Drive shaft question??

Kreep306

Established Member
Does anyone on here run a Aluminum drive shaft? Which are you using and were any modifications made to fit??

shurur

Established Member
199-01 mustang cobra is 44.5"..T45/3650 to IRS

The standard 45.5" will be tight...some say that's ok....T45 to SRA
And the terminator 43.5" will have plenty of play. T56 to IRS

I got a P71 AL DS and had it cut to proper length.

Any AL DS that is long enough can be cut down and your yoke and flange attached to it with new u-joints.

AM sells one now..but $$$ ouch....
Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft - 31 spline (99, 01 Cobra) - Free Shipping

marcoc

Established Member
I am running one on my 99. I bought it on sale from American Muscle. Very good quality and bolted right up in 30 minutes. Came with spicer u-joints and cost me under $400. It wieghed in at 13lbs vs. 21lbs of stock shaft. I picked it up because it was a good deal and I had light vibes with my 4.10's. Car drives "lighter" but its been shitty weather here in the NE lately so car hasnt been on the road in 3 months.

zPipes

Established Member
Ive contemplated this for a while. Ya know, I hear some controversy tho, I mean it is alot of dough, for nothing significant in return. Lighter rotating assembly? Shaving 8 lbs off curb weight? I mean, your not really gaining power, your not really losing any weight from the car you can do by taking out your spare tire for free. I dunno, maybe I haven't researched it enough to make a better decision, but I would need some pretty solid reasons for going to an aluminum ds.

shurur

Established Member
Ive contemplated this for a while. Ya know, I hear some controversy tho, I mean it is alot of dough, for nothing significant in return. Lighter rotating assembly? Shaving 8 lbs off curb weight? I mean, your not really gaining power, your not really losing any weight from the car you can do by taking out your spare tire for free. I dunno, maybe I haven't researched it enough to make a better decision, but I would need some pretty solid reasons for going to an aluminum ds.

I'd tend to agree; however, if you were to pick up an AL DS for $65 and have it cut, rejointed and spun for another $130 that could make it worth it......But then some folks will pay that for a CAI.

The AL DS, along with an AL FlyWheel, are seat-of-the-pants mods though..

Users who are viewing this thread