Driveshaft realignment

wckdvnm

Established Member
So I’m not 100% sure if the driveshaft is currently aligned correctly but how would you be able to realign the driveshaft if it doesn’t have the paint marks on it anymore. I ask because I’m going to change my clutch and I want to check and see if there’s a way to tell. If it doesn’t matter the orientation of the driveshaft I’ll just try to keep it where it is and let it be.

Soap

Established Member
The only way it would be aligned incorrectly is if you have a vibration, so if you don't then you have nothing to worry about.

If you do have a vibration, you just have to clock it over one bolt hole, take it for a ride and see if the vibration is still there. If it is, then rinse and repeat until the vibration goes away.

--Joe

Dave.O

Established Member
some one please correct me if I am wrong...
I think alignment was only an issue with factory cast iron/steel dive shafts.
the 03-04 cobras came stock with aluminum drive shafts whish should have been high speed balanced from factory and no longer be alignment specific to pinion flange.
I upgraded my 99 cobra to t56 with 03 flange and aluminum driveshaft (obviously no previous OEM alignment) with no issues

wckdvnm

Established Member
See I found little info about it when I searched it so I figured I post the question up and see if anyone knew the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Comp04svt

Established Member
If you aren't having any vibration issues now then you should be fine to just mark the driveshaft position before you remove it, then just put it in the same spot when re installing. That's what I've always done. Even if the driveshaft is high speed balanced and all that, it's never a bad idea to mark it to be sure.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Your not talking about setting the correct pinion angle are you?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
No just driveshaft placement/ orientation

Ok cool. Well like posted above, its trial and error. If you are getting irregular driveline vibes at freewayish speeds disconnect the d/s and spin it one bolt over and try it again. Take notes and pick which way feels best. This is assuming that you already eliminated wheel/tire balance issues.

wckdvnm

Established Member
So to add info to this situation I found my car which has never had gears swapped in or anything of that nature. On the stock pinion flange there is a dot cast into it and that lines up perfectly with the weight located on the stock drive shaft. Car runs perfectly with no vibration at all.

Users who are viewing this thread