Driver side valve cover leak???

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I was on track at Mid America Motorplex Saturday morning racing American Iron with NASA Central Region about 12 laps in the car filled with smoke. Oil pressure was still good, I think the Accusump helped with that.

I came in to the pits and the car was running really rough. I shut the car off and lifted the hood.

The driver side valve cover has a nice hole in it up by where the timing chains are. Best I can figure the tensioner on the driverside head lost pressure and the chain jumped or broke. The main chain still appears to be in one peice so I dont know what happened. Im thinking a cam seized in the head.

I'll post pics as I tear it down. I hope to make the September race @ Hastings.

Wheres the best place to get a DOHC long block from? I really want something I can just drop in place and turn the key on.

I did everything right with this motor, I changed the oil after every race, the car had a 2qt Accusump, big LFP radiator, yada yada yada lot of good it all did.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The thread title was a joke.

Where can I get a turn key DOHC that will survive road racing?

MMR?

32ValveStang

Established Member
I have the same issue with my 01 at the moment. Big peice of the valve cover popped and left a hole, I have no idea what happened the chains still attached and has tension. Did you take it off using the booster method?

Badaz01

Established Member
Drop in and turn key I’d say mmr as already mentioned. Although I had a poster on here once tell me stay away from already built mmr motors idk why. What I can say from personal experience you would probably be better off pulling your motor and rebuilding that way you can see step by step what’s wrong and the condition everything else is in. I pondered buying an mmr motor and the cost of the prebuilt motor by the time it was swapped was about break even with cost of building my own even though I haven’t done so yet.

32ValveStang

Established Member
God damn. I was really hoping I would be able to some what salvage what I can but I guess I'll be pulling motor soon. I was thinking the timing was off or something cause I just hit about 106k in it. And also was scared I needed a whole new block because on the bolt that tightens the valve cover to motor broke off also by the power steering reservoir. Thanks for input also!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Seeing as the last post was from 2012 I don't think you're going to get much of a response.

Valve covers don't just break on these. Something made the hole. If you have the means I'd pull it before removing the valve cover. They're pretty close time wise anyway. Plus you're probably going to end up going deeper than you think.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Drop in and turn key I’d say mmr as already mentioned. Although I had a poster on here once tell me stay away from already built mmr motors idk why. What I can say from personal experience you would probably be better off pulling your motor and rebuilding that way you can see step by step what’s wrong and the condition everything else is in. I pondered buying an mmr motor and the cost of the prebuilt motor by the time it was swapped was about break even with cost of building my own even though I haven’t done so yet.
That was probably me. And it was for reasons like this thread. And as I mentioned before I had 3 friends with MMR built engines. They all ended up having issues. One of them was the whatever version was made for 1000hp. It never saw boost and it ended up getting stored in my garage in pieces.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/be-aware-of-mmr-see-how-i-wasted-14k.1194792/

32ValveStang

Established Member
I guess I'll keep you guess updated and make a newer post regarding pulling motor out and checking what's wrong. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined just don't want to mess something on the way out, so any input on that is much appreciated.

32ValveStang

Established Member
to be honest, ive played with the thought of throwing in a 2j in it or maybe somehow getting my hands on a voodoo motor and dropping it in. haven't seen or heard of it done before but i also dont have that kind of cash right now haha

Users who are viewing this thread