drivetrain question

joeschmoemmix

Vigilant
Established Member
I've been considering trading my escape in for a new who and I've got some questions I can't seem to find an answer to.

Does anyone know how much power the drivetrain can handle?

I'm looking at the 440 power package, but I don't want to get it if its too much for the drivetrain.

All I have read so far is that "Ford dialed back the boost to avoid tearing the drivetrain apart" but no one can specify exactly what it'll take to do damage.

I know it can happen on stock cars, and there's always the risk. But not a single thing I've read gives any hint into my concerns.

Mr.Unassailable

Established Member
I have owned multiple Volvo S60Rs, still have one. The AWD is very similar. The week link was the angle gear. The S60R with good maintenance could be ran safely with 400 on the wheels. Most people did not maintain them well though, many failures reported. Also the new set up is updated. I'm sure with good maintenance (I recommend a good royal purple flush every 12-15k) it will be no issue. My SHO has 44k on it, I drive it hard (no mods, that's what the SS is for). I have had 0 issues.

Sent from my iPhone

MineralGSVT

Established Member
I have owned multiple Volvo S60Rs, still have one. The AWD is very similar. The week link was the angle gear. The S60R with good maintenance could be ran safely with 400 on the wheels. Most people did not maintain them well though, many failures reported. Also the new set up is updated. I'm sure with good maintenance (I recommend a good royal purple flush every 12-15k) it will be no issue. My SHO has 44k on it, I drive it hard (no mods, that's what the SS is for). I have had 0 issues.

Sent from my iPhone

Not to get off topic, but how do you like the SHO compared to the S60R?

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
The tune is by far the biggest bang for the buck mod for these cars.

All of our tunes have been developed in-house on our AWD chassis dyno or the track and proven on the street using our Taurus SHO, F150 & Flex EcoBoost shop vehicles.

To my knowledge, we’ve tuned more EcoBoost vehicles than anyone in the country (over 500 not including F150) and have had zero failures of any kind. We also claim the world's quickest Gen IV SHO, a customer's vehicle which runs 12.13 @ 117 mph. Our 2010 SHO with only our custom tune and Corsa exhaust went a best of 12.69 @ 107 mph, and a customer with the CAI, Exhaust, and Tune went 12.40 @ 111 mph. Our Flex with only our custom tune has been a best of 13.3 @ 103 mph.

We have a car in here now to test some new products that was tuned with only a few hundred miles and it has nearly 80,000 now with no issues and a lot of track passes.

Here is a video of our car and some customer cars at the track. [youtube_browser]92FGf5sjoGE[/youtube_browser]

-Rick

D.T.R

Established Member
Quick question,
Does the tune on these cars also void the warranty? Kind of like what they're doing with the 5.0s ? then the Ford dealership tries to avoid any kind of work on the car simply because "it was tuned" ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread