners association can prevent you from repairing a damaged concrete driveway.

When I replaced my driveway I had it made six feet wider, and the ramp extends to halfway across the sidewalk.

This is a common type of upgrade and is always stamped "approved" if there is ANY cracking of the existing driveway. The permits bypass all HOA rules if they pertain to the safety of the street. And your driveway is actually considered a part of the street.

It cost me, labor, materials, and permits $645.00.

verbal

Established Member
I had the same issue with my GT500 at my old house. I built two ramps out of 10"x6' lumber and had another smaller piece attached to the bottom to fill the void of the dip in the curb. I put two small marks on the driveway so the ramps always lined up with the wheels. It was a pain in the ass to carry the ramps in and out and my neighbors thought I was crazy. It worked though.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys (keep them coming):). Couple of you guys pm'd me and stated the car would actually slip across the carpet (but would keep the wood positioned) so that is not a 100% solution, but might work if I still go at an extreme angle with at least one of the tires touching pavement.

I wonder if I have a shop just cut up some diamond plate or something into a a large rectangle to just cover the gap between the street and driveway apron..hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread